Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Captain Farrell

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I love this kind of post too ^^^ It's almost as if...as if the British and Unionists have no past at all.

Oh we do, we just don't piss and moan all the time about the Romans, Vikings, French who invaded Britain. We. Move. On.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Oh we do, we just don't piss and moan all the time about the Romans, Vikings, French who invaded Britain. We. Move. On.
    Imagine the Germans whinged and moaned about losing Prussia every day of the week. Come to think of it, population expulsions could have been an option back at the inception of Northern Ireland. It sounds horrid now but was certainly not unusual for the time and would have prevented a lot of troubles further down the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

:D:D now that is funny. What is the poppy about again???

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    You're only seeing what you want to see. The reality is Ireland has never been further from amalgamation.

I take it you are not liking the increasing sense of commonality and community? It's inevitable that joint ventures, expansion into each territory etc will happen ahead of unification, that is natural order at work. It won't just be a sudden awakening to the idea, but rather, a gradual drawing together (of which this is a small part).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Might the above^ also apply to this islands ever more friendly relationship with Britain and the possibility of us (as a whole island nation) being subsumed back into the United Kingdom, as an independent devolved state of 32 counties?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

...yet yez still shite on about Agincourt like yez won the 100 years war and it ended last week.

:D:D now that is funny. What is the poppy about again???

Remembering the dead for most of us. Certainly not about bitching over the french, romans etc that invaded us. None of the poppy campaign mentions foreign nations, you see, we can manage that. We're raising funds for our ex -soldiers, not bitterly sniping about the past from hundreds of years ago. We're not like a bitter step-child, the way Ireland is.

Nodin wrote: »
    ...yet yez still shite on about Agincourt like yez won the 100 years war and it ended last week.

You're unbelievable. Have you ever been to England? I have never ever ever heard one single Englishman mention Agincourt outside of a history lesson.

We learn from our past and move on to our future. Bitter people like yourselves fail to do that, and blame Britain for the fact that you live in a failed State populated by a huge amount of people who fail to take responsibility for their own actions as a result.

...and if you look at some of our fellow brethren who aspire to be British and 1690, it's obviously catching. :)
    Captain Farrell has made my day! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

You're thinking of the world cup.

• Advertisement

You're unbelievable. Have you ever been to England? I have never ever ever heard one single Englishman mention Agincourt outside of a history lesson.

Ye'd want to tell that to the BBC and authors of popular historys. And the people who watch and read same.

LordSutch wrote: »
    Might the above^ also apply to this islands ever more friendly relationship with Britain and the possibility of us (as a whole island nation) being subsumed back into the United Kingdom, as an independent devolved state of 32 counties?

Nope, far as I can see, we were always friendly with Britain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

True, but we haven't always been friendly with their administrations.

You're thinking of the world cup.

...you know, I'd entirely forgotten about that particular fixation. Shows ye how much footy coverage I watch.

Remembering the dead for most of us. Certainly not about bitching over the french, romans etc that invaded us. None of the poppy campaign mentions foreign nations, you see, we can manage that. We're raising funds for our ex -soldiers, not bitterly sniping about the past from hundreds of years ago. We're not like a bitter step-child, the way Ireland is.

The actions of the British on this island are rather more recent and fresh, if you don't mind me saying.

I still haven't gotten an answer to my question earlier about this poppy and remembrance. Why the need to display the fact that you are 'remembering' and attempt to make others display it?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,468 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Talking of BBC NI & Ulster Television, It i'll certainly be interesting this time next year when UTV (Ireland) start to broadcast in the Republic, with the prospect of seeing an Irish man wearing a Poppy live on Irish TV, for the 1st time ever?

Believe me, if they happen to give Julian Simmons or Frank Mitchell any airtime on the new station, poppies will be the least of your worries.:P

True, but we haven't always been friendly with their administrations.

There are more than the Irish that have problems with British administration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Shows ye how much footy coverage I watch.

Football just hasn't been the same since Italia 90!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Jesus wept, i hope there is a united ireland ASAP just so that i don't have to hear any more whingeing irishmen bleating about their 800 years rubbish and 6 counties that none of us british people want anything to do with anyway.

The only person who has whinged about 800 years on this thread is you.. twice.

Football just hasn't been the same since Italia 90!

"Ah sher we were a mighty team, and it was a grand world cup, the whole nation was proud of our boys in green, even though they failed to win a single match other than a jammy win on penalties and only scored two goals in the tournament."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I won't wear one myself due to personal choice, however I do believe that people have the right to wear one due to their own personal choice. Similarly I believe that people (particularly those in the public eye) have the right to not wear one due to their own personal choice and not to be criticized for this choice.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Believe me, if they happen to give Julian Simmons or Frank Mitchell any airtime on the new station, poppies will be the least of your worries.:P

I've seen the Simmons fecker, who is occasionally funny. Whats the malfunction with the Mitchell fellah?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

"Ah sher we were a mighty team, and it was a grand world cup, the whole nation was proud of our boys in green, even though they failed to win a single match other than a jammy win on penalties and only scored two goals in the tournament."

We must be the only team in history to reach the last 8 without actually winning a match. :D

Games that go to penalties are recorded as draws by FIFA.

Games that go to penalties are recorded as draws by FIFA.

Don't mention de penalties for gawd sake!

NIMAN wrote: »
    Ah, I frickin love our wee Julian!! :D

I take it you are not liking the increasing sense of commonality and community? It's inevitable that joint ventures, expansion into each territory etc will happen ahead of unification, that is natural order at work. It won't just be a sudden awakening to the idea, but rather, a gradual drawing together (of which this is a small part).
    I'm loving the greater sense of commonality and community. Historically Irish republicanism has thrived under inequality and oppression radicalising disenfranchised Catholics. Commonality, community will only serve to integrate Catholics and cement the Union.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

the possibility of us (as a whole island nation) being subsumed back into the United Kingdom

Lol.

A new confederation of the United Kingdom might not be a bad idea, but this time do it properly, make the four countries equal in all respects.

Now, now. You know you're only upsetting yourself.

• Advertisement

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    I'm loving the greater sense of commonality and community. Historically Irish republicanism has thrived under inequality and oppression radicalising disenfranchised Catholics. Commonality, community will only serve to integrate Catholics and cement the Union.

The problem is the 'Union' is sundering from within though, anyone can see that.
    But you go ahead and willingly misread posts when you know what I meant (like you willingly misread the O gerry's one on the other thread) if it helps stave off the inevitable realisation that the walls are breaking down and there is a fast growing increase in community and commonality between NI and ROI. (which is, as you know, what I meant in the original post)
    Irish republicanism is doing very nicely btw but it is always nice to see Unionists admit that oppression and inequality existed. That helps the process too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement