Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Starting to believe bumper works for NSA!

IAA actually but one letter out of 3 isn't bad though ;)

IrishProd wrote: »

If any of your posts met the above criteria, then yes, you could call it debating, unfortunately for you....none of them do.

Unlike the quality that you have posted :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

dirtyden wrote: »
    So 800 years of murder, pillage, famine and apartheid..........

I really wish people would fúck off with this tiresome whinging shít.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Lapin wrote: »

Do you say the same thing when Jews mention the Holocaust?

Native Americans bring up the extermination of their ancestors?

The 800 years thing is over-used but its not fiction is it?

Every Irish person I know looks remarkably healthy seeing as they are suffering from murder, pillage, famine and apartheid..........

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

bumper234 wrote: »
    Every Irish person I know looks remarkably healthy seeing as they are suffering from murder, pillage, famine and apartheid..........

Well luckily we managed to escape the grasp of your murderous, disgusting empire and have been doing alright since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

We will when the British state stop inflicting it on others.
    I see it as my duty to do it, in remembrance of all those who have suffered and continue to suffer from it.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Well luckily we managed to escape the grasp of your murderous, disgusting empire and have been doing alright since.

Yeah now you just doff your caps to Germany and ask them how much you are allowed to spend this year. Well done son well done ;)

Happyman42 wrote: »
    We will when the British state stop inflicting it on others.
    I see it as my duty to do it, in remembrance of all those who have suffered and continue to suffer from it.

What about all of the people who have and continue to suffer because of the Irish?

What about all of the people who have and continue to suffer because of the Irish?

:rolleyes:

I can't do anything about Jedward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭dirtyden

That is selecting a quote out of context. It was a reply to someone suggesting that the irish state supported terrorism. They were comparing the arms trial to the british empires actions here. It was adding context to what I considered the absurdity of that statement. what is the context of your post or is it just a tiresome whinge?

It is also a very contradictory statement to make in a thread about the poppy. Sure why don't the British quit their tiresome moaning about their war dead then, and just forget about them and get on with it?

Yeah now you just doff your caps to Germany and ask them how much you are allowed to spend this year. Well done son well done ;)

At least they don't take our crops and livestock while half our population dies or is forced to leave the country.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

And you wonder why Irish people are reluctant to have anything to do with poppys with remarks like that.

You should go back to England,strip of and cover yourself in poppies,rename yourself Staines so you appear to be more British than the British themselves and run up and down Staines high st,telling everybody how you love your army better than anyone else no matter how many they have murdered in the name of the Empire.

At least they don't take our crops and livestock while half our population dies or is forced to leave the country.

;)

Its early days yet though.

What the **** are you dribbling about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

While we're on the subject of ridiculous generalisations how does it feel to be America's bitch for the British?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

And who would that be? :confused:

;)

No cos then they would have to sell it. Now they just take the cash instead. Maybe not half the country but plenty have committed suicide over debt worries and many many many more have emigrated (1000 a week at one stage) ;)

And who would that be? :confused:

How about the innocent people who were kidnapped from their homes and taken to other countries to be tortured before being sent to prison for ten years without trial. None of this could have happened without the Irish government consent to let these "extraordinary rendition" flights refuel at Shannon. I don't hear any of you harping on about these war crimes that your government has eagerly participated in.

I don't hear any of you harping on about these war crimes that your government has eagerly participated in.

As usual, you aren't researching your contentions. This thread isn't about that subject.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Please show me where he mentions "The Empire" in this post :confused:

'state sponsored terrorism'. Other phrases he could have used to refer to the Empire would be 'one of historys great unpunished crimes','trans global thuggery', 'international crime' etc and so on.

As usual, you aren't researching your contentions. This thread isn't about that subject.

When has that ever diminished bumper in his crusade though?

How about the innocent people who were kidnapped from their homes and taken to other countries to be tortured before being sent to prison for ten years without trial. None of this could have happened without the Irish government consent to let these "extraordinary rendition" flights refuel at Shannon. I don't hear any of you harping on about these war crimes that your government has eagerly participated in.

Damn, that is terrible. Do you have some evidence for this. So none of the renditions flights would have occurred if not for Ireland? Would this be the war against terror that your brave heroes (that you are celebrating today) and her great ally America are fighting? And it was Ireland all along. Why are these rendition fights going through Ireland anyhow? Are we on a flight path between the middle east and Egypt/Turkey, or one of America/Britains other allies where this alleged torture is occurring? I know we have allowed American planes refuel here but it is a bit of a stretch to suggest that we are a mandatory stopover for all rendition flights.

It's not about so called British "war crimes" from hundreds of years ago either but you seem to enjoy bringing the subject up.

Nodin wrote: »
    'state sponsored terrorism'. Other phrases he could have used to refer to the Empire would be 'one of historys great unpunished crimes','trans global thuggery', 'international crime' etc and so on.

Ah so we are all supposed to see hidden meaning in sentences like you do. Do you also see aliens in the sky and dead people around you :rolleyes:

It's not about so called British "war crimes" from hundreds of years ago either but you seem to enjoy bringing the subject up.

The poppy represents the BA from WWI so its more about recent war crimes.

Any discussion of 'the poppy' will invariably discuss the history of the British Army, or did you only want to discuss the nice bits?

dirtyden wrote: »
    Damn, that is terrible. Do you have some evidence for this. So none of the renditions flights would have occurred if not for Ireland? Would this be the war against terror that your brave heroes (that you are celebrating today) and her great ally America are fighting? And it was Ireland all along. Why are these rendition fights going through Ireland anyhow? Are we on a flight path between the middle east and Egypt/Turkey, or one of America/Britains other allies where this alleged torture is occurring? I know we have allowed American planes refuel here but it is a bit of a stretch to suggest that we are a mandatory stopover for all rendition flights.

Ireland, and Shannon Airport in particular, was used as a stopover for CIA operations known as extraordinary renditions.  

As far back as 2002, Ireland has been concerned that it would be in breach of its obligations under international law if it was found to be used as a stopover on rendition circuits.  However, the State chose to rely on discredited US assurances instead of fulfilling its obligation to ensure Irish territory and airspace was not used for the illegal transfer of prisoners.  The Irish authorities still cannot proactively identify foreign aircraft engaging in illegal activity.  In October 2008 the Government set up a Cabinet sub-committee to review the law on searching planes at Shannon but it has never issued any findings or reports. 

http://www.amnesty.ie/content/rendition-flights

HUMAN rights groups have called on the Government to introduce measures to ensure Ireland can no longer be used for illegal rendition flights, after fresh evidence emerged that US authorities operated such missions through Shannon Airport over the past decade.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/politics/anger-at-rendition-flights-through-shannon-166249.html

SHANNON AIRPORT WAS among the locations used by a hidden network of US companies which organised the so-called ‘rendition flights’ – the covert airlift that transported terrorism suspects and their American minders to secret sites worldwide.

http://www.thejournal.ie/us-rendition-flight-aircraft-flew-to-shannon-airport-215372-Sep2011/

wazky wrote: »
    The poppy represents the BA from WWI so its more about recent war crimes.

And yet we shouldn't mention the war crimes being committed by the Irish government even more recently ;)

• Advertisement

Ireland, and Shannon Airport in particular, was used as a stopover for CIA operations known as extraordinary renditions.

As far back as 2002, Ireland has been concerned that it would be in breach of its obligations under international law if it was found to be used as a stopover on rendition circuits. However, the State chose to rely on discredited US assurances instead of fulfilling its obligation to ensure Irish territory and airspace was not used for the illegal transfer of prisoners. The Irish authorities still cannot proactively identify foreign aircraft engaging in illegal activity. In October 2008 the Government set up a Cabinet sub-committee to review the law on searching planes at Shannon but it has never issued any findings or reports.

http://www.amnesty.ie/content/rendition-flights

HUMAN rights groups have called on the Government to introduce measures to ensure Ireland can no longer be used for illegal rendition flights, after fresh evidence emerged that US authorities operated such missions through Shannon Airport over the past decade.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/politics/anger-at-rendition-flights-through-shannon-166249.html

SHANNON AIRPORT WAS among the locations used by a hidden network of US companies which organised the so-called ‘rendition flights’ – the covert airlift that transported terrorism suspects and their American minders to secret sites worldwide.

http://www.thejournal.ie/us-rendition-flight-aircraft-flew-to-shannon-airport-215372-Sep2011/[/QUOTE]

So what you are saying is that Ireland insist that you and your allies don't use our sovereign state to facilitate your tortures but you may be clandestinely doing it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement