Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Basil Fawlty

Take what you will from this photo but I feel it speaks volumes. Despite what people want to believe or choose to believe those of us with an opinion outside of the Republican vision for Ireland were bullied into a situation of put up and shut up. This is why some of us still feel very strongly about the wearing of the poppy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Despite what people want to believe or choose to believe those of us with an opinion outside of the Republican vision for Ireland

What opinion would that be? That Ireland should be a British vassal dependency with a decrepit Monarchy at its head?
    were bullied into a situation of put up and shut up.

Tell me more about how an opinion can be 'bullied'...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

What opinion would that be? That Ireland should be a British vassal dependency with a decrepit Monarchy at its head?

Tell me more about how an opinion can be 'bullied'...

See the first part of your post tbh.

See the first part of your post tbh.
    What was on offer before 1916 was Home Rule – devolution, well short of independence. It is assumed by many that Home Rule would have evolved automatically into sovereign independence [...] The truth is that without 1916 our people might well have settled down for a time at least within a Home Rule system [...] with the evolution of the welfare state, Ireland would have become increasingly dependent financially on Britain.

If Home Rule had endured for any length of time, a move to independence would have become so costly in the short-run that it is most unlikely that there would ever have been a willingness to pay the price of doing without these transfers

Garret Fitzgerald.

I don't think the description 'British dependency' would be too far off the mark tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Nope i shall not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Personally, I look upon the poppy as a token of our respect for all those who have served in conflicts past and present. When I look at one, it reminds me of all those wonderful soldiers who are on duty at the moment around the world. I feel a hell of a lot safer knowing they are out there defending us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I don't think the description 'British dependency' would be too far off the mark tbh.

The instant shouting down as ridiculous, accusations of being a traitor, a west brit etc are all examples of republican bully boy tactics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Well done Nodin, you managed to get the opium wars in this time (or is that just you proving you're not a bot). Pretty sure the €2 I paid for my poppy won't be going to anyone who fought in that war, or anyone who fought to create white imperialist colonies for that matter.

You'll find the Kenyan project was ongoing for a long time. You might want to look up when decolonisation happened. Its not that long ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Yes. Have worn one every year since Enniskillen.

COYW wrote: »
    Personally, I look upon the poppy as a token of our respect for all those who have served in conflicts past and present. When I look at one, it reminds me of all those wonderful soldiers who are on duty at the moment around the world. I feel a hell of a lot safer knowing they are out there defending us.

Why would you respect somebody who fought in a conflict whose purpose was to subjugate a native people and have them ruled by a racist colonial regime?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

Nodin wrote: »
    Why would you respect somebody who fought in a conflict whose purpose was to subjugate a native people and have them ruled by a racist colonial regime?
    Because not all conflicts were on this island!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

I am not aware of such a conflict which involved British troops.

Are you not proud of the Irish men who fought in the world wars? But for those men, we would live in a very, very unpleasant and different world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

No.

I am not aware of such a conflict which involved British troops. .

Are you taking the piss? The whole Empire was a racist enterprise. Did you think Kenya, Uganda, Iraq, Iran and the rest were somewhere near Kent?

Are you not proud of the Irish men who fought in the world wars? But for those men, we would live in a very, very unpleasant and different world.

We aren't talking about the two world wars. We're talking about the poppy.

I am not aware of such a conflict which involved British troops.

What do you think went on in India, South Africa? Democracy for all, the NHS, love and hugs, cricket and tiffin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

No, why would I wear the symbol of or contribute to the retirement fund of an army of butchers who brutalized my country for centuries, and murdered some of my ancestors?

Stupid question. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The_Gatsby wrote: »
    To stop the IRA killing innocent people?

Perhaps brush up on your history and find out why the BA was originally sent to NI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Are you taking the piss? The whole Empire was a racist enterprise. Did you think Kenya, Uganda, Iraq, Iran and the rest were somewhere near Kent?

To the majority of people the poppy is symbolic of world wars 1 and 2. My own memories of remembrance Sunday was always old men remembering the fallen from these wars. If you or others wish to try to hijack those memories so you can continue to wring your hands over things (real or perceived) that happened to people you don't know then that's your perogative. I will wear my poppy (and help the heroes band) with pride and if anyone is offended by that then that is their problem not mine.

johnr1 wrote: »
    No, why would I wear the symbol of or contribute to the retirement fund of an army of butchers who brutalized my country for centuries, and murdered some of my ancestors?

Stupid question. :rolleyes:

For the same reason one might buy an Easter lily.

wear the symbol of or contribute to the retirement fund of an army of butchers who brutalized your country for centuries, and murdered some of my ancestors?

The instant shouting down as ridiculous,

The numbers of people who'd like to have the whole island back under the British imperial cloak is really rather minuscule. Having the aspiration is fine. Having it for the other 99% of people in the 26 counties is ridiculous.
    accusations of being a traitor

Well I've never called anyone like that a traitor. I think being anti-independence is pretty shameful though.
    a west brit

They tick a lot of the boxes in all fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

bumper234 wrote: »
    To the majority of people the poppy is symbolic of world wars 1 and 2. My own memories of remembrance Sunday was always old men remembering the fallen from these wars. If you or others wish to try to hijack those memories so you can continue to wring your hands over things (real or perceived) that happened to people you don't know then that's your perogative. I will wear my poppy (and help the heroes band) with pride and if anyone is offended by that then that is their problem not mine.

That's not what the symbol stands for, as you've been told umpteen times. It's a Royal British Legion initiative to commemorate ALL British soldiers. That includes the ones responsible for prosecuting immoral imperialist campaigns.

As for Help for Heroes, you're really getting into silly territory with that.

Reverse racism!

PLUG71 wrote: »
    Reverse racism!

wtf....?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Reverse racism!

Not creaming your pants over the exploits of the British Army makes you a reverse racist?

The amount of colonial hangover cringe in this thread is ridiculous like, unfortunately Ireland has always had its share of stooping idiots who dress sycophancy up as "mature political perspective". Gobsh*tes are nothing new.

wtf....?
    Your just as racist towards the Brits!

FTA69 wrote: »
    That's not what the symbol stands for, as you've been told umpteen times. It's a Royal British Legion initiative to commemorate ALL British soldiers. That includes the ones responsible for prosecuting immoral imperialist campaigns.

As for Help for Heroes, you're really getting into silly territory with that.

Believe it or not I am probably one of the few in here that knows exactly what the poppy symbolises. If you read my post again I said to the MAJORITY of people the poppy is SYMBOLIC of world wars 1 and 2.

As for help the heroes it is a charity I am proud to do a lot of work for.

FTA69 wrote: »
    Not creaming your pants over the exploits of the British Army makes you a reverse racist?

The amount of colonial hangover cringe in this thread is ridiculous like, unfortunately Ireland has always had its share of stooping idiots who dress sycophancy up as "mature political perspective". Gobsh*tes are nothing new.
    So anybody with a opinion other than yours is a "stooping idiot"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

MATE IM GROWIN POPPIES IN MY POLLYTUNNEL ALL YEAR ROUND PM ME IF U NEED ANY TIPS OR ANY OTHER GARDEN ENTHUSIASTS UP FOR FRIENDLY CHAT ABOUT PLANTS AND GARDENING THAT INCLUDES POPPIES OH AND EASTER LILLIES TOO HEHE REGARDS AND BEST WISHES BRIAN

Your just as racist towards the Brits!

....(a) where did I go on about "the Brits" in that post and (b) "the Brits" aren't a race.

Are you saying the Empire wasn't a racist enterprise?

• Advertisement

So anybody with a opinion other than yours is a "stooping idiot"?

He's talking about the forelock tugging cap-in-hand Irishman suffering from post-colonial Stockholm Syndrome.

It's akin to an Irishman parading around in a bowler hat and suit in a bizarre analogy of a caricature of an Englishman... oh wait.. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement