Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 lordRothery

I've worn them since nineteen hundred and seventy nine ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

lordRothery?...I wonder...one of our Boards Disappeared? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    A new confederation of the United Kingdom might not be a bad idea, but this time do it properly, make the four countries equal in all respects.

no thanks, were fine as we are, just give us back our 6 counties and all will be forgiven.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

no thanks, were fine as we our, just give us back our 6 counties and all will be forgiven.
    ...but not forgotten

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Happyman42 wrote: »
    The problem is the 'Union' is sundering from within though, anyone can see that.
    But you go ahead and willingly misread posts when you know what I meant (like you willingly misread the O gerry's one on the other thread) if it helps stave off the inevitable realisation that the walls are breaking down and there is a fast growing increase in community and commonality between NI and ROI. (which is, as you know, what I meant in the original post)
    Irish republicanism is doing very nicely btw but it is always nice to see Unionists admit that oppression and inequality existed. That helps the process too.

The Union is far from sundering, next year the referendum on Scottish independence will be defeated and the Union will receive a major democratic mandate.
    no thanks, were fine as we our, just give us back our 6 counties and all will be forgiven.
    They're not ours. They belong to the people or Northern Ireland and only they will decide their fate.

• Advertisement

The Union is far from sundering, next year the referendum on Scottish independence will be defeated and the Union will receive a major democratic mandate.

You wouldn't be the first Unionist to read the signals wrong.
    Watching what hardheaded and pragmatic businesses do is a useful indicator of the future.
    I have recently switched one of my suppliers to a NI one after being courted strongly by them. They also (like UTV) see the writing on the wall and the potential. One united island, one administration and no border is the way of the future.

You wouldn't be the first Unionist to read the signals wrong.
    Watching what hardheaded and pragmatic businesses do is a useful indicator of the future.
    I have recently switched one of my suppliers to a NI one after being courted strongly by them. They also (like UTV) see the writing on the wall and the potential. One united island, one administration and no border is the way of the future.
    ITV is only doing what businesses do, expanding into another money country to exploit a gap in the market and make money. It's not a sign of impending amalgamation or any such nonsense. Frankly I'm surprised it has taken them this long tbh the majority of us have free access to UTV anyway.

ITV is only doing what businesses do, expanding into another money country to exploit a gap in the market and make money. It's not a sign of impending amalgamation or any such nonsense. Frankly I'm surprised it has taken them this long tbh the majority of us have free access to UTV anyway.

There is always a reason why things happen at certain times, you just have to look.

There is always a reason why things happen at certain times, you just have to look.
    hah you've already decided what's happening so you're looking for evidence to support that while ignoring contrary evidence. After the Scottish independence referendum is defeated the Union will receive a massive boost. Further to that the world is constantly moving towards greater integration. I'm afraid you're on the wrong side of history.

hah you've already decided what's happening so you're looking for evidence to support that
    As opposed to what you are doing? Have you gotten your hands on the Great Book Of The Future? What exactly has Unionism predicted correctly in the past 50 years?
    You saying 'Never Never Never' fills me full of hope! :D
    ignoring contrary evidence. After the Scottish independence referendum is defeated the Union will receive a massive boost. Further to that the world is constantly moving towards greater integration. I'm afraid you're on the wrong side of history.

You just haven't realised who you will be integrating with.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

I really, really doubt that.

I think there is a lot of evidence that the UK has failed Scotland, Wales, even the north of England and most definitely Northern Ireland.

Still there are two massive problems with the SNP- they dont want to withdraw from the EU (either do Sinn Fein Im sad to say) and they want to keep the Windsor Monarchy as the Monarchy of Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I think there is a lot of evidence that the UK has failed Scotland, Wales, even the north of England and most definitely Northern Ireland.

Still there are two massive problems with the SNP- they dont want to withdraw from the EU (either do Sinn Fein Im sad to say) and they want to keep the Windsor Monarchy as the Monarchy of Scotland.

It was discussed on RTE Drivetime this evening with a Scottish journalist. He was of the opinion that unless something drastic happens in the next year the referendum will be defeated easily.

The polls are all over the place though, for instance the 'Scotsman' newspaper poll from September put the Yes vote at 25%, this rose to 35% in early October and then fell again in their most recent polling.

I think it will be defeated but might be closer than expected. It should make for interesting debate once the YES and NO campaigns begin in earnest next summer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dublinbhoy88

and they want to keep sterling as their currency as far as I know,doesnt seem like independence to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

It was discussed on RTE Drivetime this evening with a Scottish journalist. He was of the opinion that unless something drastic happens in the next year the referendum will be defeated easily.

The polls are all over the place though, for instance the 'Scotsman' newspaper poll from September put the Yes vote at 25%, this rose to 35% in early October and then fell again in their most recent polling.

I think it will be defeated but might be closer than expected. It should make for interesting debate once the YES and NO campaigns begin in earnest next summer.

It will be close, though, expect it will be defeated.:)

and they want to keep sterling as their currency as far as I know,doesnt seem like independence to me

Yeah the SNP are kind of crap; I have much more time for Plaid Cymru who would be the closest party to my politics in these Isles. That said they want to "reform" the EU and not withdraw from it.

It will be close, though, expect it will be defeated.:)

I really dont know- I think when people get into the polling booths they will have a realization that Scotland will never have this chance again and vote for semi-Independence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I guess semi-Independance equals 'Devo-Max'.

Maximum devolution, but still within the UK.

There was an attempt to make a Plaid Cymru Party in Northern Ireland but it fell apart when their leader who had split from the SDLP over their lack of radicalism was murdered by a Loyalist death squad. He should though be remembered more than he is-a truelly great Ulster man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Turnley

There was an attempt to make a Plaid Cymru Party in Northern Ireland but it fell apart when their leader who had split from the SDLP over their lack of radicalism was murdered by a Loyalist death squad. He should though be remembered more than he is-a truelly great Ulster man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Turnley

I remember that. Hadn't realised that his killer had killed a Catholic as well and is now in the UUP. Funny old world.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sunday-life/booze-sorry-now-28599065.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭whats the point

The poppy in all it's glory and what you represent by wearing it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Not sure that your Youtube video has anything to do with the wearing of the poppy 'as a symbol' of commemoration for those killed in War.
    Your video is to do with opiates and the misuse of drugs, from Cocain to Heroin, to crack cocain. The poppy when worn as a symbol, is to remember those hundreds of thousands who died on the Poppy fields of the Great War 1914-1918 and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭OldRio

LordSutch wrote: »
    Not sure that your Youtube video has anything to do with the wearing of the poppy 'as a symbol' of commemoration for those killed in War.
    Your video is to do with opiates and the misuse of drugs, from Cocain to Heroin, to crack cocain. The poppy when worn as a symbol, is to remember those hundreds of thousands who died on the Poppy fields of the Great War 1914-1918 and beyond.

For beyond read here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

You get a great buzz from taking a load of opiates, you also get a great buzz of wearing the poppy.

Think the video is pretty self-explanatory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

tdv123 wrote: »
    You get a great buzz from taking a load of opiates, you also get a great buzz of wearing the poppy.

Think the video is pretty self-explanatory.

And you seem to get a buzz from making innocuous posts. ....a win win win situation so it would seem :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

This is a ludicrous assertion. The very fact that a referendum is being held at all is a blow to the union.
    Even if the referendum is defeated more easily that expected, say only 30-35% vote for independence, that's still a third of the population unhappy with it, so unhappy that they actively wanted to leave. How on earth does that strengthen the union?

I also note that the usual unionist/partitionist posters, in addition to know what the Irish people want without asking them, also know what the scottish people want. I'll have to get my hands on that crystal ball you all have.

I really dont know- I think when people get into the polling booths they will have a realization that Scotland will never have this chance again and vote for semi-Independence.
    I guess semi-Independance equals 'Devo-Max'.

Maximum devolution, but still within the UK.

It's not on the ballot. Is it not a simple yes/no question?

I remember that. Hadn't realised that his killer had killed a Catholic as well and is now in the UUP. Funny old world.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sunday-life/booze-sorry-now-28599065.html

"A double killer turned unionist election candidate who was was sacked from his job as an alcohol abuse adviser for allegedly “drinking on the job” has lost an unfair dismissal case."

:eek:

It's not on the ballot. Is it not a simple yes/no question?

If they remain in the EU and keep the Windsor Monarchy than it will be most definitely semi-independence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

I'll have to get my hands on that crystal ball you all have.

Sir,

I'll thank you to keep your hands off my crystal balls.

• Advertisement

Wasnt this odious little fallacy nailed some 2000 posts ago?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement