Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

bumper234 wrote: »
    Funny that because i have been to many remembrance services in Dublin and never once been asked about or offered a poppy.

eh...maybe that was because you were already wearing one, or did you take it off specifically for the service? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Happyman42 wrote: »
    eh...maybe that was because you were already wearing one, or did you take it off specifically for the service? :rolleyes:

Or maybe my poppy was on my suit lapel and because it was cold (November and all that) I usually have a coat on over it. :rolleyes:

Or maybe my poppy was on my suit lapel and because it was cold (November and all that) I usually have a coat on over it. :rolleyes:

You should have bought 2, tightwad! :rolleyes:

You should have bought 2, tightwad! :rolleyes:

I buy one every year i also have the ceramic one that i wear everyday on my jacket. I buy 2 help for heroes bands a year and i make a £100 donation to the RBL so i think i do my bit thanks.

I buy one every year i also have the ceramic one that i wear everyday on my jacket. I buy 2 help for heroes bands a year and i make a £100 donation to the RBL so i think i do my bit thanks.

I believe you, but how all that casts cold water on my claim that I felt under pressure to wear one (not buy one incidentally) I have no idea.

As the purpose of the poppy is to be seen, I suggest you wear one on your coat btw.

• Advertisement

I believe you, but how all that casts cold water on my claim that I felt under pressure to wear one (not buy one incidentally) I have no idea.

As the purpose of the poppy is to be seen, I suggest you wear one on your coat btw.

No because i don't feel the need to wear it "on display" 24/7 i wear it not to make a statement but to remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

No because i don't feel the need to wear it "on display" 24/7 i wear it not to make a statement but to remember.

Can you not just remember in your own self then without the need to flaunt it?, the poppy is more a fashion accessory at this stage, especially on British TV.

I wanted to do that without wearing the poppy too. That is why I was at the service.

wazky wrote: »
    Can you not just remember in your own self then without the need to flaunt it?, the poppy is more a fashion accessory at this stage, especially on British TV.

How am i "flaunting" it?

How am i "flaunting" it?

Why do you need to show publicly that you are 'remembering'? Most people are remembering every day, people who have gone, without the need to show it publicly. There is no doubt in my mind that there is another purpose to the 'poppy' and 'Easter lily', it isn't solely about remembering.

• Advertisement

Why do you need to show publicly that you are 'remembering'? Most people are remembering every day, people who have gone, without the need to show it publicly. There is no doubt in my mind that there is another purpose to the 'poppy' and 'Easter lily', it isn't solely about remembering.

Because when i see it it makes me think of my Grandfathers and the sacrifices they made for me and others. Just because you feel there is another purpose to the poppy is neither here nor there, that's your opinion and you are entitled to have it....in fact men fought and died in wars so you are able to voice that opinion but they shouldn't be remembered right:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Because when i see it it makes me think of my Grandfathers and the sacrifices they made for me and others. Just because you feel there is another purpose to the poppy is neither here nor there, that's your opinion and you are entitled to have it....in fact men fought and died in wars so you are able to voice that opinion but they shouldn't be remembered right:rolleyes:

So you need a constant reminder on your lapel to remind of your Grandfathers?

wazky wrote: »
    So you need a constant reminder on your lapel to remind of your Grandfathers?

Nope but i do constantly wear it as a reminder ;)

Because when i see it it makes me think of my Grandfathers and the sacrifices they made for me and others.
    So, you have to see one to remember them. That's fair enough if a little sad.
    Just because you feel there is another purpose to the poppy is neither here nor there,
    I thought that was the point of the thread...silly me.
    in fact men fought and died in wars so you are able to voice that opinion but they shouldn't be remembered right:rolleyes:

I don't need to see a poppy to remember that.

So, you have to see one to remember them. That's fair enough if a little sad.

I never said that but nice twist on my words ;)

I thought that was the point of the thread...silly me.

Maybe you should start at the beginning then

I don't need to see a poppy to remember that.

Good man....keep up the good work ;)

I never said that but nice twist on my words
    Here's what you said,
    Because when i see it it makes me think of my Grandfathers and the sacrifices they made for me and others.

It is quite logical to infer that if the only reason for wearing the poppy is the above, that not wearing it means you will forget to remember.

Here's what you said,

It is quite logical to infer that if the only reason for wearing the poppy is the above, that not wearing it means you will forget to remember.

I have a pictures of both my Grandfathers in their Uniform in my house that i see everyday so i have plenty of "reminders" thanks. Feel free to keep twisting the meanings though it's quite funny to watch you resort to twisting words to suit your own agenda.

Keep up the good work ;)

I have a pictures of both my Grandfathers in their Uniform in my house that i see everyday so i have plenty of "reminders" thanks.

So why the need to see the poppy displayed? Sorry, it is you that is being unclear here.

So why the need to see the poppy displayed? Sorry, it is you that is being unclear here.

Who said it is "displayed"?

Who said it is "displayed"?

Because when you say 'I see it' usually means something is 'displayed'.

• Advertisement

Because when you say 'I see it' usually means something is 'displayed'.

ah i see

Do you display your tie?

Do you display your shoes?

Do you display your jeans?

Do you display your glasses?

I see myself in a mirror right now....does that mean i am on display? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

in fact men fought and died in wars so you are able to voice that opinion but they shouldn't be remembered right:rolleyes:

Are you back at this? What men died for my freedom of speech then?

ah i see

Do you display your tie?

Do you display your shoes?

Do you display your jeans?

Do you display your glasses?

I see myself in a mirror right now....does that mean i am on display? :confused:

Ok, I see where this is going. Your fear to go any further into why there is a need to publicly display that you are 'remembering' is palpable.

Bambi wrote: »
    Are you back at this? What men died for my freedom of speech then?

Plenty of Irishmen have died over the years haven't they? Did none of them ever fight for your rights? Or where they just handed to you on a plate?

Ok, I see where this is going. Your fear to go any further into why there is a need to publicly display that you are 'remembering' is palpable.

I have no "need" to display publicly or any other way. I "choose" to wear a poppy.....no one has ever had a problem with me doing this over the years so why does it seem to bother you?

I have no "need" to display publicly or any other way. I "choose" to wear a poppy.....no one has ever had a problem with me doing this over the years so why does it seem to bother you?

I merely asked you why do you 'choose' to wear one. You said it was because seeing it reminded you of your relatives.
    I asked you why you 'needed to see' a poppy displayed to do that and you tell us that you have plenty of other 'reminders' and then resorted to analysis of the word 'display'.

Now you say you have no 'need' to see it.
    Which is it, what is the point of the public display of the poppy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

...in fact men fought and died in wars so you are able to voice that opinion but they shouldn't be remembered right:rolleyes:

I have no issue in honouring people who fought and died for freedom, I do have an issue honouring those who fought and died to rape, rob, murder, pillage and enslave whole nations.

I merely asked you why do you 'choose' to wear one. You said it was because seeing it reminded you of your relatives.
    I asked you why you 'needed to see' a poppy displayed to do that and you tell us that you have plenty of other 'reminders' and then resorted to analysis of the word 'display'.

Now you say you have no 'need' to see it.
    Which is it, what is the point of the public display of the poppy?

Do you remember your dead relatives 24/7?

Do you remember your dead relatives 24/7?

What has it got to do with memory difficulties I have. I don't wear or need to publicly display anything to show I am remembering. You said you do need these things to remember, and it is why the poppy is on public display. If you have now changed your mind and you don't need them to remember then what is their purpose?

• Advertisement

What has it got to do with memory difficulties I have. I don't wear or need to publicly display anything to show I am remembering. You said you do need these things to remember, and it is why the poppy is on public display. If you have now changed your mind and you don't need them to remember then what is their purpose?

you keep saying this...please show a post where i said i "nee" to wear one. I think you will find i say i CHOOSE to wear one :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement