Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

bumper234 wrote: »
    There is a "problem" insofar as there will always be idiots, they know there is a small chance that some small "radical" element of the Muslim community may burn a poppy to illicit a response. In the same way there is a small chance that a small "radical" element of the Christian community may burn the Koran to illicit a response.

Anjhem Chourdry and his lumpen followers are to Islam what a poster on another forum who mocks the victims of the Enniskillen bomb and RUC members committing suicide is to Irish Republicanism- i.e. cold hearted and distasteful trolls. That said there is a massive difference between not going along with his nonsense and merrily wearing Poppies while singing "God Save the Queen" and supporting "the boys". As far as the Christian community is concerned you have massive amounts of people in it particularly in Wales but also elsewhere who would be pacifists- than you have a large group of people of Irish Roman Catholic descent who while loving Britain and fully intergrated more or less are not to warm about parts of British history. The poppy is not a Christian symbol by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Happyman42 wrote: »
    The Muslim issue is just one part of the problem. Stop trying to railroad the debate down that line.
    What is stupid about a peaceful protest against what the poppy has come to represent by the way?
    Is Paxman stupid, Robert Fisk? The soldier who obviously spoke out in great personal emotional pain, stupid too? Those three didn't mention the Muslim aspect so don't try and hang the discussion on that. Deal with what those three said.

3 people out of how many millions? Not everyone is going to agree on something and that's human nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

3 people out of how many millions? Not everyone is going to agree on something and that's human nature.

I give up. Night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Anjhem Chourdry

If someone shot that fucker I'd buy him a pint.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    The Muslim issue is just one part of the problem. Stop trying to railroad the debate down that line.
    What is stupid about a peaceful protest against what the poppy has come to represent by the way?
    Is Paxman stupid, Robert Fisk? The soldier who obviously spoke out in great personal emotional pain, stupid too? Those three didn't mention the Muslim aspect so don't try and hang the discussion on that. Deal with what those three said.

Because they also chant "British soldiers go to hell" and the leader of this group appeared on television after Lee Rigby was murdered and stated with a smirk that he was in the hell fire and that no Muslim should feel sorry for him. Do I believe it is immoral to join the British Army? Yes I do- however these people go way to far and we should also remember that they support the terror campaign in Syria and as well as stirring up hatred of Shia Muslims.

• Advertisement

Because they also chant "British soldiers go to hell" and the leader of this group appeared on television after Lee Rigby was murdered and stated with a smirk that he was in the hell fire and that no Muslim should feel sorry for him. Do I believe it is immoral to join the British Army? Yes I do- however these people go way to far and we should also remember that they support the terror campaign in Syria and as well as stirring up hatred of Shia Muslims.

Totally, totally agree with the above, I was referring to those who peacefully protest it, which they have a right to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

these people go way to far

People like Anjhem Chourdry are enemies of humanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Why do you believe it is immoral to join the British army?

Does that apply to any army, or just the British?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

All IRA volunteers were murdering scumbags who should all rot in hell
    no their not, their freedom fighters who had to take down the unionists little puppet state which was being propped up by the british government and army, when the army decided to turn on the catholics because they were irish and catholic these good men put their lives on the line to try stop the BA from murdering and pillaging, these freedom fighters have spaces reserved in heaven for them

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

no their not, their freedom fighters who had to take down the unionists little puppet state which was being propped up by the british government and army, when the army decided to turn on the catholics because they were irish and catholic these good men put their lives on the line to try stop the BA from murdering and pillaging, these freedom fighters have spaces reserved in heaven for them

" these freedom fighters have spaces reserved in heaven for them "

Not if the Muslim bombers get there first with their 78 virgins

• Advertisement

Why do you believe it is immoral to join the British army?

Does that apply to any army, or just the British?

I dont agree with standing armies in general; however the British Army does have a habit of getting involved in actual wars that could not be described as defensive. I would say the same about the Russian Army given their colonial war in Chechnya.

People like Anjhem Chourdry are enemies of humanity.

I dont understand why he gets so much media attention- its like putting forward Clifford Peeples as a representive of Protestantism in Ireland.

He is a very dangerous man; the EDL probably would not exist if it wasnt for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Roy Keane was wearing one recently, half the country will have one next year as a result.

I dont agree with standing armies in general; however the British Army does have a habit of getting involved in actual wars that could not be described as defensive. I would say the same about the Russian Army given their colonial war in Chechnya.

The Irish army have been involved in lots of wars that aren't defensive. Are they immoral?

So would you say it's immoral for someone to join the Irish Army?

Lol

Just like your romantic "freedom fighters" heaven does not exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

The Irish army have been involved in lots of wars that aren't defensive. Are they immoral?

Which wars are these Fred?

P.s. peace keeping missions don't count

The Irish Defense Force mainly protect money drops on banks (okay they engage in some uncontroversial UN missions, but still...).

Which?

The Irish Defense Force mainly protect money drops on banks (okay they engage in some uncontroversial UN missions, but still...).

Is that a yes or a no?

• Advertisement

Which?

Bosnia, Syria, the Congo, Lebanon, Afghanistan.

Gee Bag wrote: »
    Which wars are these Fred?

P.s. peace keeping missions don't count

Well they're in Afghanistan at the moment.

Is that a yes or a no?

Its a maybe.

Honestly its pretty hard to think of the IDF along the same terms as you would think about the BA; the BA has nuclear missiles, does the IDF even have any tanks?

Where they actually involved in serious fighting?

Well they're in Afghanistan at the moment.

Fred,

This is really scrapping the barrell, I'm embarassed for you. The first four are either peace-keeping missions or observor missions.

Last I heard there were a total of seven Irish soldiers in Afghanistan working in a non-combat role.

Is that a yes or a no?

To be honest I dont know much about the IDF or its history-I grew up in Northern Ireland. I will have to do some research on the subject.

Would the pair of you ever answer on the subject and quit the whataboutery.

They were involved in heavy fighting in the Congo in the 1960's.

They also suffered a lot of casualties in the Lebanon, primarily by being shelled and land mines.

Err, jadotville was pretty serious. Not sure about east Timor, but they weren't exactly giving cookery lessons in Chad.

• Advertisement

Gee Bag wrote: »
    Fred,

This is really scrapping the barrell, I'm embarassed for you. The first four are either peace-keeping missions or observor missions.

Last I heard there were a total of seven Irish soldiers in Afghanistan working in a non-combat role.

Working in a non combat role because the government is shirking it's responsibilities. The Irish government was happy to support sending other countries soldiers out to fight, but not their own.

There is no reason (other than lack of political cajones) why more Irish soldiers were not sent. Pop over to the military forum and ask their opinion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement