Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

annascott wrote: »
    I would happily wear one, but I never see them on sale here.

They sell them at Remembrance Day services; find out when your local one is on and go there!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,468 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

katydid wrote: »
    The modus operandi of the ANC was not to murder and maim innocent people. Their idea was to target infrastructure.

The ANC killed many civilians and if they were targeted seems obvious. They carried out attacks in public areas with many civilians.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Ush1 wrote: »
    The ANC killed many civilians and if they were targeted seems obvious. They carried out attacks in public areas with many civilians.

The ANC did kill civilians; sometimes renegade groups went on solo runs, and sometimes people were caught up in incidents.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not condoning what they did, but their purpose was not to kill people in order to terrorise the civilian population.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,120 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

This explains why some people dont want to wear the Poppy

http://107cowgate.com/2013/10/18/why-we-wont-wear-a-poppy/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

This explains why some people dont want to wear the Poppy

http://107cowgate.com/2013/10/18/why-we-wont-wear-a-poppy/

Bobby sands supporter then. Lol. What side would you be on them? He was surely a great man indeed, to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,120 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

timthumbni wrote: »
    Bobby sands supporter then. Lol. What side would you be on them? He was surely a great man indeed, to be sure.

hint have a look at my location that will tell you if i will wear a poppy or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

"A brave man who died for his country" - Lech Walesa.

IRA men in the H Blocks got degrees; Loyalists in the Blocks got high on e and steroids :-)

HansHolzel wrote: »
    "A brave man who died for his country" - Lech Walesa.

IRA men in the H Blocks got degrees; Loyalists in the Blocks got high on e and steroids :-)

Hmm. I think both the loyalist and republican prisoners were like the wee dirt on my shoe. I'm not really interested what these murdering scum of either side decide to do in pokey.

I'm not really interested what these murdering scum of either side decide to do in pokey.

Oh yes you are by constantly peddling the line that they were the same.

Stop pretending you're not on the Orange side.

Oh yes you are by constantly peddling the line that they were the same.

Stop pretending you're not on the Orange side.

Is that what you call unionists nowadays? Jaysus you are a wee bit sectarian there aren't ya? What should I call you exactly then? Very nice. Lovely in fact.

• Advertisement

It's one thing to be a Unionist for practical and cultural reasons but, by attempting to equate those violently for and violently against the status quo, you are pretending that there was nothing wrong with your rotten little statelet, only "scum" disrupting the peace.

It's one thing to be a Unionist for practical and cultural reasons but, by attempting to equate those violently for and violently against the status quo, you are pretending that there was nothing wrong with your rotten little statelet, only "scum" disrupting the peace.

Rotten little statelet. Lol that's the 2 nd time I've heard that on here this week. Both by people I can safely assume aren't from Northern Ireland btw. Very strange. Do you even like your own country by any chance? I love mine btw. Northern Ireland is great. Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Hmm. I think both the loyalist and republican prisoners were like the wee dirt on my shoe.

Gotta love how Timthumbni completely ignores the blurred lines between the security forces and Loyalists who murdered hundreds of innocent people.

Do you condemn RUC/UDR/BA collusion with Loyalist murder gangs?
    Rotten little statelet.

It's a pretty accurate description of how it was run by Unionists for Unionists backed by loyalist thugs.

Gotta love how Timthumbni completely ignores the blurred lines between the security forces and Loyalists who murdered hundreds of innocent people.

Do you condemn RUC/UDR/BA collusion with Loyalist murder gangs?

Yes, I do. I'm not sure why you continue to ask me that question like some kind of weird stalker. I hate the uvf,uda etc just as much as I hate the ira. I didn't realise that I ever suggested I would support any collusion. I assumed when I stated that I thought the loyalist paras were all scum that you would have put 2 and 2 together eh Carlos???

Funny I've never heard you saying the same about the Provos though. Odd? Who knows?

It's a pretty accurate description of how it was run by Unionists for Unionists backed by loyalist thugs.

Move on there Carlos. You aren't even from Northern Ireland Ffs. Why do you really care that much anyway. Most people up here are more laid back than you no matter waht side they hail from. Just chill man. It will be good for your health. Lol.

Yes, I do. I'm not sure why you continue to ask me that question like some kind of weird stalker.

Maybe not answering it sufficiently led to my 'stalking' of you.
    I hate the uvf,uda etc just as much as I hate the ira.

You keep telling us this. I wasn't asking you about them.
    Funny I've never heard you saying the same about the Provos though.

Use the search function, put in Enniskillen or Kingsmill and you'll see I have no problem condemning the IRA.

You aren't even from Northern Ireland Ffs.

I'm not sure why this matters. You're wrong btw.
    Why do you really care that much anyway.

I care deeply about all of this island including the north. I have strong connections with the north and have lots of Uncles, Aunts, Cousins and friends living there.
    Most people up here are more laid back than you no matter waht side they hail from. Just chill man. It will be good for your health.

I'm quite calm, thanks.

Maybe not answering it sufficiently led to my 'stalking' of you. You still seem to have skirted around it.

Timthumbni - So you were stalking me then. Phew. I though I was paranoid.

You keep telling us this. I wasn't asking you about them.

Timthumbni - hmm ok

So you do condemn UDR/RUC/BA collusion with loyalist murder gangs?

Timthumbni - yes. Please also refer to my previous post

Use the search function, put in Enniskillen or Kingsmill and you'll see I have no problem condemning the IRA.

Timthumbni - that's very good of you Carlos. You are a great fella, to be sure.

You are a great fella, to be sure.

I am aren't I? Thanks!

I am aren't I? Thanks!

As long as you don't continue to stalk me with rhetorical questions about loyalists then you will always be a great fella in my eyes. It's probably not easy understanding Northern Ireland when you left so young. Anyways it is late. Some of us have to work in the morning . Lol

• Advertisement

As long as you don't continue to stalk me with rhetorical questions about loyalists then you will always be a great fella in my eyes.

Honestly, if you think I'm stalking you you're paranoid.
    It's probably not easy understanding Northern Ireland when you left so young.

Oh I understand it alright. I'm also in the position to understand it from a bit of a distance - something perhaps you can't.

Anyhoo, I think it's good that you acknowledge there was collusion. I think we're done here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

Move on there Carlos. You aren't even from Northern Ireland Ffs. Why do you really care that much anyway. Most people up here are more laid back than you no matter waht side they hail from. Just chill man. It will be good for your health. Lol.

I dont think this is true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

katydid wrote: »
    The ANC did kill civilians; sometimes renegade groups went on solo runs, and sometimes people were caught up in incidents.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not condoning what they did, but their purpose was not to kill people in order to terrorise the civilian population.

The ANC used no warning bombs on commerical/civilian targets. It put tires soaked in petrol around peoples knecks and than set them alight in public. They did at times- and many more times than the Provos- set out to terrorize civilian populations. Now yes we can say that over all their armed struggle was very justified and the only real road open to them; but let us not romanticize their armed campaign.

The idea that some people have of the Provisionals being uniquely evil is also very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭PaddyORuadhan

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Let's not get carried away with this WWII honourable crap.

The US, USSR, and Britain have all committed genocide, ethnic cleansing, invaded other countries, smashed democracy, just like Nazi Germany did.

France can hardly hold its head up high after all the sh*t they carried out in north Africa and Indo-China.

I wasn't saying it was honourable... I am just saying that of all the modern wars, its one that I can't oppose outright. The 'good' guys were not good, but Nazi Germany was such a vicious militaristic regime it needed to be stopped.

In the big picture it really wouldn't have mattered who won WW1, as far as how it affected the lives of ordinary people across Europe. Whereas the outcome of WW2 did have serious implications to nature of European society.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭policarp

Nazi Germany was such a vicious militaristic regime it needed to be stopped.

And the brits weren't?
    What the brits did to the Australian Aborigines, the American Indians, the Zulus, the Rhodesians, the Pakastanis, etc. etc. etc. and the Irish.
    They taught the Germans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

policarp wrote: »
    And the brits weren't?
    What the brits did to the Australian Aborigines, the American Indians, the Zulus, the Rhodesians, the Pakastanis, etc. etc. etc. and the Irish.
    They taught the Germans.

....yet the Nazi regime was worse, in that it was genocidal in the most severe reading of the term. In some regards yes, the Russians and Germans did what the British did, except mostly in Europe as opposed to Africa and elsewhere, but the Nazis were certainly the worst of the bunch. Nice uniforms, fair enough, but an evil regime that had to be stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Right folks, I think we can safely say that Bumper will not condemn the shooting dead of innocent men, women, and children, if the killers are in the British Army.

Charming.
    Don't kid yourself that there aren't posters on here who won't condemn the shooting dead of innocents when the killers are in the IRA, either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Any chance you'd address the questions put to you Bumper?

Right folks, I think we can safely say that Bumper will not condemn the shooting dead of innocent men, women, and children, if the killers are in the British Army.

Charming.

I have no problem condemning murderers and i have done so already. ANYONE who kills innocent people deserves to be punished (personally i believe in corporal punishment) but just because i don't reply to your posts within seconds does not mean i am avoiding them it just means i have not seen them :rolleyes:

Will you now condemn the murderers of Jean McConville, Robert McCarthy, Tim Parry and all of the other innocent victims of the IRA scum who targeted innocent men women and children?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

bumper234 wrote: »
    I have no problem condemning murderers and i have done so already. ANYONE who kills innocent people deserves to be punished (personally i believe in corporal punishment) but just because i don't reply to your posts within seconds does not mean i am avoiding them it just means i have not seen them :rolleyes:

Can you appreciate that posters on here don't want to contribute to an appeal which doesn't exclude said murderers from its list of potential beneficiaries?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭PaddyORuadhan

policarp wrote: »
    And the brits weren't?
    They taught the Germans.

Did I defend British Imperialism...or imperialism by any country? Quite to the contrary, I think I made it quite clear that I oppose imperialism in all its forms..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement