Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Working in a non combat role because the government is shirking it's responsibilities. The Irish government was happy to support sending other countries soldiers out to fight, but not their own.

There is no reason (other than lack of political cajones) why more Irish soldiers were not sent. Pop over to the military forum and ask their opinion.

Do you ever stop and think before you start typing this kind of inane shlte?

Exactly who are we shirking our responsibilities to who Fred? We're not in NATO.

Any significant foreign deployment has to be approved by the Dail. If any government tried to bring in a Dail motion to send troops on a belligerent foreign deployment would fall as the electorate would go fvcking mental. The current deployment to Afghanistan is permitted because the number of soldiers there is so small. This in itself is legally questionable.

I'm sure the lads on the military forum would love to go on a mission like this. However, their opinion isn't all that relevant as the Defence Forces don't get to decide state policy.

Next time try and do a little basic research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Working in a non combat role because the government is shirking it's responsibilities. The Irish government was happy to support sending other countries soldiers out to fight, but not their own.

There is no reason (other than lack of political cajones) why more Irish soldiers were not sent.

Taking this line hurts your credibility. I agree with you that the Irish government has no balls but for different reasons. The Irish government should not have let Shannon be used as a stepping stone and should have stayed out of it altogether instead of worrying what a bunch of pathetic chicken-hawks thought.
    Pop over to the military forum and ask their opinion.

Ask hammers what they think of nails?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Gee Bag wrote: »
    Do you ever stop and think before you start typing this kind of inane shlte?

Exactly who are we shirking our responsibilities to who Fred? We're not in NATO.

Any significant foreign deployment has to be approved by the Dail. If any government tried to bring in a Dail motion to send troops on a belligerent foreign deployment would fall as the electorate would go fvcking mental. The current deployment to Afghanistan is permitted because the number of soldiers there is so small. This in itself is legally questionable.

I'm sure the lads on the military forum would love to go on a mission like this. However, their opinion isn't all that relevant as the Defence Forces don't get to decide state policy.

Next time try and do a little basic research.

That's bollocks to be honest. If Ireland wants to sit on the UN Security Council and send people to conflict zones then it should have the balls to stand by that conviction.

You do some research and you will see that ISAF is led by NATO, but the are several non NATO countries involved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

Exactly who are we shirking our responsibilities to who Fred? We're not in NATO..

We are not in NATO because the majority of the population thankfully wouldnt have it...That said the actual elite are very much in the NATO camp.

The 26 counties have come along from DeValera and his anti-colonial and pro-peace independent foreign policy (that said I do think the south should have got involved in WWII but that is another debate).

That's bollocks to be honest. If Ireland wants to sit on the UN Security Council and send people to conflict zones then it should have the balls to stand by that conviction.

You do some research and you will see that ISAF is led by NATO, but the are several non NATO countries involved.

I presume your referring to resolution 1441 to disarm Iraq of weapons of mass destruction. You might recall that there was a spot of bother with the American and British governments lying through their teeth about that, dodgy dossiers, scientists being bullied to the extent that they committed suicide etc. Hell, even the French, Russians and Chinese voted in favour of 1441.

The implenetation of 1441 by Britain and America was illegal under international law. You might remember there was a wee bit of fuss about it at the time.

If you were in Ireland in 2003 you might also remember 100,000 people attending an anti-war march in Dublin.

I await your next stunningly inaccurate post the way a nappy awaits a bowel movement.

http://www.refworld.org/cgi-bin/texis/vtx/rwmain?docid=3dda0f634

• Advertisement

I presume your referring to resolution 1441 to disarm Iraq of weapons of mass destruction. You might recall that there was a spot of bother with the American and British governments lying through their teeth about that, dodgy dossiers, scientists being bullied to the extent that they committed suicide etc. Hell, even the French, Russians and Chinese voted in favour of 1441.

The implenetation of 1441 by Britain and America was illegal under international law. You might remember there was a wee bit of fuss about it at the time.

If you were in Ireland in 2003 you might also remember 100,000 people attending an anti-war march in Dublin.

I await your next stunningly inaccurate post the way a nappy awaits a bowel movement.

http://www.refworld.org/cgi-bin/texis/vtx/rwmain?docid=3dda0f634

You do know Iraq and Afghanistan are different countries right?
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Security_Council_Resolution_1386

Resolution 1386 is the one you want.

Spot the tri-colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

I just wonder why Brits (esp. supposed squaddies) would bother with boards.ie unless they're seriously conflicted.

HansHolzel wrote: »
    I just wonder why Brits (esp. supposed squaddies) would bother with boards.ie unless they're seriously conflicted.

Because there is a massive amount of people living in England of Irish descent so like or not the two countries are very connected.

Because there is a massive amount of people living in England of Irish descent so like or not the two countries are very connected.

I'm pretty sure all the Brits who post on here live in Ireland. We are allowed to you know.

You do know Iraq and Afghanistan are different countries right?
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Security_Council_Resolution_1386

Resolution 1386 is the one you want.

Spot the tri-colour.

First off 1386 was passed in december 2001, after the Talliban had supposedly been vanquished and only three months after 9/11. Do you really think Ireland was going to object to the yanks going in there after what happened in New York?

Using the logic in your initial post any country that voted in favour of 1386 (which was passed unanimosly) should have sent troops, that would include
    • China
    • Russia
    • Colombia
    • Bangledesh
    • Jamaica
    • Mali
    • Mauritius
    • Singapore
    • Tunisia
    • Ukrraine
    Of these Ukraine and Singapore only sent medical teams.

Is there any chance you could give us all a well deserved break and go on the equivalent of boards for the countries listed above and annoy them for a while with your interminable, meandering shlte talk?

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure all the Brits who post on here live in Ireland. We are allowed to you know.

I dont have any problem with British people living in Ireland at all. Did my post say that? It was saying basically that British people in Britain had every right to post here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Ah Jesus Fred, even by your standards your posts in the last 2-3 pages have been pretty ****ing shocking.
    Do you even think before you type or does blind support of "Britannia" just completely take over before you spew your nonsense?

First off 1386 was passed in december 2001, after the Talliban had supposedly been vanquished and only three months after 9/11. Do you really think Ireland was going to object to the yanks going in there after what happened in New York?

Using the logic in your initial post any country that voted in favour of 1386 (which was passed unanimosly) should have sent troops, that would include
    • China
    • Russia
    • Colombia
    • Bangledesh
    • Jamaica
    • Mali
    • Mauritius
    • Singapore
    • Tunisia
    • Ukrraine
    Of these Ukraine and Singapore only sent medical teams.

Is there any chance you could give us all a well deserved break and go on the equivalent of boards for the countries listed above and annoy them for a while with your interminable, meandering shlte talk?

Do people in those countries harp on constantly about those nasty Brits and their imperialism?

Do people in those countries harp on constantly about those nasty Brits and their imperialism?

I'd say they fvcking would if they had to listen to you!

loads of countries, loads of criticism

sorry

Seaneh wrote: »
    Ah Jesus Fred, even by your standards your posts in the last 2-3 pages have been pretty ****ing shocking.
    Do you even think before you type or does blind support of "Britannia" just completely take over before you spew your nonsense?

Sorry seaneh, I know the truth hurts.

loads of countries, loads of criticism

sorry

Lol, how do you know?

And you feel obsessed to defend the indefensible shame of empire

And you feel obsessed to defend the indefensible shame of empire

When? You'd like me to so you can pigeonhole me into your bigoted stereotype. But you can't I'm afraid.

I'd say they fvcking would if they had to listen to you!

Have you worked out where Afghanistan is yet?

• Advertisement

Actually, I know a few Jamaicans who could give a good account of the atrocities carried out by "The Empire" in their country. I'm sure there are plenty of people in Bangladesh who could do likewise.

The others were lucky enough not to have been subject to British rule for several centuries and and avoided problems that came with it.

Actually, I know a few Jamaicans who could give a good account of the atrocities carried out by "The Empire" in their country. I'm sure there are plenty of people in Bangladesh who could do likewise.

The others were lucky enough not to have been subject to British rule for several centuries and and avoided problems that came with it.

You know a few Jamaicans? Really?

Have you worked out where Afghanistan is yet?

Is that really the best you can come up with?

Turning up uninvited in other people's countries.

Says it all.

Shame on the ignorance of the squaddie.

You know a few Jamaicans? Really?

Actually, yeah, I know a fair few, I know a few Grenadian families too.

Imagine that, former colonies sometimes interact in the modern age, shock horror!

Says it all.

The British Empire, spends several centuries dehumanising, subjugating, starving, raping, killing, oppressing and pillaging people on every continent of the planet and then act like the victim when they get followed home.

Is that really the best you can come up with?

Oh come on, you've been shown that Ireland fully supports the war in Afghanistan and you can't handle it.

Jesus, you and others constantly refer to it as a British and US war, but there are 42 countries involved. It is UN sanctioned with a clear mandate to support the Afghan government. Other than the strength of the bad guys, there is little difference between that war and most of the missions Ireland gets involved in.

But no, it's da Brits and they is the bad guys.

Says it all.

What?

Actually, yeah, I know a fair few, I know a few Grenadian families too.

Imagine that, former colonies sometimes interact in the modern age, shock horror!

Good for you. How cosmopolitan you must feel.

• Advertisement

with a clear mandate to support the Afghan government.

You mean the US puppet government made up of former warlords and tribal leaders who the US and UK paid off to gain their support?

Because, ya know, that proves you're right in every way, altogether.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement