Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

bumper234 wrote: »
    you keep saying this...please show a post where i said i "nee" to wear one. I think you will find i say i CHOOSE to wear one :rolleyes:

Lets try it another way. If you didn't have or see a poppy then that wouldn't be a problem for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Lets try it another way. If you didn't have or see a poppy then that wouldn't be a problem for you?

In the same way if i didn't have my watch with me, i would notice it missing, it wouldn't bother me but i would notice it missing.

i would notice it missing.

Why?

I would miss my watch too because I need it to know the time.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Why?

I would miss my watch too because I need it to know the time.

I have my phone for that.

I have my phone for that.

Very good.

Maybe come back on thread when you have some more self awareness, your palpable fears are surfacing again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Just saw 'poppy angels' (children all dressed in white wearing poppies) singing some armed forces tribute song the UK's state broadcaster's One Show.

It was all a bit creepy.

Just saw 'poppy angels' (children all dressed in white wearing poppies) singing some armed forces tribute song the UK's state broadcaster's One Show.

It was all a bit creepy.

Are you some sort of masochist? You hate Britain and all it stands for you hate the BBC and all it stands for but choose to watch British people on the state run TV channels :rolleyes:

Are you some sort of masochist? You hate Britain and all it stands for you hate the BBC and all it stands for but choose to watch British people on the state run TV channels :rolleyes:

Do you have difficulty with your reading comprehension?

Where did I say I hate Britain and all it stands for?

You've got your union flag knickers in a twist again.

Do you have difficulty with your reading comprehension?

Where did I say I hate Britain and all it stands for?

You've got your union flag knickers in a twist again.

I have decided to take a leaf from the shinnerbot book and "read between the lines" this basically means I will take your words, twist them to fit my agenda and then throw it back at you. So why where you watching the one show (a quintessentially British program)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

It was all a bit creepy.

My daughter spent the evening singing "soldiers are we" and stuff about manning the gap of danger mid Canon's roar and rifle peal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jorah

Zebra3 wrote: »
    So you support war criminals who occupy other peoples' lands, massacre them, maim them, kill their kids, and yet someone giving you a bit of stick for doing so is an idiot? :rolleyes:

Typical uneducated opinion.
    Zebra3 wrote: »
    Why not fundraise for those maimed by the British forces?

Nobody is stopping you. I bet you're one of those people who claim to be morally outraged by the actions of the US/UK forces but have never done a thing in your life to support people living in those countries. You don't care, stop pretending you do.

I have decided to take a leaf from the shinnerbot book and "read between the lines" this basically means I will take your words, twist them to fit my agenda and then throw it back at you.

I have no idea what you're trying to say here.
    So why where you watching the one show (a quintessentially British program)?

I was watching the BBC NI news and it was on after when I came back to the TV.

Btw I think the BBC is a great broadcasting service if you can park the military jingoism. Some of my favourite broadcasters, actors and comedians work in British TV/entertainment.

Dara Ó Briain
    Graham Norton
    Ed Byrne
    Dylan Moran
    Liz Bonham
    David O'Doherty
    Ardal O'Hanlon
    Graham Linenhan
    Arthur Mathews
    Chris O'Dowd

;)
    What about...

What do you have to say about the goonery that surrounds the poppy appeal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Jorah wrote: »
    I bet you're one of those people who claim to be morally outraged by the actions of the US/UK forces but have never done a thing in your life to support people living in those countries. You don't care, stop pretending you do.

Please explain how invading Iraq and creating a vicous sectarian war has helped them?

What do you have to say about the goonery that surrounds the poppy appeal?

Have you not read the whole thread? The poppy fascists are diluting what the poppy means, I've said that before.

But jingoism you allude to isn't unique to the UK, do you not find ten year old girls sing soldiers are we a bit creepy?

Out of curiosity, how would you feel if the Irish soldiers in Syria had been injured in the attack today?

But jingoism you allude to isn't unique to the UK

So what?
    do you not find ten year old girls sing soldiers are we a bit creepy?

'But, but, them'uns are as bad'. This thread is about the poppy. If you want to start a thread about the Irish anthem go right ahead and I'll comment there.
    Out of curiosity, how would you feel if the Irish soldiers in Syria had been injured in the attack today?

They and their families would have my sympathy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

Have you not read the whole thread? The poppy fascists are diluting what the poppy means, I've said that before.

But jingoism you allude to isn't unique to the UK, do you not find ten year old girls sing soldiers are we a bit creepy?

I do; but the British national anthem has verses about bashing the Scots when Scotland is a part of the UK. That is a bit more creepy. Personally I would have "Jerusalem" as the national anthem if I was British.

I do; but the British national anthem has verses about bashing the Scots when Scotland is a part of the UK.

It doesn't, that's a myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Great to see this topic never dies.

I have no problem wearing a poppy. Went to visit Flanders fields last year, we've come a long way.

It doesn't, that's a myth.

Well originally it did.

So what?

'But, but, them'uns are as bad'. This thread is about the poppy. If you want to start a thread about the Irish anthem go right ahead and I'll comment there.

Isn't there a phrase in the bible about criticising the spec in your neighbours eye when you can't see the tree in your own?
    They and their families would have my sympathy.

Which is exactly how lots of people feel about British soldiers currently serving on UN missions, except that a lot are actually being killed and injured. Therefore a lot are proud to show their support by wearing a poppy.

• Advertisement

Isn't there a phrase in the bible about criticising the spec in your neighbours eye when you can't see the tree in your own?

I think that the tree is in your eye and the spec of sawdust is in mine. There's simply no comparison between British media military jingoism and Irish (if anything Irish Nationalism is stigmatised here). Poppy month and all the X-factor poppy goonery that surrounds it is testament to that.
    Which is exactly how lots of people feel about British soldiers currently serving on UN missions, except that a lot are actually being killed and injured. Therefore a lot are proud to show their support by wearing a poppy.

I don't have an issue with British people remembering their war dead. That said, if I was British I'd have a serious problem with 'my' government sending troops abroad to be blown to bits for obtuse reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭cailinardthair

I have no problem with someone wearing the poppy, I understand the meaning and the significance of it to the British.

I hope I don't offend but I do have a problem with all the TV presenters wearing them weeks before remembrance week. It seems to get early every year. My dad is Scottish and he shares the same view as me. To him its losing the value it represents and its becoming more a of a fashion statement, who wears it first kind of thing.

Now the only reason I could find for them wearing it early is that the British army needs more money due to the troops abroad.

Now I don't know if this is true but I did hear a story of a top British station would not interview someone (I think the person was German so I could understand why they wouldn't) because they refused to wear it. I don't think people should be forced to wear it, People have good reason not too.

Well originally it did.

The verse was sung during the jacobite rebellion for about three months, but was never part of the national anthem.

The verse was sung during the jacobite rebellion for about three months, but was never part of the national anthem.

Are you sure?

Im not but I will look into it.

If you are going to be a British though I think you should be a Jacobite but that is probably for another thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade
    May, by thy mighty aid,
    Victory bring.
    May he sedition hush
    And, like a torrent, rush
    Rebellious Scots to crush.
    God save the King.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Wade

I trust it will be reinstated, along with Hadrian's Wall, if the disloyal beggars vote for independence. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

What are Irish soldiers doing in Syria?

tdv123 wrote: »
    What are Irish soldiers doing in Syria?

They are on a UN mission, do you not read the papers?

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade
    May, by thy mighty aid,
    Victory bring.
    May he sedition hush
    And, like a torrent, rush
    Rebellious Scots to crush.
    God save the King.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Wade

I trust it will be reinstated, along with Hadrian's Wall, if the disloyal beggars vote for independence. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

What can I say, the Scottish are great at singing and so are the Irish...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

They are on a UN mission, do you not read the papers?

What's their mission statement? Yes I read papers. Do you use Head Shoulders shampoo?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement