Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

No. I wouldn't buy an Easter lilly and I certainly won't be wearing a poppy at any time in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

The_Gatsby wrote: »
    To stop the IRA killing innocent people?

They did a great job of that alright by killing people taking part in a civil rights march.

Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Twas a fast year, and no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

Do we really want to do this lads?

I'm just trying to make the point that the money raised from the sale of poppies is for the soldiers who have been injured, regardless of the politics of the conflicts they were involved in.

It just annoys me when people are opposed to buying them because the money raised supports soldiers of a nation who's politics they might not agree with. That's hardly the injured soldiers fault.

bumper234 wrote: »
    Please point me to a link where a soldier went to the North (or any other combat zone) by "choice"

Well usually what happens is you join the army by choice, knowing full well you will be sent to war zones.

Sometimes I have to remember this is after hours, with the drivel that is been spoken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

PLUG71 wrote: »
    So no Irish people have ever been brutal Bollicks! Its the same the world over, whatever nationality. People kill people and it will never change!

You'll note the IRA/PIRA do not exist any more, we're a neutralish country, and the IDF aren't militarily adventurous.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Captain Farrell

They did a great job of that alright by killing people taking part in a civil rights march.

Please.

A bit like the job the IRA did in Enniskillen, or Warrrington, targeting innocent civilians, even children in premeditated murders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I most definitely would, and I fail to see the similarities between a British soldier keeping a human rights march quite with the use of oppression, over a civilian fighting the oppressor in his or her country.

Freeing themselves from oppression by deliberately slaughtering innocent people?

A bit like the job the IRA did in Enniskillen, or Warrrington, targeting innocent civilians, even children in premeditated murders.

Ah there we are back to the what about the others.

This thread is about poppys which is to do with the British army.

Freeing themselves from oppression by deliberately slaughtering innocent people?

As opposed to oppressing people by deliberately slaughtering innocent people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Twas a fast year, and no.

I do love autumn though, the golden leaves falling, the crisp air,the whatabouts buzzing around everywhere

Ah there we are back to the what about the others.

This thread is about poppys which is to do with the British army.

It's not what about the others, it's about the poster.

If you wear a Lilly, then fine, that's your choice and you won't fond me lecturing you about it.

But, if you wear a Lilly and slate people who wear a poppy, you are a hypocrite.

The_Gatsby wrote: »
    It just annoys me when people are opposed to buying them because the money raised supports soldiers of a nation who's politics they might not agree with

It's not the politics but the history of the British Army in Ireland. I'm not against poppy day week month but I'll be damned if I'm told 'get over it' or 'let bygones be bygones' by 'hush now Paddy don't upset the Queen' Irish stooges.

Which millions of us will be wearing and not giving even the slightest of craps as to what the minority of people in a country with a population half the size of London, and with little global importance, will be thinking of it.

Well that's great for you, and what a high opinion you hold of this country and Irish people in general.

But isn't the point of this thread to debate etc, so if you don't care for other people's opinion why are you even posting here?

Is it to get in people's faces and show how great you feel by wearing one and not caring what they think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

No Easter lily or red poppy for me, thanks. I quite like the idea of the white poppy, although I've heard that wearing it gets a hostile reception from some in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

Which millions of us will be wearing and not giving even the slightest of craps as to what the minority of people in a country with a population half the size of London, and with little global importance, will be thinking of it.
    Thank god most of the UK don't think like you!

It's not what about the others, it's about the poster.

If you wear a Lilly, then fine, that's your choice and you won't fond me lecturing you about it.

But, if you wear a Lilly and slate people who wear a poppy, you are a hypocrite.

You won't lecture someone who wears a lily, but you're on boards everyday slating the pira and anyone who might have agreed with them or anyone who fought for Irish freedom in the past, right.

You won't lecture someone who wears a lily, but you're on boards everyday slating the pira and anyone who might have agreed with them or anyone who fought for Irish freedom in the past, right.

Oooh, stereotype much do you?

You should start reading what I write, instead of what you think I write.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

To each his own, lads. It doesn't matter who wears a poppy and who doesn't. As long as no one is wearing one against their will, I think the country is going to make it through this year.

The empire is long gone Capt'n.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Well usually what happens is you join the army by choice, knowing full well you will be sent to war zones.

Sometimes I have to remember this is after hours, with the drivel that is been spoken.

Do you think EVERY British soldier that served was sent to NI? Believe me the LAST place any British soldier wanted to go was NI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I won't be wearing but not because of a long history or anything. I have no qualms with any Irish person wearing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

Its the governments that any blame should be aimed at!

Soldiers do what they are told in most cases!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Nodin wrote: »
    Petty? Refusing to sponsor the veterans of Imperialism is not petty, its a matter of principle.

It's goes to a bunch of underpaid OAPs, most of whom haven't seen service in the 6 counties/NI. I'm no fan of the military but individuals? I've shook hands with squaddies, Sinn Fein members, unionists and fund raisers for the hunger strikes - I wouldn't be as silly as to label them all the same.

Anyways, no poppy or lilly for me. I'll wear my bleeding liberal heart on my sleeve as always. Ye gods, those dry cleaning bills... :D

It's not the politics but the history of the British Army in Ireland. I'm not against poppy day week month but I'll be damned if I'm told 'get over it' or 'let bygones be bygones' by 'hush now Paddy don't upset the Queen' Irish stooges.

Oh crumbs, I was rather hoping this wouldn't turn into an "I'm more Irish than you are" uberfest :(

I don't think anyone is saying to forget past atrocities (carried out by soldiers/paramilitaries of either hue) but if we can't try to forgive - we will never progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

That's more like the good oul John Bull attitude

then they wonder why they have so many squaddies missing legs :confused:

Bambi wrote: »
    That's more like the good oul John Bull attitude

then they wonder why they have so many squaddies missing legs :confused:

You really are a nasty piece of work, aren't you? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Thank God your taxes don't pay for these murdering bastards.

For every soldier who committed an atrocity, there are 1,000 who served with honour and dedication.

But Fred, how can you serve with honour performing a dishonourable task.....Imperialism was wrong. You may feel obliged to look after the cogs in its machinery, but I sure as jaysus don't.
    But, if you wear a Lilly and slate people who wear a poppy, you are a
    hypocrite.

I am reasonably sure that no incarnation of the IRA fought to build white dominated colonies in countries with nice climates, and that 1916 rising was not over the right to sell opium to the Chinese.
    LordSutch wrote:
    Yes of course we do, specially (but not exclusively) us Prods........

....but not all Protestants were one either, I might add.

old hippy wrote: »
    Oh crumbs, I was rather hoping this wouldn't turn into an "I'm more Irish than you are" uberfest :(

Well Irish neo-Unionism, as bizarre and rare as it is, only has itself to blame for any questioning of its integrity as regards having this country's interests at heart.
    I don't think anyone is saying to forget past atrocities (carried out by soldiers/paramilitaries of either hue) but if we can't try to forgive - we will never progress.

Biblical language Old Hippy? Forgive? You know it took 40 years, an intervening 30 year conflict, and a £200m inquiry to have the 'legitimately killed terrorists' claim lifted from those murdered by the 'peace keeping' British Army in Derry in 1972?

How can you forgive those who, largely, don't believe they've any case to answer?

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    But Fred, how can you serve with honour performing a dishonourable task.....Imperialism was wrong. You may feel obliged to look after the cogs in its machinery, but I sure as jaysus don't.

I am reasonably sure that no incarnation of the IRA fought to build white dominated colonies in countries with nice climates, and that 1916 rising was not over the right to sell opium to the Chinese.

....but not all Protestants were one either, I might add.

Well done Nodin, you managed to get the opium wars in this time (or is that just you proving you're not a bot). Pretty sure the €2 I paid for my poppy won't be going to anyone who fought in that war, or anyone who fought to create white imperialist colonies for that matter.

How is Sean Russell's statue these days? All that anti Nazi vandalism must be costing the national graves association a pretty penny.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement