Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

timthumbni wrote: »
    Though I don't really see why poppy size should concern anyone tbh.

You would say that, wouldn't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Though I don't really see why poppy size should concern anyone
    Poppy envy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,448 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I particularly love the diamante ones like Cowell wears!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

We had a wee woman at the door this morning selling poppies - husband who's so anti - poppy wearing its unbelievable, he took the woman onto the porch out of the lashing rain and bought not just one poppy but two(he is a bit tired from his trip to Amsterdam during the week was his excuse - aye right :rolleyes:)! I'm not so sure she would have had a sale if I'd answered the door though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Happyman42 wrote: »

Yes, I suppose I would. I'm trying to imagine the sort of person who would be "concerned" about the size of a poppy, the poppy itself and also some unspecified insults in the London Olympics ceremony.

You must be a fragile wee flower. I bet you were tapping your feet in the ceremony just like the rest of us. ;-) I can't believe you would sit through that whingeing to all around about how Danny Boyle left out Bloody Sunday etc.

It was a blooming Olympic ceremony for feck sake. A showcase for the positive things about Britain and British life.

If you were on a first date with some young filly would you try and talk about the positive aspects and make yourself look good or would you focus on the negatives and tell her how you pissed the bed when you were plastered one night. You don't appear to live up to your user name at all happy man. ;-)

• Advertisement

Yes, I suppose I would. I'm trying to imagine the sort of person who would be "concerned" about the size of a poppy, the poppy itself and also some unspecified insults in the London Olympics ceremony.

You must be a fragile wee flower. I bet you were tapping your feet in the ceremony just like the rest of us. ;-) I can't believe you would sit through that whingeing to all around about how Danny Boyle left out Bloody Sunday etc.

It was a blooming Olympic ceremony for feck sake. A showcase for the positive things about Britain and British life.

If you were on a first date with some young filly would you try and talk about the positive aspects and make yourself look good or would you focus on the negatives and tell her how you pissed the bed when you were plastered one night. You don't appear to live up to your user name at all happy man. ;-)

It's never too hard (but thoroughly amusing, hence my username) to rattle the cages of the arrogant on this subject.
    I love and take note how some posters here focus on one part of a general point and then proceed to try and make somebody look like a shrill or troll.

Carry on, until your carried off.

p.s. Maybe you tell your 'young fillies' that the size was more important even though it might occasionally leak? Does that kind of approach get you laid?
    After all if she was your soulmate, she would be willing to ignore anything in order to gratify herself and believe what she wanted to believe.
    I've often wondered how spouses can ignore the evils perpetrated by their other halves. QED. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/poppycock--or-why-remembrance-rituals-make-me-see-red-8927751.html

"He [Fisk's father] had survived that war and outlived another and the end of the British Empire, which I suspect we have not ceased mourning – could that be really what the poppies are all about?"

Robert Fisk, 09/11/13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

And you would be the one person who is concerned/bothered about poppy size....any other areas of your life where size is such an issue that it gets you enraged?

HansHolzel wrote: »
    http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/poppycock--or-why-remembrance-rituals-make-me-see-red-8927751.html

"He [Fisk's father] had survived that war and outlived another and the end of the British Empire, which I suspect we have not ceased mourning – could that be really what the poppies are all about?"

Robert Fisk, 09/11/13

The reality that Britain and NI's armchair 'militarybots' (:)) don't want to confront.

bumper234 wrote: »
    And you would be the one person who is concerned/bothered about poppy size.

And you also think that the growing size of these things isn't indicative of something else? Quelle suprise.

• Advertisement

The reality that Britain and NI's armchair 'militarybots' (:)) don't want to confront.

Ah but that was reported in the independent and you have already stated that the Independent tells lies. Or is it only the Irish independent that tells lies and the UK version is telling the truth?

Ah but that was reported in the independent and you have already stated that the Independent tells lies. Or is it only the Irish independent that tells lies and the UK version is telling the truth?

Wot? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The reality, or just someone's opinion?

You are becoming so repetitive now you've hone from moaner, to obsessed, to cliche and now parody.

Olympic opening ceremony for **** sake. You really do suffer from small man syndrome.

Wot? :confused:

From the Gerry Adams thread where you claim the Irish Independent is not a trustworthy news source. Is the UK independent a trustworthy news source? Or are they only good to go when it suits your agenda?
    The Independent is legendary for this kind of stuff. 'Unnamed Garda sources' etc etc.

Why, considering the stakes, would they do that?

Rogue actions in an army are hard to guard against as the BA well knows. If it was sanctioned by the leadership, why in heavens name would they arm their enemies? Make sense please.

Edit: I can't find the story anywhere else...sure sign the Indo is bull****ting.
    And where is all the stuff about the IRA lying to the Commission, according to 'Senior Garda sources' and 'tonnes' of semtex and '200' guns?

The Commission itself is on record as saying that you can never be sure if all has been decommissioned but their assessment was that it was and that the people involved where reliable.

I know you are new here, let it be a lesson to avoid the Indo, if you are looking for honest journalism.
    To save future confusion to us newbies maybe you can give me a list of credible news sources that the shinnerbots on here consider to be reliable:rolleyes:
    Any agency that doesn't use catch all terms like 'Shinnerbot' and 'IRA' to encompass all and every republican organisation.
    You'll get the hang of it with the application of some brains and common sense. It's not nice to be fooled by propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

From the Gerry Adams thread where you claim the Irish Independent is not a trustworthy news source. Is the UK independent a trustworthy news source? Or are they only good to go when it suits your agenda?
    Well they're not in any way, shape or form linked (bar the name), so I don't get what you're trying to say.

Well they're not in any way, shape or form linked (bar the name), so I don't get what you're trying to say.

I've told bumper already to take the boots off before jumping in. :rolleyes:

You are becoming so repetitive now you've hone from moaner, to obsessed, to cliche and now parody.
    :D:D Coming from you Fred, that's a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Yes we know how many Irish men died in the wars and if the poppies were to just mean remembrance for them no bother. I would never wear a poppy because I have family I have never met because of 1st para actions in Derry

Which is an understandable, well reasoned point of view.

I would, and do wear a poppy but then I haven't suffered loss like that because of the actions of anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Yes we know how many Irish men died in the wars and if the poppies were to just mean remembrance for them no bother.

And that's the reason why so many Irish people me included (North & South) wear the poppy.
    I would never wear a poppy because I have family I have never met because of 1st para actions in Derry

A very understandable reason as to why you wouldn't wear one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

LordSutch wrote: »
    And that's the reason why so many Irish people me included (North & South) wear the poppy.

How many in the Republic wear a poppy out of interest?, any sales figures from the poppy sellers for here?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 222 ✭✭harryr711

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭LOSTfan57

Jaysuz this is still going....

I am asking because it's ironic that when an Irish newspaper reports something bad about republicans he screams "pish and piffle its the indo they can't be trusted" But is more than willing to believe everything he reads in a British newspaper which everyone knows is part of the establishment that he claims to despise so much :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

I am asking because it's ironic that when an Irish newspaper reports something bad about republicans he screams "pish and piffle its the indo they can't be trusted" But is more than willing to believe everything he reads in a British newspaper which everyone knows is part of the establishment that he claims to despise so much :rolleyes:

British Newspapers tend to be better; The Irish Times is awful and The Irish Independent is utterly vile. They do very little actual reporting and have rarely anything interesting to say or anything at all outside of very narrow limits. The Guardian for instance has FAR superior coverage of Northern Ireland.

Did I and others not prove that the article from the Independent was indeed very well gilded by the lily? It was nonsense, dangerous and spurious nonsense to boot. And as it is not the first time the Independent has been found out on this kind of nuanced reporting then I am quite correct to be suspicious of any thing they publish.
    The article in the English Independent is not a news item, it is 'opinion' that I have no reason to suspect, unless of course the writer/soldier doesn't exist.

You have been caught out making several assumptions based on dodgy information that you chose not to interrogate. When in a hole of your own making, stop digging, would be my advice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

The Belfast Telegraph is also rather pitiful to put it mildly and The Newsletter is slightly touched. The Irish News is just dull.

An Phoblacht you always get the sense that you are reading something designed just to basically advertize Sinn Fein.

Actually fair play to them; the IRSP's journal The Starry Plough always has good stuff in it.

The Belfast Telegraph is also rather pitiful to put it mildly and The Newsletter is slightly touched. The Irish News is just dull.

An Phoblacht you always get the sense that you are reading something designed just to basically advertize Sinn Fein.

Actually fair play to them; the IRSP's journal The Starry Plough always has good stuff in it.

Any newspaper, news channel, news agency is gonna be useless if you don't engage brain when using them. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

wazky wrote: »
    How many in the Republic wear a poppy out of interest?, any sales figures from the poppy sellers for here?

You might spot the odd one or two in a city wearing one, they are usually British tourists visiting here or British workers who immigrated and have not assimilated yet.

The vast majority of the Irish people don't wear one as they don't support the British military, they support the Irish military instead and simply put, they ain't Unionists.

• Advertisement

moxin wrote: »
    You might spot the odd one or two in a city wearing one, they are usually British tourists visiting here or British workers who immigrated and have not assimilated yet.

The vast majority of the Irish people don't wear one as they don't support the British military, they support the Irish military instead and simply put, they ain't Unionists.

I saw 7 today while I was in Dublin city center this was in the space of 20 minutes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement