Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

dirtyden wrote: »
    But these alleged events were not state sanctioned? Did you miss that whole part of this history. There was something called the Arms trial.

Neither was bloody Sunday but that doesn't stop the republican factions from making the accusation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 Fukuoka Eagle

timthumbni wrote: »
    I'm amazed at how strong a man the queen's hubby Phil looks at 92. I know he's coming to end of his innings but he certainly doesn't look that age. What a bloke. And indeed the queen herself is looking fit for 87.

He's certainly back. Just the other day he joked to a soldier with prosthetic legs that he could fit wheels to them. Brilliant stuff. It helps to break the ice for those who are terrified when they meet his wife. I will miss him when he's gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I'm amazed at how strong a man the queen's hubby Phil looks at 92. I know he's coming to end of his innings but he certainly doesn't look that age. What a bloke. And indeed the queen herself is looking fit for 87.

You have a lot of admiration for those privileged Germans don't you wee fella?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

He's certainly back. Just the other day he joked to a soldier with prosthetic legs that he could fit wheels to them. Brilliant stuff. It helps to break the ice for those who are terrified when they meet his wife. I will miss him when he's gone.

You could probably start a thread on things he has said or was reported to have said. He is certainly an old rascal. I suspect he quite likes the image he gets and plays up to it just for the craic.

I too think the world would be slightly less bright when he's gone. A living legend and rightly so. I know a few ones who are very anti royalists but still love mad Phil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Sure isn't he a Greek though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭dirtyden

bumper234 wrote: »
    Neither was bloody Sunday but that doesn't stop the republican factions from making the accusation.

But you called them state sanctioned in an earlier post to support your argument? Do you agree now that they were not state sanctioned?

Feckin' Greeks and Germans coming over here and making British people worship them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

wazky wrote: »

Phil 'the Greek'.

Sounds like a gangster.

Phil a German??? I think you are wrong sir. I think he may have actually fought them in ww2 though. You should google him for some interesting reading.

Anyway you live in the irish republic. The British royal family has no direct effect on you surely??? Why the hostility?

Anyway you live in the irish republic. The British royal family has no direct effect on you surely??? Why the hostility?

What's British about them bar them actually living there?

• Advertisement

Phil a German??? I think you are wrong sir. I think he may have actually fought them in ww2 though. You should google him for some interesting reading.

Yeah I got that wrong. It's hard to keep track of all the inbreeding.
    Anyway you live in the irish republic.

I live in Ireland. So do you.
    The British royal family has no direct effect on you surely???

They're about as British as you are my fellow Irishman.

Prince Philip is a WWII vet. He deserves our respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Why would he deserve my respect?:confused:

Hitler fought in WWI, is it ok with you if we respect him too?

Yeah I got that wrong. It's hard to keep track of all the inbreeding.

inbreeding? That reminds me of the time I was a party and a south armagh republican type introduced me to his wife and sister. I turned to find only one woman standing there. Lol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

The Greek Royals arent really Greek as such though; King Otto came from Bavaria though was effectively under massive western Protestant influence and did what he could to destroy actual Greek (or maybe it would be better to say Eastern Roman/Rum culture as the "Greeks" regarded themselves until the late 18 th and early 19 th centuries) culture. General Makriyannis's Memoirs really go into this process and are a total master piece of literature.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Why would he deserve my respect?:confused:

I don't think you understand how being a servile dupe works.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

inbreeding? That reminds me of the time I was a party and a south armagh republican type introduced me to his wife and sister. I turned to find only one woman standing there. Lol.
    Hmmm.....subtle as a sledgehammer.

A member of the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg, Prince Philip was born in Greece into the Greek and Danish royal families, but his family was exiled from Greece when he was a child. After being educated in France, England, Germany, and Scotland, he joined the British Royal Navy in 1939, at the age of 18. From July 1939, he began corresponding with the 13-year-old Princess Elizabeth (his third cousin through Queen Victoria and the elder daughter and heiress presumptive of King George VI)

Yup, inbreeding!

• Advertisement

The Greek Royals arent really Greek as such though; King Otto came from Bavaria though was effectively under massive western Protestant influence and did what he could to destroy actual Greek (or maybe it would be better to say Eastern Roman/Rum culture as the "Greeks" regarded themselves until the late 18 th and early 19 th centuries) culture. General Makriyannis's Memoirs really go into this process and are a total master piece of literature.

So he is of a German decent too?, imagine if someone told the EDL and their cronies how multicultural their own monarchy is?

Hitler fought in WWI, is it ok with you if we respect him too?

You can do what you like..... thanks to men like the Duke of Edinburgh and all those other brave men we have just seen marching past the Cenotaph.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Hmmm.....subtle as a sledgehammer.

Its a really ugly Ulster habit to accuse themuns of inbreeding (nationalists do it to sometimes); but I guess there are those who see this costum as culture and therefore should be defended?

You can do what you like..... thanks to men like the Duke of Edinburgh and all those other brave men we have just seen marching past the Cenotaph.

Lol, that's funny, highly inaccurate but funny.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,095 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

LordSutch wrote: »
    How many times do people have to be told. The Poppy is about the commemoration of the war dead, and in many cases the Irish War dead from the Great War and WWII.

The poppy is a sombre and reflective symbol, so there is no glorification (as you put it) to be had in commemorating the senseless sloughter and waste of life. I'm thinking of WWI in particular where so many tens of thousands of Irish men died . . . . . .

That's what it used to be, now it has changed and people just wear it to say look at me.

All you have to do is look at the treatment of James McClean last year for not wearing one on his football top

Don't forget Harry!, he is protecting Western oil freedom from some shepards in the Middle East with his gunship.

Don't forget Harry!, he is protecting Western oil freedom from some shepards in the Middle East with his gunship.

Why are you bringing James Hewitt's son into this?:D

A member of the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg, Prince Philip was born in Greece into the Greek and Danish royal families, but his family was exiled from Greece when he was a child. After being educated in France, England, Germany, and Scotland, he joined the British Royal Navy in 1939, at the age of 18. From July 1939, he began corresponding with the 13-year-old Princess Elizabeth (his third cousin through Queen Victoria and the elder daughter and heiress presumptive of King George VI)

Yup, inbreeding!

They are hardly inbreeding if they are third cousins. Lot's of people have probably married their third cousins without realising it.

Lol, that's funny, highly inaccurate but funny.:D

They are braver than you. If you were called up to fight WWIII you'll try to get out of it by pretending you are 15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Tom Mcgurk had a good suggestion,why not have a green poppy as a compromise for some people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement