Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Happyman42 wrote: »
    How would you know that people on the telly or walking down the street support Ammesty?

Erm i just walked past Trinity college and the Amnesty chuggers are there :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Captain Farrell

Whats the bets though that they were Sikh and not Muslim?

They were muslim. Sikhs wear turbans and are Indian, they have very different features to Pakistanis and Bangladeshis. After living with asian neighbours for most of my life, I am well able to tell the difference, something of course that most irish would not be able to do as the country isn't as multi-cultural for some reason....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

bumper234 wrote: »
    Erm i just walked past Trinity college and the Amnesty chuggers are there :confused:

They are the fund raisers, the question I asked is; how would you know somebody supported Ammesty by looking at them?

Madam wrote: »

Oh no, not another Irish guy with self hatred in his heart;)

I assume your Irish or of heritage to on here?

Is this an irish board, for irish people then? A little "league of gentlemen" in your outlook aren't you? Not like the irish to be insular at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

They were muslim. Sikhs wear turbans and are Indian, they have very different features to Pakistanis and Bangladeshis. After living with asian neighbours for most of my life, I am well able to tell the difference, something of course that most irish would not be able to do as the country isn't as multi-cultural for some reason....

Your some guy - you can tell the difference between Pakistanis and Bangladeshis? You do know they come from the same ethnic grouping? Could you tell the difference between a Northern Irish person and a Scot I wonder? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Is this an irish board, for irish people then? A little "league of gentlemen" in your outlook aren't you? Not like the irish to be insular at all...

****s off to the PROC, I knows when I is not wanted

Your some guy - you can tell the difference between Pakistanis and Bangladeshis? You do know they come from the same ethnic grouping? Could you tell the difference between a Northern Irish person and a Scot I wonder? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE

You are aware that ther are over 1 billion people on the indian subcontinent, in an area larger than Europe? It's like asking if you can tell a German from an itialian. of course you can. they have different facial features and skin tones in general. Again, your lack of experience with a multicultural society lets you down.

As it is, I can tell whether someone os from the northern half of great britain or the southern half quite easily too. The bone structure of the face is different, body shape is often different. It's not rocket science when you live in a country with more than 4m people people...

Oh no, not another Irish guy with self hatred in his heart;)

I assume your Irish or of heritage to on here?

Is it a prerequisite to be Irish to post here? Do you wish to see my papers? :rolleyes:

Well, you are like others being a bit disingenuous considering the Royal British Legion and government ministers are having to urge mosques to preach 'Wear the Poppy, Don't Burn It!'
    Bad and all as we are in Ireland, nobody has had to ask us to do that yet.

They are the fund raisers, the question I asked is; how would you know somebody supported Ammesty by looking at them?

Erm...the little Amnesty international badges they give out to donors kinda says a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,117 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Article about what the poppy has become to stand for from a soilder in World War 2

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/08/poppy-last-time-remembrance-harry-leslie-smith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Well, you are like others being a bit disingenuous considering the Royal British Legion and government ministers are having to urge mosques to preach 'Wear the Poppy, Don't Burn It!'
    Bad and all as we are in Ireland, nobody has had to ask us to do that yet.

getting Irish fans of a British football team to show a bit of respect during a minutes silence this Weekend it would be nice.

Article about what the poppy has become to stand for from a soilder in World War 2

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/08/poppy-last-time-remembrance-harry-leslie-smith

Says it all really
    The most fortunate in our society have turned the solemnity of remembrance for fallen soldiers in ancient wars into a justification for our most recent armed conflicts.

The place where bumper234, FrattonFred have a palpable fear of going, and we have an old soldier brave enough to say it out loud. Fair play to him.

Erm...the little Amnesty international badges they give out to donors kinda says a lot.

How many of them have you seen on the BBC?

Can any of you explain the rise in it's prominence any other way?

I didn't say most of England was racist, I said; they would not like to be seen as such and it is difficult to express a problem (which is a growing one) with immigration and the erosion of traditional values without being called one. and it is the fear of even being called one that is promoting the popularity of the poppy currently, for the reasons I stated.

Going by just one sport football, uptil very recently you never ever had big displays of remeberance in football and putting poppys onto football shirts never happened until a few years ago.

Says it all really

The place where bumper234, FrattonFred have a palpable fear of going, and we have an old soldier brave enough to say it out loud. Fair play to him.

We've all been there many times.

I'm not happy with the poppy fascism, which is why my poppy is in a drawer until Sunday.

I will be wearing one next year as well.

Incidentally, I remember the NF wheeling out several old soldiers claiming that "they didn't fight in the war for all these immigrants to come over here"

Were they right as well, because they were there?

Going by just one sport football, uptil very recently you never ever had big displays of remeberance in football and putting poppys onto football shirts never happened until a few years ago.

Because remembrance day was becoming a forgotten event. There was a concerted effort to make people recognise the events of the two world wars.

I'm not happy with the poppy fascism, which is why my poppy is in a drawer until Sunday.

Thank you.

Your some guy - you can tell the difference between Pakistanis and Bangladeshis? You do know they come from the same ethnic grouping? Could you tell the difference between a Northern Irish person and a Scot I wonder? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE

You are aware that ther are over 1 billion people on the indian subcontinent, in an area larger than Europe? It's like asking if you can tell a German from an itialian. of course you can. they have different facial features and skin tones in general. Again, your lack of experience with a multicultural society lets you down.

As it is, I can tell whether someone os from the northern half of great britain or the southern half quite easily too. The bone structure of the face is different, body shape is often different. It's not rocket science when you live in a country with more than 4m people people...

Feking rubbish and you wonder why folk think the English are racist?

You'll be telling me next you can tell the difference between a person form Cornwall and Devon:(

By that last account you haven't taken into consideration a person of mixed heritage(by that I don't mean the colour of their skin), I mean Scots/Irish or even mixed Irish/English heritage.

Because remembrance day was becoming a forgotten event. There was a concerted effort to make people recognise the events of the two world wars.

Going a bit extreme with 2 weekends of it.

I see it as a way of rising support for the military via football with lots of TV coveage now around the world of the Premier League it is the perfect platform

If it was support for the 2 Wars then fair enough but it is not and goes further, next year will be intresting as it will be 100 years from the 1st World War

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

If your so in tune with living in a multi-cultrual society why do you feel the need to come onto an Irish website and make sweeping generalisations about all Irish people?

Gee Bag wrote: »
    If your so in tune with living in a multi-cultrual society why do you feel the need to come onto an Irish website and make sweeping generalisations about all Irish people?

He also assumes I'm Irish:)

I am but I've spent most of my life in the UK(England and Scotland):)

Feking rubbish and you wonder why folk think the English are racist?

You'll be telling me next you can tell the difference between a person form Cornwall and Devon:(

By that last account you haven't taken into consideration a person of mixed heritage(by that I don't mean the colour of their skin), I mean Scots/Irish or even mixed Irish/English heritage.

You really do talk nonsense, nothing I said could be percived as racist, for one thing the irish are the same "race" as the english anyway.

And, no, devon and cornwall people look very similar. Of course these lines are being muddles through increased migration of people these days, but historically people in southern england had a much higher %age chance of them having french heritage passed down from their ancestors, as where northerners descended from vikings. Added to this, the fact that the weather is colder in the north led to the evolutionary trait of northern british people being bulkiier than southern counterparts.

A sign of this was that at the old Wembley Stadium, when there were still standing areas, the cpacity was 100,000 for football matches, as the crowd tended, with the matchbeing in London, to have a large amount of southern people at the game. When the Rugby League(a game played in the north of england almost exclusively) final was held at Wembley every year, the capacity was reduced to 98000 to account for the larger frame of Northern English men compared to southern men.

There are huge differences that go back generations. The names are different too. You will find very few people with surnames like Braithwaite, Eckersly or Sidebottom in souther parts, just as you will find very few people called Pardew, Finch or Masters in the north.

Because I have lived there on and off for over a decade and have an irish wife, and two of my three kids are irish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

wazky wrote: »
    Actually, membership for IRA soared after the multiple atrocities that the British Forces carried out, so really it was the continued persecution that drove people to join the IRA.

How many recruits did they get in Derry when the murdered a female census collector and made Patsy Gillespie drive a human bomb to an Army checkpoint? Take off your blinkers you fool

Because I have lived there on and off for over a decade and have an irish wife, and two of my three kids are irish.

So do you tell them they are insular in opinion and infer that one side of their heritage is backwards in outlook?

Or do you just tell them how to spot and classify johnny foreigner using the fascinating new science of phrenology?

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    How many recruits did they get in Derry when the murdered a female census collector and made Patsy Gillespie drive a human bomb to an Army checkpoint? Take off your blinkers you fool

How many did they get on the evening of Jan 30 1972

So do you tell them they are insular in opinion and infer that one side of their heritage is backwards in outlook?

Or do you just tell them how to spot and classify johnny foreigner using the fascinating new science of phrenology?

I get them to embrace both sides of their heritage, british and irish, and to celebrate the best of each, while trying to get them to move away from the negative aspects of each also through their own choices.

And they are used to "foreigners", two of them have german godparents and all of them have one indian uncle and one malaysian aunt, and are also well travelled and educated. The oldest two can often tell the difference between a Polish person and a Romanian, for example, or a spaniard and a brazilian. Same way they can spot an Irish middle aged farmer a mile off compared to one from the east of england.

it will be 100 years from the 1st World War

Jeremy Paxman has had a bit to say on that, no doubt Danny Boyle is working on an extravaganza that features only the benign and benevolent aspects of the British contribution. The Somme with some Spice Girls in a tank. ;)

• Advertisement

You're unbelievable. Have you ever been to England? I have never ever ever heard one single Englishman mention Agincourt outside of a history lesson.

We learn from our past and move on to our future. Bitter people like yourselves fail to do that, and blame Britain for the fact that you live in a failed State populated by a huge amount of people who fail to take responsibility for their own actions as a result.

Quick search brought up this gem!

If you've learnt from the past can you explain why having invaded Afghanistan twice in the past and having twice been hammered that Britain is involved in losing yet another Afghan war?

Same question as to why no one thought that Iraqis might put up fierce resistance to their country being occupied by the British as they did in the 1920's.

Strikes me that someones a bit of a thicko when it comes to learning lessons from history!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement