Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Captain Farrell

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Jeremy Paxman has had a bit to say on that, no doubt Danny Boyle is working on an extravaganza that features only the benign and benevolent aspects of the British contribution. The Somme with some Spice Girls in a tank. ;)

Would that be similar to the way you irish "remember" the good old murderers freedom fighters of the IRA then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Madam wrote: »
    He also assumes I'm Irish:)

I am but I've spent most of my life in the UK(England and Scotland):)

The same way you assumed i am Irish you mean?:rolleyes:

Oh no, not another Irish guy with self hatred in his heart;)

I assume your Irish or of heritage to on here?

Gee Bag wrote: »
    Quick search brought up this gem!

If you've learnt from the past can you explain why having invaded Afghanistan twice in the past and having twice been hammered that Britain is involved in losing yet another Afghan war?

Same question as to why no one thought that Iraqis might put up fierce resistance to their country being occupied by the British as they did in the 1920's.

Strikes me that someones a bit of a thicko when it comes to learning lessons from history!

YES!! Because I was the one who personally sent the British Army to iraq and Afghanistan. How could I forget....

You really live up to your username, don't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

A sign of this was that at the old Wembley Stadium, when there were still standing areas, the cpacity was 100,000 for football matches, as the crowd tended, with the matchbeing in London, to have a large amount of southern people at the game. When the Rugby League(a game played in the north of england almost exclusively) final was held at Wembley every year, the capacity was reduced to 98000 to account for the larger frame of Northern English men compared to southern men.

Maybe this is because a lot of rugby supporters also play rugby and are physically much larger than the average person?

That would be my impression from attending many, many rugby and soccer matches. It also makes more sense than the 'northeners are fat' hypothesis.

YES!! Because I was the one who personally sent the British Army to iraq and Afghanistan. How could I forget....

You really live up to your username, don't you?

The 'we learn from our past' comment would tend to indicate that you approved of these descisions having given them a full and thorough historical analysis.

Not my fault that your posts are idiotic.

• Advertisement

The 'we learn from our past' comment indicated that you approved of this descision.

Not my fault that your posts are idiotic.

No it didn't. Do you have a comprehension problem? The post was referring to the populace of britain not clinging to ancient bitterness the way the irish cling to their hatred of England. As a population we move on. Nobody blames "the irish" for Warrington, or Guildford, Enniskillen etc, we blame the murderous IRA. That's the difference between me and you. I hate those who committed the murders, you hate a whole nation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Would that be similar to the way you irish "remember" the good old murderers freedom fighters of the IRA then?

We don't tend to gloss over the facts to the same extent that Boyle did. We are aware of the suffering, and our official remembrances are usually dignified.

We don't tend to gloss over the facts to the same extent that Boyle did. We are aware of the suffering, and our official remembrances are usually dignified.

What a stupid comment. The opening ceremony was meant to be a celebration of Britain, why would anyone put negative aspects in? Did the americans before Atlanta, did the Aussies before Sydney(oh here's a segment on how we treat the aborigines!) or the Chinese before Beijing(and now a dance to illustrate the way we tortured prisoners!)??? Of course not.

If Ireland were ever in a position to hold a major event do you honestly believe they would devote a segment to putting the country down?

The Olympics weren't a "remembrance" ceremony. They were a celebration.

No it didn't. Do you have a comprehension problem? The post was referring to the populace of britain not clinging to ancient bitterness the way the irish cling to their hatred of England. As a population we move on. Nobody blames "the irish" for Warrington, or Guildford, Enniskillen etc, we blame the murderous IRA. That's the difference between me and you. I hate those who committed the murders, you hate a whole nation.

Thinking your posts are utter nonsense doesn't mean I don't hate a whole nation.

Being Irish, I just don't appreciate British militarism and jingoism being waved in my face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

bumper234 wrote: »
    The same way you assumed i am Irish you mean?:rolleyes:

'Assume' being the operative word;)

Why so cagey about where you come from?

Thinking your posts are utter nonsense doesn't mean I don't hate a whole nation.

Being Irish, I just don't appreciate British militarism and jingoism being waved in my face.

And the fact that I think your posts are ill-informed drivel doesn't mean I hate a nation either.

Being English I just don't appreciate Irish armchair republicans and their hate filled bile towards anything English other than their beloved "Man U", and their belief that we English should somehow have less pride in our country than they do in theirs. When we are patriotic apparently it's "jingoistic" yet when an irish person is patriotic it's ok?

As for militarism, who is it that walks the President on to the field at Croke Park or the Aviva? The Irish military, but I suppose that's different isn't it?

If you don't like the poppy appeal, don't watch british TV, stick to The Late Late and it's standard interview....

"So have you any irish in you?"
    or...
    "So what do you think of Ireland? Aren't we a great little nation? Aren't the people just the best?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

'Assume' being the operative word;)

Why so cagey about where you come from?

I'm not cagey, i have posted several times on these boards that i am British and in fact an ex serving member of her majesties armed forces.

What a stupid comment. The opening ceremony was meant to be a celebration of Britain, why would anyone put negative aspects in? Did the americans before Atlanta, did the Aussies before Sydney(oh here's a segment on how we treat the aborigines!) or the Chinese before Beijing(and now a dance to illustrate the way we tortured prisoners!)??? Of course not.

If Ireland were ever in a position to hold a major event do you honestly believe they would devote a segment to putting the country down?

Sometimes it is better to do nothing at all.

You only have to see how hard it is for some on here to accept that Britain did anything wrong at all in world history to see that it is fed and encouraged by these tatty gaudy jingoistic displays. And this strain of thought or ignorant way of thinking is getting worse, that is why Paxman and others are fearful of what the ww1 celebrations will bring, is it not?

The Olympics weren't a "remembrance" ceremony.

Yes, they managed to 'forget' quite a bit, that was my point! ;)

Yes, they managed to 'forget' quite a bit, that was my point! ;)

And what about the other opening ceremonies?

And the fact that I think your posts are ill-informed drivel doesn't mean I hate a nation either.

Being English I just don't appreciate Irish armchair republicans and their hate filled bile towards anything English other than their beloved "Man U", and their belief that we English should somehow have less pride in our country than they do in their. When we are patriotic apparently it's "jingoistic" yet when an irish person is patriotic it's ok?

If you don't like the poppy appeal, don't watch british TV, stick to The Late Late and it's standard interview....

or...
    "So what do you think of Ireland? Aren't we a great little nation? Aren't the people just the best?"

There you go with those sweeping anti-Irish generalisations again.

Standard etiquette on a website such as this is to respond to what someone has posted not attribute to them an opinion of your own creation

You can of course refer me to exactly where I've shown 'hate filled bile towards anything English'?

I rarely watch British TV, I don't follow premiership football, and I sure as fvck don't watch the Late Late show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Being English I just don't appreciate Irish armchair republicans and their hate filled bile towards anything English other than their beloved "Man U", and their belief that we English should somehow have less pride in our country than they do in theirs. When we are patriotic apparently it's "jingoistic" yet when an irish person is patriotic it's ok?

As for militarism, who is it that walks the President on to the field at Croke Park or the Aviva? The Irish military, but I suppose that's different isn't it?

or...

.....dripping with venom there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

The post was referring to the populace of britain not clinging to ancient bitterness the way the irish cling to their hatred of England. As a population we move on...

"The reason why the English anti-militarism disgusts foreign observers is that it ignores the existence of the British Empire. It looks like sheer hypocrisy. After all, the English have absorbed a quarter of the earth and held on to it by means of a huge navy. How dare they then turn round and say that war is wicked?"

- George Orwell, England Your England, 1941

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Who is waving it in your face?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Are you seriously trying to draw parallels between the Irish Defence Forces and the British army? Of course there's a difference!

And what about the other opening ceremonies?

What about them? Are we in two wrongs make a right territory?

But as you asked, of the ones you mentioned only the Chinese and British Olympics attempted to show the entire history of both nations and a benign contribution to the world....good company?
    The rest celebrated aspects of their cultures.

As I said, sometimes it's better not to say anything at all.

Are you seriously trying to draw parallels between the Irish Defence Forces and the British army? Of course there's a difference!

One is ours?

What is the difference?

HansHolzel wrote: »
    "The reason why the English anti-militarism disgusts foreign observers is that it ignores the existence of the British Empire. It looks like sheer hypocrisy. After all, the English have absorbed a quarter of the earth and held on to it by means of a huge navy. How dare they then turn round and say that war is wicked?"

- George Orwell, England Your England, 1941

Nice recent quote there.here's one for you...
    Why do we like being Irish? Partly because
    It gives us a hold on the sentimental English
    As members of a world that never was,
    Baptized with fairy water;
    Louis MacNeice 1961

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

One is ours?

What is the difference?

Do we have to go through all that again? You should know the countries off by heart at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Yeah, when Ireland host the olympics I look forward to the opening ceremony where they will show representations of the Kingsmills Massacre and de Valera signing the book of condolence on hitler's death. I mean that's what the Olympics is all about isn't it?

I look forward to the Russian input in the winter games opening ceremony. Gulags will obviously be the main theme.

What about them? Are we in two wrongs make a right territory?

But as you asked, of the ones you mentioned only the Chinese and British Olympics attempted to show the entire history of both nations and a benign contribution to the world....good company?
    The rest celebrated aspects of their cultures.

As I said, sometimes it's better not to say anything at all.

Ffs, you really do come out with some **** sometimes.

Is there anything British you don't criticise?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

One is ours?

What is the difference?

Ok....

One is a defence force designed to protect a neutral country. The other goes off to Iraq, Afghanistan etc and causes much misery. I'll leave it up to you to decide which is which.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Ffs, you really do come out with some **** sometimes.

Is there anything British you don't criticise?

Celtic Fc perhaps???

• Advertisement

Or this by Edna O'Brien in 1976
    Irish? In truth I would not want to be anything else. It is a state of mind as well as an actual country. It is being at odds with other nationalities, having quite different philosophy about pleasure, about punishment, about life, and about death. At least it does not leave one pusillanimous.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement