Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Is there anything British you don't criticise?

Is there anything you won't defend (while secretly disliking aspects of it? )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Nodin wrote: »
    Do we have to go through all that again? You should know the countries off by heart at this stage.

So what your saying is that it is ok for the Irish to have a soldier on a sports pitch, but not the British.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

Nice recent quote there.here's one for you...

How about the fighting foetus William Hague making his cretinous joke in the Commons about the Germans turning up uninvited in other people's countries??

That recent enough for you??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Who is waving it in your face?

Captain Farrell.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Is there anything you won't defend (while secretly disliking aspects of it? )

Lots thank you. But ****ing hell, you're going off on one about the Olympics now. You sound like a jealous sibling just mocking anything and everything it can.

• Advertisement

Gee Bag wrote: »
    Captain Farrell.

You've obviously not heard of the ignore button if it offends you that much.

Lots thank you. But ****ing hell, you're going off on one about the Olympics now. You sound like a jealous sibling just mocking anything and everything it can.

Are you trying to say I am the only one who had a problem with it? Really?

It is part of the point I am making about a growth in a jingoistic expression of Britishness that the sudden prominence of the poppy is part of...how was it you put it, 'Poppy Fascism'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

So what your saying is that it is ok for the Irish to have a soldier on a sports pitch, but not the British.

No, I'm saying theres a massive difference between the Irish army and the British.

As regards soldiers on sports pitches, it might be handled better
    http://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2013/sep/29/rangers-military

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Captain Farrell

Captain Farrell.

What have I said that is remotely militaristic or jingoistic? I have said it's ok for british people to remember their war dead.

No, I'm saying theres a massive difference between the Irish army and the British.

As regards soldiers on sports pitches, it might be handled better
    http://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2013/sep/29/rangers-military

Tl:dr version

I'll find any excuse to join in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Tl:dr version

I'll find any excuse to join in.

You're here too Fred.

Oh I'm sure you can find a guardian article that criticises it.

It is part of the point I am making about a growth in a jingoistic expression of Britishness that the sudden prominence of the poppy is part of...how was it you put it, 'Poppy Fascism'

All these reviews of the ceremony, and nobody had a problem other than you...
    Foreign reaction was overwhelmingly positive. The New York Times said the ceremony was "hilariously quirky ... a wild jumble of the celebratory and the fanciful; the conventional and the eccentric; and the frankly off-the-wall.”[10][177] Forbes called it Boyle's "love song to Britain",[14] while Sports Illustrated noted its political aspects, calling it "a celebration of protest and dissent".[178] The Sydney Morning Herald said it was "an unforgettable start ... at once subversive and sublime"[10] and The Times of India said "London presented a vibrant picture of Great Britain's rich heritage and culture."[10][179] The Chinese news agency Xinhua described the ceremony as "dazzling" and an "eccentric and exuberant celebration of British history, art and culture".[180] Chinese artist Ai Weiwei praised the ceremony for its "human touch", saying "In London, they really turned the ceremony into a party ... such a density of information about events and stories and literature and music; about folktales and movies."[170]
    Russian President Putin said the ceremony was “wonderful and unforgettable”.[181] Dmitry Medvedev said "It was an exceptional spectacle, very well prepared and quite rich ... it succeeded in creating a very British atmosphere ... they managed to find the right language ... to communicate."[182] Panos Samaras of Greece's NET said "it was more like a big musical, a rock opera ... than an Olympics ceremony". French sports newspaper L'Équipe wrote that it "took the classic from such events and had fun with them" whilst Le Parisien said it "was magnificent, inventive and offbeat drawing heavily on the roots of British identity". Germany's Die Welt hailed it as "spectacular, glitzy but also provoking and moving”.[183]
    Chinese news CCTV-4 said the ceremony was a "stunning feast for the eyes".[184] South Korea's Yonhap said it was "by turns dramatic, imaginative, humorous and solemn" and "weaved the story of the country's past, present and future". Singapore's Straits Times said it was a "grand show" noteworthy for both "scale" and "authenticity". The Australian Daily praised a "glorious pandemonium devoted to London's thriving, chaotic energy ... deliberately revelling in the chaos of Britain's free society and popular culture". France's Le Figaro said it reflected "the best contributions that Britain has given to the world ... its sense of humour, its music, and of course sport". The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation said it was a "rocking, rollicking, sometimes quiet and brooding ceremony." Qatar's The Peninsula said London did a "spectacular job" making the ceremony a "memorable event".[10]

You're here too Fred.

I was worried you'd get bored!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭OldRio

Incorrect. The resurgence of the poppy is coincidental with the resugence of national pride people in the UK have had in the last decade. This has been due to things like winning the rugby world cup, the success of the olympics, open and proud support of our national teams in sport through reclaiming the st george cross from far right groups. In many ways it is very much a symbol of reclaiming the flag and national pride from being the preserve of extremists. We are proud of our country, and are allowed to be so, and this has led to younger generations in particular showing increased respect for the soldiers who fought and died for their country.

As for the Asian immigrants question, out at lunch today in a northern industrial town with a large asian population I saw numerous wearing the poppy, many of them young, and others putting their change in the collections too. Perhaps some, extremists if you will, object to the poppy, but most do not. The race riots of a dozen or so years ago are a distant memory, and there is a much greater sense of community now than there has been for years.

That is the biggest load of garbage I have ever read.
    So many inaccuracies and bull.
    I'm actually staggered.
    Do you honestly think people will believe this.
    You forget that many of us visit the UK to see friends and relatives.
    This wonderful utopian land were people of different races embrace the poppy together in pride and community spirit does not exist. Except in your fevered imagination.

OldRio wrote: »
    Some many inaccuracies and bull.
    I'm actually staggered.
    This wonderful utopian land were people of different races embrace the poppy together in pride and community spirit does not exist. Except in your fevered imagination.

Ok, you know more about the UK from a few visits than I do from over 40 years of living there......

i'm not saying it's utopia, I'm saying it's better than it was 15 years ago when there were race riots.

As for the poppy, the asain fellow in the office next door to mine has his poppy on his coat, as do the 6 that work on the engineering floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭OldRio

Ok, you know more about the UK from a few visits than I do from over 40 years of living there......

i'm not saying it's utopia, I'm saying it's better than it was 15 years ago when there were race riots.

As for the poppy, the asain fellow in the office next door to mine has his poppy on his coat, as do the 6 that work on the engineering floor.

Pray tell whereabouts I said I had made a 'few visits' to the UK ? Just wondering.
    A few 'asian fellows' ? Just a few?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

All these reviews of the ceremony, and nobody had a problem other than you...

I imagine the sketch involving the queen and James Bond had some on here literally frothing at the mouth. (Not that they would be watching - lol)

Im not normally one for these sort of things but I have to admit the London Olympics ceremony was pretty impressive. Great entertainment for what turned out to be a great games.

There's always the odd sourpuss no matter how good something is. Ffs I know someone from work who keeps saying that Usain bolt isn't anything special. :-) Some people just want the attention I think.

Pray tell whereabouts I said I had made a 'few visits' to the UK ? Just wondering.
    A few 'asian fellows' ? Just a few?

I knew Muslims that would wear a poppy.

Admittedly they didn't have beards, six wives and wear waistcoats lined with dynamite, but being of Pakistani origin and observing Ramadan did give me the impression they were Muslim.

You've obviously not heard of the ignore button if it offends you that much.

Why should I ignore someone making ignorant generalisations about Ireland.

Am I not allowed to challenge them?

• Advertisement

timthumbni wrote: »
    I imagine the sketch involving the queen and James Bond had some on here literally frothing at the mouth. (Not that they would be watching - lol)

Im not normally one for these sort of things but I have to admit the London Olympics ceremony was pretty impressive. Great entertainment for what turned out to be a great games.

There's always the odd sourpuss no matter how good something is. Ffs I know someone from work who keeps saying that Usain bolt isn't anything special. :-) Some people just want the attention I think.

But what really has christiano ronaldo really done? He has yet to prove himself!

Why should I ignore someone making ignorant generalisations about Ireland.

Am I not allowed to challenge them?

Which are no more than a reaction to sweeping ignorant generalisations about the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

It's better known name is Irish begrudgery. It can be seen everywhere from the smallest village to the largest city and even when they emigrate sure isn't it the first thing they pack ;)

Disclaimer: Not every Irish person is afflicted with said begrudgery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

I knew Muslims that would wear a poppy

It's all part of their cunning plan to smuggle in enough smack to destroy the British way of life.

Frothing yes, but for a different reason! (Splat!) ;)

Isolate the point about the Olympics all you want, we can all see that you guys don't want to address the wider point.

HansHolzel wrote: »
    It's all part of their cunning plan to smuggle in enough smack to destroy the British way of life.

Oh it's ok, our neighbouring country gives anyone with a bit of a tan a free house, free car and so many free pushchairs they can leave them at bus stops. We don't expect them to remain too much longer.

Frothing yes, but for a different reason! (Splat!) ;)

Isolate the point about the Olympics all you want, we can all see that you guys don't want to address the wider point.

Begrudgery?

Which are no more than a reaction to sweeping ignorant generalisations about the UK.

Which of course you always chose to ignore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 323gtr

Noooooo i wont wear a poppy for british soldiers hahahaha. do you think the would wear one for irish soldiers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

So many inaccuracies and bull.
    I'm actually staggered.

Before you take too much pleasure in the state of race relations in the UK, you might like to take a look at how they are progressing here. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement