Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

bumper234 wrote: »
    Why would I do that? Do you not think the guards in Blanchardstown already know this? See it all comes back down to one little word......EVIDENCE...... Making accusations is one thing but having evidence of said crimes is another.

I piss down your back. I tell you it's raining. How do you make up your mind? Evidence??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Why would I do that? Do you not think the guards in Blanchardstown already know this? See it all comes back down to one little word......EVIDENCE...... Making accusations is one thing but having evidence of said crimes is another.

Never assume. Just do it, sounds like you're either blathing off or just withholding genuine information if true. Go down to Blanch Garda station and inform them what you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

What about the murderers of Julie Livingstone or worse the killers of Peter McBride who following conviction for his murder,were re-instated into the BA?

Still waiting on an answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

Humpty, you surprise me. :-)

HansHolzel wrote: »
    Humpty, you surprise me. :-)

It is a fair question to one who has so much to say about murder.
    The cases I mentioned have always bothered me deeply, especially the Mc Bride case as the two murderers were re-instated into the BA and promoted despite having been convicted of murder while serving in the BA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭LOSTfan57

I said I don't know any murderers in the British Army.

I don't "know" the shooter but I am aware of who he is and would know him to see.
    EVIDENCE!!!!
    Or rather is it mere speculation from a poppyite that will off-course not require evidence for there claims?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Bumper's silence is deafening.

:tumbleweed:

moxin wrote: »
    Never assume. Just do it, sounds like you're either blathing off or just withholding genuine information if true. Go down to Blanch Garda station and inform them what you know.

blathing off to make himself seem more important

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I know it was carried out by "republicans" I also know 3 hours after the initial shooting I got a phone call from a very senior republican in Belfast asking me for Information on the family.Biut yeah nothing to do with northern republicans right :rolleyes:

The campaign in the north was ended and the Army Council disbanded by the time it happened. Your own link says it was a splinter group. Seriously, get a grip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭whats the point

I know it was carried out by "republicans" I also know 3 hours after the initial shooting I got a phone call from a very senior republican in Belfast asking me for Information on the family.Biut yeah nothing to do with northern republicans right :rolleyes:

Just out of curiosity can a boards mod give this information to a member of the
    garda and also give the ip address? He seems to be withholding a lot of
    information that they might find useful.

• Advertisement

he'll be back with more wild hilarious hypocrisy :D

I said I don't know any murderers in the British Army.
    Scots Guardsmen Mark Wright and James Fisher convicted of the murder of Peter McBride, released and reinstated into the BA and then promoted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

LordSutch wrote: »
    Not forgetting of course, that the "Irish Poppy appeal" is an ROI affair. and if you buy a poppy in the ROI, then the procedes are kept within the ROI. This fact is lost on many. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87209009&postcount=663

Somebody who enforced Imperial rule who has an Irish passport doesn't get a free pass. It's deeds, not faith or nationality or race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Nodin wrote: »
    Somebody who enforced Imperial rule who has an Irish passport doesn't get a free pass. It's deeds, not faith or nationality or race.

And the deeds of my family members were to fight in WWI, and WWII against the Nazi's.
    No passports or passes required, just a commemoration of their names by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭drumaneen

Poppies are available in the Republic of Ireland. Limerick RBL offer a "Poppy Post" service to anywhere in Ireland for a DONATION via PayPal.
    There is also a distinctly Irish alternative on offer - see their page here http://rbl-limerick.webs.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

drumaneen wrote: »
    Poppies are available in the Republic of Ireland. Limerick RBL offer a "Poppy Post" service to anywhere in Ireland for a DONATION via PayPal.
    There is also a distinctly Irish alternative on offer - see their page here http://rbl-limerick.webs.com/

Whether in Ireland or Britain the Poppy theme has been corrupted by the Interested Parties. Regardless of them being the factory owners, the PC brigade or the feeble minded, wearing the poppy is now an accepted way of empathising with the status quo.

The dead are dead. They did what they did for various reasons. Whether pro or anti Nazi. Why perpetuate stupidity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

This is filthy and I will have no part in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

It's called going to bed and not sitting up all night rehashing the same arguments with you ;)

Just out of curiosity can a boards mod give this information to a member of the
    garda and also give the ip address? He seems to be withholding a lot of
    information that they might find useful.

Go for it ;)

Go for it ;)

Too much effort to do it yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Why would I want to give money in order to give ex UDR men (of whom 10 to 15% were in the UDA/UFF) cheap pints in their local legion?

LOSTfan57 wrote: »
    Too much effort to do it yourself?

To do what? Report myself to AGC :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Any chance you'd address the questions put to you Bumper?

Right folks, I think we can safely say that Bumper will not condemn the shooting dead of innocent men, women, and children, if the killers are in the British Army.

Charming.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭PaddyORuadhan

Nov 11 should not be a day of remembrance, it should be a day of outrage at those millions that were slaughtered to satisfy the whims of the elites and in the name of imperialism. The poppy only reinforces the idea that that somehow the struggles these young men and women died in was somehow honourable. With the exception of WW2 which was a necessary evil due to the horrific nature of fascism, all the wars that the poppy represents were events were whole generations were asked to kill and to die to protect the interests of the elites and powerful. WW1 in particular was a shameful episode in human history where a whole generation was slaughtered in a pointless waste of life, when young men from so many different countries were asked to kill and die at the beckon call of their political masters.

The best way to honour their deaths is not to glorify the war they fought in, but to oppose and resist the evils of war whenever it rears its head. You'll never find me wearing a poppy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

The best way to honour their deaths is not to glorify the war they fought in, but to oppose and resist the evils of war whenever it rears its head.

Good post that of yours^

Interestingly, the common theme on any remembrance Sunday I've ever been to is to recognise & understand the futility of war. Not to glorify it!

The wearing of the poppy for me, is to remember the fallen in a sombre and dignified way. Glorification should is not/should not be part of this moving occassion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

No its less than that for the Church of Ireland and I would imagine that it would be less again for the Methodists. However it may vary from region to region.

The Church of Ireland should have ripped out all the military stuff from its Churches decades ago- that is one thing I like about Catholic Chapels in general. There is an element in the Church of Ireland who treat it like an "Anglo-Irish" social club as opposed to a Church of Christ.

The "military stuff", as you call it, are memorials to people who have died in wars. Their relatives wanted to commemorate them, and they put up the memorials. In the church I attend, there is a memorial to five brothers who died in the first world war - do you want to rip that plaque off the wall?

I have no idea what you are talking about when you write of an "Anglo Irish" social club. You need to get to know what the CofI is really like, and forget your out of date stereotype.

Nov 11 should not be a day of remembrance, it should be a day of outrage at those millions that were slaughtered to satisfy the whims of the elites and in the name of imperialism. The poppy only reinforces the idea that that somehow the struggles these young men and women died in was somehow honourable. With the exception of WW2 which was a necessary evil due to the horrific nature of fascism, all the wars that the poppy represents were events were whole generations were asked to kill and to die to protect the interests of the elites and powerful. WW1 in particular was a shameful episode in human history where a whole generation was slaughtered in a pointless waste of life, when young men from so many different countries were asked to kill and die at the beckon call of their political masters.

The best way to honour their deaths is not to glorify the war they fought in, but to oppose and resist the evils of war whenever it rears its head. You'll never find me wearing a poppy.

Whether or not the wars were honourable, the men and women who died in them were honourable. It is right to commemorate them, and it doesn't mean you are honouring or celebrating the horror of the war they participated in.

Remembrance days don't celebrate war. Quite the opposite. They remind us of the horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,870 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Let's not get carried away with this WWII honourable crap.

The US, USSR, and Britain have all committed genocide, ethnic cleansing, invaded other countries, smashed democracy, just like Nazi Germany did.

France can hardly hold its head up high after all the sh*t they carried out in north Africa and Indo-China.

Ush1 wrote: »
    But they did and the ANC fought back. Maybe you're missing my point.

The ANC were insurgents just like the IRA.

The modus operandi of the ANC was not to murder and maim innocent people. Their idea was to target infrastructure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Let's not get carried away with this WWII honourable crap.

The US, USSR, and Britain have all committed genocide, ethnic cleansing, invaded other countries, smashed democracy, just like Nazi Germany did.

France can hardly hold its head up high after all the sh*t they carried out in north Africa and Indo-China.

So Britain, France, the US and USSR should have just stayed out of it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement