Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Its a really ugly Ulster habit to accuse themuns of inbreeding (nationalists do it to sometimes); but I guess there are those who see this costum as culture and therefore should be defended?

Souland I wasn't actually being serious you know. I do not actually think nationalists are prone to inbreeding. It was simply a retort to carlos snidey comment about the royals.

Tbh I'm not an avid royalist though I have no wish to see the monarch done away with either.

I do like Phil though. The old cad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Its a really ugly Ulster habit to accuse themuns of inbreeding (nationalists do it to sometimes); but I guess there are those who see this costum as culture and therefore should be defended?

There's a hint of truth to every stereotype and slur I suppose. Peripheral sections of Europe saw inbreeding. It was a stick the Americans used to beat Irish Immigrants with, the Thomas Nast Ape cartoons etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,116 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

A member of the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg, Prince Philip was born in Greece into the Greek and Danish royal families, but his family was exiled from Greece when he was a child. After being educated in France, England, Germany, and Scotland, he joined the British Royal Navy in 1939, at the age of 18. From July 1939, he began corresponding with the 13-year-old Princess Elizabeth (his third cousin through Queen Victoria and the elder daughter and heiress presumptive of King George VI)

Yup, inbreeding!

I would be more worried about a 19 year old being in contact with a 13 year old

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

There's a hint of truth to every stereotype and slur I suppose. Peripheral sections of Europe saw inbreeding. It was a stick the Americans used to beat Irish Immigrants with, the Thomas Nast Ape cartoons etc.

It was/is though a stick particularly used against the Scotch Irish of Appallacia however; the way sectarians on both sides in Northern Ireland or whatever you want to call it throw it at each other though is something to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

tipptom wrote: »
    Would you not think that is an insulting racist stereotype right there????

What asking a question is now racist OK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

What asking a question is now racist OK
    No,right there was referring to his comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

bumper234 wrote: »
    It's something that you CHOOSE to watch though. If seeing TV presenters and such wearing a poppy bothers you so much then just don't turn those channels on and you won't even notice if they are wearing it or not.

You're like the bleeding heart do gooders who watch a movie KNOWING from the description that It is for adults but still feels the need to pen a long winded letter of complaint as soon as some woman gets a tit out. Stick to watching the bog channels and your poor little eyes won't be offended by the poppy anymore.

I pay for it, I will not be told I cannot comment on it. If I am a sadist that is none of your business.

Channel 4 now in on the act, the little logo up in the corner was wearing a poppy last night, how touching :rolleyes:
    I was watching the Time Team last night and the programme showed them digging out a lost secret weapon in French killing fields, a massive flame thrower thingy, we were treated to oohs and ahs and awe at the capibility of this weapon and we even got the stock quote...'the quality of British engineering' and then we got the horrendous demo in a new machine remade by those 'brilliant, brave, royal engineers yada yada. Basically it sprayed huge jets of burning kerosene and diesel into the opposing trenches from secret underground tunnels. Not a mention was made during the programme of the lethal human damage this obscene invention could do. At the end of the programme we got the almost mumbled info that this piece of machinery was immediately banned because of it's lethal obscenity. Nobody ever got court martialled or tried for war crimes for using it in the first place and the men who invented it where celebrated after and on the programme.
    I couldn't help contrasting it with our Unionist/anti republican poppy wearers inability to forget some of the travesties of our own war.
    What these guys where doing on national television was akin to somebody celebrating the wizardry and invention of 'human bombs' as used by the IRA. Exact same thing imo, both equally distasteful and obscene.

But the Channel 4 logo was wearing the little red poppy, so s'alright then. :rolleyes:

No,right there was referring to his comment.

So disliking a Celtic supporting RA supporter is racist ok
    I really think this whole thread is a joke personally I don't wear a poppy but it has to do with Haig etc not recent events.
    I will pay my respects to all the fallen not just one section the reason being war is folly

So disliking a Celtic supporting RA supporter is racist ok
    I really think this whole thread is a joke personally I don't wear a poppy but it has to do with Haig etc not recent events.
    I will pay my respects to all the fallen not just one section the reason being war is folly
    I presume that your "my respects" will include the fallen IRA men killed in the WAR of Independence in defence of small nations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

That's what it used to be, now it has changed and people just wear it to say look at me.

Some people maybe, (specially in the British media spotlight), but please dont dismiss and forget all the genuine wearers who are remembering today/tomorrow.
    All you have to do is look at the treatment of James McClean last year for not wearing one on his football top

That's called poppy fascism, which is not to be condoned.

• Advertisement

I presume that your "my respects" will include the fallen IRA men killed in the WAR of Independence in defence of small nations.

Yes is the simple answer
    Right are we talking about the WAR when the GPO was taken over or are we talking about the WAR that was only a war when it suited the Provos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

You have a lot of admiration for those privileged Germans don't you wee fella?

Queen Elizabeth born Mayfair London.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_II

The Queen mother

full name Elizabeth Angela Marguerite Bowes-Lyon

Born London August 4th 1900

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Elizabeth_The_Queen_Mother

Queens Father George VI Born 14 December 1895York Cottage, Sandringham House, Norfolk, United Kingdom

His Father George V born 3 June 1865Marlborough House, London

His father Edward VII born 9 November 1841Buckingham Palace, London, United Kingdom

His Mother Queen Victoria born 24 May 1819Kensington Palace, London

Her Father Prince Edward born 2 November 1767Buckingham House, London, England

His Father George the third born 4 June 1738 [N.S.][1]Norfolk House, St. James's Square, London

His Father Frederick Prince of Wales born 1 February 1707 (New Style)Hanover, Germany

There we go I only had to go back 307 years to find some German blood. The Queen was born in England so I can't see why anyone would call her German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

the way sectarians on both sides in Northern Ireland or whatever you want to call it throw it at each other though is something to be seen.

I never heard a bad word said about Protestants in the home I grew up in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Tom Mcgurk had a good suggestion,why not have a green poppy as a compromise for some people.

Theye've been talking about a green Irish poppy for decades, but nothing has ever come of it!

Yes is the simple answer
    Right are we talking about the WAR when the GPO was taken over or are we talking about the WAR that was only a war when it suited the Provos
    No,the war of independence.Thats fair enough,I for one don't want to get in to that other stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_II

The Queen mother

full name Elizabeth Angela Marguerite Bowes-Lyon

Born London August 4th 1900

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Elizabeth_The_Queen_Mother

Queens Father George VI Born 14 December 1895York Cottage, Sandringham House, Norfolk, United Kingdom

His Father George V born 3 June 1865Marlborough House, London

His father Edward VII born 9 November 1841Buckingham Palace, London, United Kingdom

His Mother Queen Victoria born 24 May 1819Kensington Palace, London

Her Father Prince Edward born 2 November 1767Buckingham House, London, England

His Father George the third born 4 June 1738 [N.S.][1]Norfolk House, St. James's Square, London

His Father Frederick Prince of Wales born 1 February 1707 (New Style)Hanover, Germany

There we go I only had to go back 307 years to find some German blood. The Queen was born in England so I can't see why anyone would call her German.

Only because you very conveniently left out Edward V11 father Albert.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Only because you very conveniently left out Edward V11 father Albert.:P

Is that the Albert that had a piercing on his magnadoodle?

The House of Windsor is the royal house of the United Kingdom and the other Commonwealth realms. It was founded by King George V by royal proclamation on 17 July 1917, when he changed the name of his family from the German Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (a branch of the House of Wettin) to the English Windsor, due to the anti-German sentiment in the British Empire during World War I.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Windsor

Deutschland Deutschland über alles..

I never heard a bad word said about Protestants in the home I grew up in.

Funny that, I never heard a bad word about the British Army in the home I grew up in.

Deutschland Deutschland über alles..

That didn't answer my question (surprise surprise) so I will ask again. Queen Elizabeth was born in London so how is she a "German"?

• Advertisement

Bumper, you've posted over three hundred times in this thread. Have you still not learned that some of us don't buy into the whole poppy thing?

Bumper, you've posted over three hundred times in this thread. Have you still not learned that some of us don't buy into the whole poppy thing?

And you feel the need to constantly reply to me....your point is? I don't care if you're "into the poppy thing" or not I can debate all I like and if you don't like that then feel free to not post :confused:

And you feel the need to constantly reply to me....your point is? I don't care if you're "into the poppy thing" or not I can debate all I like and if you don't like that then feel free to not post :confused:

You quoted me. Honestly, if the same bullshit surrounded the Lilly at Easter I wouldn't be on here defending it like you and your crew are.

You quoted me. Honestly, if the same bullshit surrounded the Lilly at Easter I wouldn't be on here defending it like you and your crew are.

Bazzinga ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭IrishProd

Debate is a method of interactive and representational argument. Debate is a broader form of argument than deductive reasoning, which only examines whether a conclusion is a consequence of premises, and factual argument, which only examines what is or isn't the case, or rhetoric, which is a technique of persuasion.

Though logical consistency, factual accuracy and some degree of emotional appeal to the audience are important elements of the art of persuasion, in debating, one side often prevails over the other side by presenting a superior "context" and/or framework of the issue, which is far more subtle and strategic

If any of your posts met the above criteria, then yes, you could call it debating, unfortunately for you....none of them do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

That didn't answer my question (surprise surprise) so I will ask again. Queen Elizabeth was born in London so how is she a "German"?

Loads of Armenians are born In Iran, Lebanon, Turkey, Cyprus, Italy the USA etc

In fact there are more Armenians outside of Armenia than in Armenia how come they are Armenians?

Dont get me started on the Kurds.

Is an Ulster Unionist British ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Well going by previous logic here, if your born in Ireland you are Irish regardless of heritage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Starting to believe bumper works for NSA!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

• Advertisement

Loads of Armenians are born In Iran, Lebanon, Turkey, Cyprus, Italy the USA etc

In fact there are more Armenians outside of Armenia than in Armenia how come they are Armenians?

Dont get me started on the Kurds.

I was born in Britain but have spent 2/3 of my life living I Ireland....I am still British.

If Nigerian immigrants have a child born in in Ireland are you saying that the child is still Nigerian?

My friends are Chinese they were both born in Beijing and have lived in Ireland for 9 years. He has Irish citizenship she does not (yet) they have a 3 year old boy born in Hollis street maternity hospital in Dublin, are you trying to tell me that their son is Chinese? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement