Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭LOSTfan57

So this ****e comes to an end :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dublinbhoy88

timthumbni wrote: »
    Remembrance Sunday starting on the Brixton broadcasting corporation now for anyone interested.

Lest we forget....
    lest you forget indeed.. Hundreds of years of state sponsored terrorism that is

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Wearing mine with pride today. Love upsetting the Celtic/RA/Buckfast brigade:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Yeah it was shocking how an Irish government minister was diverting government funds to the IRA and helping to ship arms into the country. If that isn't state sponsored terrorism then please tell me what it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Remembrance Sunday starting on the Brixton broadcasting corporation now for anyone interested.

Lest we forget....

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Lapin wrote: »
    :confused:

Leny Henry TV show from the late eighties BBC = Brixton Broadcasting Corporation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

bumper234 wrote: »
    Yeah it was shocking how an Irish government minister was diverting government funds to the IRA and helping to ship arms into the country. If that isn't state sponsored terrorism then please tell me what it is.

It was an attempt to prevent an even bigger Orange-Nazi pogrom.

Billy McKee and a few of the boys with just a few guns held off thousands of marauding Orange apes at St. Matthew's Church in June 1970.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

...even if everything that was said about that was true, how does that get you off the hook?

Nodin wrote: »
    ...even if everything that was said about that was true, how does that get you off the hook?

What hook am I on? Why am I on it and how did I get there?

What hook am I on? Why am I on it and how did I get there?

The general "you" as you've decided to defend hundreds of years of Empire etc. That's the hook, that's why you're on it and yes, you put yourself there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Tugboats wrote: »
    Wearing mine with pride today. Love upsetting the Celtic/RA/Buckfast brigade:D
    Hope they give you a good going over,not because you are wearing a poppy,but just because your a racist idiot.:D

The general "you" as you've decided to defend hundreds of years of Empire etc. That's the hook, that's why you're on it and yes, you put yourself there.

I am not defending "hundreds of years of Empire" you just misinterpret that as it then gives you a chance to continue wringing your hands while lamenting "woe is me, sure look at me 800 years of oppression has me bet down here in the gutter to be sure for sure bejesus and begorrah" . :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

tipptom wrote: »
    Hope they give you a good going over,not because you are wearing a poppy,but just because your a racist idiot.:D

Racist ????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Yes. That's what the poppy and Remembrance Day is about.... In your mind.

I am not defending "hundreds of years of Empire" you just misinterpret that as it then gives you a chance to continue wringing your hands while lamenting "woe is me, sure look at me 800 years of oppression has me bet down here in the gutter to be sure for sure bejesus and begorrah" . :rolleyes:

No, that's exactly what you did. You brought up Charlie Haughey when somebody mentioned the Empire. Now unless CJ had a secret life as a war mongering dictator whose crimes spanned the centuries, that's a poor, sad excuse for an argument.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 Fukuoka Eagle

The poppy is all about glorification of war, and seeks to justify all the wars being remembered as somehow honourable.

That's like saying that the daffodil glorifies cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭dirtyden

So 800 years of murder, pillage, famine and apartheid should be forgiven because of the 'alleged' actions of a couple of people, which they were brought up in front of a court for? There were mitigating circumstances for those actions at the time. A reasonable man like Lynch considered the extreme action of sending the Irish army across the border to protect catholic communities given the real fear of unionist pogroms.

You really could not be comparing more contrasting situations if you tried.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 Fukuoka Eagle

I'm enjoying watching the Remembrance Sunday commemorations. The march past the Cenotaph and the Women at War Memorial is about to begin.

No, that's exactly what you did. You brought up Charlie Haughey when somebody mentioned the Empire. Now unless CJ had a secret life as a war mongering dictator whose crimes spanned the centuries, that's a poor, sad excuse for an argument.

Please show me where he mentions "The Empire" in this post :confused:

While at it lets look at that shall we.

State sponsored terrorism.

A minister for state moves funds to a terrorist organisation.

A minister for state gets caught up in gun running for the terrorist organisation.

sounds like state sponsored terrorism to me. Or is it only state sponsored terrorism when it's the big bold Brits :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

old hippy wrote: »
    It's that time of year again where mass debates ensue over paper flowers, pensioners, prisoners of war, the struggle, lillies et al. I noticed the first advert this morning at the bus stop today.

Will you be sporting one?
    Get a life man is this all you have to do with you time.

• Advertisement

I'm enjoying watching the Remembrance Sunday commemorations. The march past the Cenotaph and the Women at War Memorial is about to begin.

I'm amazed at how strong a man the queen's hubby Phil looks at 92. I know he's coming to end of his innings but he certainly doesn't look that age. What a bloke. And indeed the queen herself is looking fit for 87.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Please show me where he mentions "The Empire" in this post :confused:

While at it lets look at that shall we.

State sponsored terrorism.

A minister for state moves funds to a terrorist organisation.

A minister for state gets caught up in gun running for the terrorist organisation.

sounds like state sponsored terrorism to me. Or is it only state sponsored terrorism when it's the big bold Brits :rolleyes:

But these alleged events were not state sanctioned? Did you miss that whole part of this history. There was something called the Arms trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Racist ????
    Would you not think that is an insulting racist stereotype right there????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

I'm amazed at how strong a man the queen's hubby Phil looks at 92. I know he's coming to end of his innings but he certainly doesn't look that age. What a bloke. And indeed the queen herself is looking fit for 87.

They have had the best of care for the past few decades?, not as if Lizzy is struggling to get to the post office every week to collect her pension and pay the electricity bill.

They don't lead normal lives, they lead a life wrapped in cotton wool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

wazky wrote: »
    They have had the best of care for the past few decades?, not as if Lizzy is struggling to get to the post office every week to collect her pension and pay the electricity bill.

:o

Irrespective Phil is a tough looking old buzzard for 92.

Big Davey wrote: »
    Get a life man is this all you have to do with you time.

Welcome to 3 weeks ago :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Irrespective Phil is a tough looking old buzzard for 92.

True, he resembles an oul vulture more every day. ;)

I bet they are eating the finest fillet steak and lobster etc etc not super value sausages and mash every second day because the property tax or some other ridiculous charge is using up your hard earned money.

• Advertisement

Welcome to 3 weeks ago :rolleyes:

I didn't realise there was a time limit ? Is there ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement