Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭OldRio

I knew Muslims that would wear a poppy.

Admittedly they didn't have beards, six wives and wear waistcoats lined with dynamite, but being of Pakistani origin and observing Ramadan did give me the impression they were Muslim.

'Would' wear you say.
    Bit different to wearing one isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

OldRio wrote: »
    'Would' wear you say.

I can't believe I used the word would to mean do.

I'm turning Dub!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

OldRio wrote: »
    'Would' wear you say.

If it's any consolation I know 3 Muslims that DO/ARE wearing poppies this week.

323gtr wrote: »
    Noooooo i wont wear a poppy for british soldiers hahahaha. do you think the would wear one for irish soldiers.

Yes. Irish and British soldiers have served together on UN missions several times and train together regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭OldRio

Before you take too much pleasure in the state of race relations in the UK, you might like to take a look at how they are progressing here. :rolleyes:

I take no pleasure whatsoever in the state of race relations in the UK.
    I was responding to a ludicrous post on the matter.
    If you had read my post you should have gleaned that knowledge.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

:o *cringe*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

bumper234 wrote: »
    If it's any consolation I know 3 Muslims that DO/ARE wearing poppies this week.

And the campaign by the British Legion and government ministers to get 'Wear The Poppy, Don't Burn it' preached in mosques is just for the craic?

Begrudgery?

I begrudge some of the British their jingoism? Brilliant Fred.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I begrudge some of the British their jingoism? Brilliant Fred.

Sounds like you do.

And the campaign by the British Legion and government ministers to get 'Wear The Poppy, Don't Burn it' preached in mosques is just for the craic?

Pretty much like a few governments have asked idiots not to burn the Koran:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

:o *cringe*

I think you are starting to like that song Carlos. You keep going back for another listen.

Just saw 'poppy angels' (children all dressed in white wearing poppies) singing some armed forces tribute song the UK's state broadcaster's One Show.

It was all a bit creepy.

Pretty much like a few governments have asked idiots not to burn the Koran:rolleyes:

It's quite obvious that we are going nowhere here, you seem entrenched in a defensive position that won't allow your brain to process past a certain point for fear of what you might have to say or admit.
    Sad that an old retired soldier is braver than anonymous posters on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

no, its part of the poppy terrorism/extremism/fascism that is rife in britain mainly cheered by vermin rags such as the daily fail

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

It's quite obvious that we are going nowhere here, you seem entrenched in a defensive position that won't allow your brain to process past a certain point for fear of what you might have to say or admit.
    Sad that an old retired soldier is braver than anonymous posters on the internet.

So do you think the "don't burn the poppy" campaign is aimed at the few idiots who would do it or do you think it is aimed at EVERY Muslim in Great Britain?

So do you think the "don't burn the poppy" campaign is aimed at the few idiots who would do it or do you think it is aimed at EVERY Muslim in Great Britain?

Did I say that?
    Way back in the thread when I brought it up first the point I was making was that
    I suspect that the same objections and distaste of the poppy exists in second and third generations of British Muslims as exists among Irish republicans.
    Why would the BL and the government be asking for sermons in mosques if there wasn't a problem? Are they doing it on foot of a couple of incidents out the back of a lock up in Bristol or Birmingham?

Hang on, retired member of the British army, who are the spawn of the devil, should be listened to, but a retired member of the IRA, who were nice cuddly freedom fighters, is a liar because he says Adams was in the IRA?

Go on, admit it, you make this stuff up as you go on don't you.

Did I say that?
    Way back in the thread when I brought it up first the point I was making was that

Why would the BL and the government be asking for sermons in mosques if there wasn't a problem? Are they doing it on foot of a couple of incidents out the back of a lock up in Bristol or Birmingham?

Is your problem with the British, or Muslims?

Hang on, retired member of the British army, who are the spawn of the devil, should be listened to

All I said was 'he was braver than some of the cowards on here'

I think you are making stuff up about what I said Fred!

Did I say that?

Maybe for the same reason the head of NATO asked Pastor Jones not to burn the Koran.

http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2010/09/07/nato_chief_please_don_t_burn_the_quran_in_florida

All it takes is a couple of idiots to do something stupid to start off riots and fighting. You should know this from your extensive knowledge of Northern Ireland;)

All I said was 'he was braver than some of the cowards on here'

I think you are making stuff up about what I said Fred!

What makes posters on here "cowards"?

• Advertisement

What makes posters on here "cowards"?

Your every attempt to block investigation of the very evident problem with the 'poppy' and what the cause of that problem is.
    At least Fred admitted he has qualms about 'poppy fascism'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

If you're Irish and wear a poppy then at Easter shouldn't you wear a lilly?

Your every attempt to block investigation of the very evident problem with the 'poppy' and what the cause of that problem is.
    At least Fred admitted he has qualms about 'poppy fascism'.

Investigate away my friend. Whatever problem you or anyone else has with the RBL or the poppy is exactly that.....your problem. Just because I do not agree with your point of view or opinion does not make me a coward.

6781 wrote: »
    If your Irish and wear a poppy then at Easter shouldn't you wear a lilly?

Noooooo that glorifies murdering scumbag terrorists who bomb women and children with impunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Noooooo that glorifies murdering scumbag terrorists who bomb women and children with impunity.

....doesn't narrow things down a lot....

Investigate away my friend. Whatever problem you or anyone else has with the RBL or the poppy is exactly that.....your problem. Just because I do not agree with your point of view or opinion does not make me a coward.

It does when you avoid answering questions and you won't even admit to yourself that there is a 'problem'. Which is sad if not a bit pathetic.

It does when you avoid answering questions and you won't even admit to yourself that there is a 'problem'. Which is sad if not a bit pathetic.

Again you are of the opinion that there is a problem I am of the opinion that there isn't. Disagreeing with you is not cowardice it's freedom of of choice.

All IRA volunteers were murdering scumbags who should all rot in hell, if you disagree with me does that make you a coward?

Again you are of the opinion that there is a problem I am of the opinion that there isn't. Disagreeing with you is not cowardice it's freedom of of choice.

All IRA volunteers were murdering scumbags who should all rot in hell, if you disagree with me does that make you a coward?

Dear me, don't rattle the cage.

There is a very clear problem that is provoking comment from soldiers, media and academia. You need to get over yourself and discuss it. It's generally half the solution.
    'Poppy fascism', it's funny that the first time I read that term, it came from the keyboard of one of our venerable and cuddly Unionists!

Dear me, don't rattle the cage.

There is a very clear problem that is provoking comment from soldiers, media and academia. You need to get over yourself and discuss it. It's generally half the solution.
    'Poppy fascism', it's funny that the first time I read that term, it came from the keyboard of one of our venerable and cuddly Unionists!

There is a "problem" insofar as there will always be idiots, they know there is a small chance that some small "radical" element of the Muslim community may burn a poppy to illicit a response. In the same way there is a small chance that a small "radical" element of the Christian community may burn the Koran to illicit a response.

I don't see why you feel the need to grip onto this like a dog with a bone but if asking imams to ask youngsters not to get caught up in extremism is bad then again that is your opinion. Maybe you think they should be left to get brainwashed into doing stupid things and getting killed or jailed like the youngster's in NI did in the 70's and 80's.

• Advertisement

There is a "problem" insofar as there will always be idiots, they know there is a small chance that some small "radical" element of the Muslim community may burn a poppy to illicit a response. In the same way there is a small chance that a small "radical" element of the Christian community may burn the Koran to illicit a response.

I don't see why you feel the need to grip onto this like a dog with a bone but if asking imams to ask youngsters not to get caught up in extremism is bad then again that is your opinion. Maybe you think they should be left to get brainwashed into doing stupid things and getting killed or jailed like the youngster's in NI did in the 70's and 80's.

The Muslim issue is just one part of the problem. Stop trying to railroad the debate down that line.
    What is stupid about a peaceful protest against what the poppy has come to represent by the way?
    Is Paxman stupid, Robert Fisk? The soldier who obviously spoke out in great personal emotional pain, stupid too? Those three didn't mention the Muslim aspect so don't try and hang the discussion on that. Deal with what those three said.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement