Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Any discussion of 'the poppy' will invariably discuss the history of the British Army, or did you only want to discuss the nice bits?

No I am just following the theme of the thread.

You bad mouth the British Army.

I point out that the Irish have done MANY terrible things too.

You shout RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE this is not about the Irish HARRUMPH and scream unfair.

Rinse and repeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

bumper234 wrote: »

We don't have to, they do a good enough job of that themselves.

dirtyden wrote: »
    Ireland, and Shannon Airport in particular, was used as a stopover for CIA operations known as extraordinary renditions.

As far back as 2002, Ireland has been concerned that it would be in breach of its obligations under international law if it was found to be used as a stopover on rendition circuits. However, the State chose to rely on discredited US assurances instead of fulfilling its obligation to ensure Irish territory and airspace was not used for the illegal transfer of prisoners. The Irish authorities still cannot proactively identify foreign aircraft engaging in illegal activity. In October 2008 the Government set up a Cabinet sub-committee to review the law on searching planes at Shannon but it has never issued any findings or reports.

http://www.amnesty.ie/content/rendition-flights

HUMAN rights groups have called on the Government to introduce measures to ensure Ireland can no longer be used for illegal rendition flights, after fresh evidence emerged that US authorities operated such missions through Shannon Airport over the past decade.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/politics/anger-at-rendition-flights-through-shannon-166249.html

SHANNON AIRPORT WAS among the locations used by a hidden network of US companies which organised the so-called ‘rendition flights’ – the covert airlift that transported terrorism suspects and their American minders to secret sites worldwide.

http://www.thejournal.ie/us-rendition-flight-aircraft-flew-to-shannon-airport-215372-Sep2011/[/QUOTE]

So what you are saying is that Ireland insist that you and your allies don't use our sovereign state to facilitate your tortures but you may be clandestinely doing it?

Lol.he thinks that the Irish governments didn't know what was happening when these AMERICAN planes landed at Shannon, and then you wonder why the poor thick Irishman jokes are still alive and well :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

No I am just following the theme of the thread.

I point out that the Irish have done MANY terrible things too.

You shout RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE this is not about the Irish HARRUMPH and scream unfair.

Rinse and repeat.

When you calm down please remember, this is not a thread about the Irish army or government. It is about the poppy and the wearing of it, which the Irish army don't do and don't expect anybody to do for them.

bumper234; wrote: »

Lol.he thinks that the Irish governments didn't know what was happening when these AMERICAN planes landed at Shannon, and then you wonder why the poor thick Irishman jokes are still alive and well :rolleyes:

With comments like that its a wonder how the stereotype of the "arrogant english" is still around.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Well that's it now for another year. I hope that everyone who wanted to be offended were offended to the necessary degree that will fester their resentment until next year. At least they will have the marching season to look forward

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It's not about so called British "war crimes" from hundreds of years ago either but you seem to enjoy bringing the subject up.

Bloody Sunday wasn't hundreds of years ago.

When you calm down please remember, this is not a thread about the Irish army or government. It is about the poppy and the wearing of it, which the Irish army don't do and don't expect anybody to do for them.

When did someone "expect" you to wear a poppy? You know it's not compulsory right?

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Well that's it now for another year. I hope that everyone who wanted to be offended were offended to the necessary degree that will fester their resentment until next year. At least they will have the marching season to look forward

Roll on the Easter lily and the supporting terrorists thread :D

Bloody Sunday wasn't hundreds of years ago.

This thread is not about bloody Sunday rabble rabble rabble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭dirtyden

dirtyden wrote: »

You are embarrassing yourself now. Id take a break. If your best response is to resort to ethnic slurs when none of your frankly absurd arguments stand up it is time to slow down.

You have provided some links with hearsay and speculation that there may have been some renditions flights routed through Ireland. Do you know how many of your allies military flights passed through Shannon during your war on terror? I don't but it was a lot. there is obviously a chance that someone could have been smuggled in the hold of a plane through Shannon but the irish government did not support this, you said in an earlier post that we did. It was done against our wishes.

When I pointed out how absurd your statement that the irish state supported gun smuggling during the arms crisis when in fact those involved were taken to court, acquitted but subsequently sacked, you never replied and I wont expect one now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

How about the innocent people who were kidnapped from their homes and taken to other countries to be tortured before being sent to prison for ten years without trial. None of this could have happened without the Irish government consent to let these "extraordinary rendition" flights refuel at Shannon. I don't hear any of you harping on about these war crimes that your government has eagerly participated in.

No, sure why would we do that?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69334480&postcount=24

And lets say that those being renditioned were in fact clipped and the remains fed to a pig farm in the vicinity - whats that to do with anything?

It's not about so called British "war crimes" from hundreds of years ago either but you seem to enjoy bringing the subject up.

"hundreds of years ago" my bollix. The last bit of post-Imperial hubris was 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

This thread is not about bloody Sunday rabble rabble rabble

Really?

Whats the odds that some of the soldiers who shot innocent Nationalists that day were "proudly" wearing the poppy this week?

When did someone "expect" you to wear a poppy? You know it's not compulsory right?

I told you before, at a remembrance ceremony in Dublin. The 'expectation' that all people who appear on public platforms in the UK is also growing, regardless of their personal views.
    This is what we are discussing....not the Irish army & government.

Anybody got any more info on this breaking news?

http://inagist.com/all/399542800720879616/

I told you before, at a remembrance ceremony in Dublin. The 'expectation' that all people who appear on public platforms in the UK is also growing, regardless of their personal views.
    This is what we are discussing....not the Irish army & government.

The Mrs had strictly come dancing on last night....guess what I noticed? No one wore a poppy....not the dancers...not the judges not even old Brucie the presenter. So much for expecting people who appear on public platforms to wear them. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The Mrs had strictly come dancing on last night....guess what I noticed? No one wore a poppy....not the dancers...not the judges not even old Brucie the presenter. So much for expecting people who appear on public platforms to wear them. :rolleyes:
    Errm, a) yes they did, every one of them, and b) Brucie wasn't even on last night, replaced temporarily by Claudia Winkelmann. You must have been watching an old recorded episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Must have been last weeks you watched because yes some did have poppies on but more interesting was Brucie didn't present last nights show

Must have been last weeks you watched because yes some did have poppies on but more interesting was Brucie didn't present last nights show

Presumably as a WW1 vet he was needed elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    Errm, a) yes they did, every one of them, and b) Brucie wasn't even on last night, replaced temporarily by Claudia Winkelmann. You must have been watching an old recorded episode.

Oh really?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/strictly-come-dancing-blasted-viewers-2715727

The BBC faced a barrage of criticism as celebrities, dancers, judges and presenters all failed to wear one - unlike X Factor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Ouch, that was painful !:D

No reportage on it at the mo, but he didn't play for them today. Could be a rumour. Could be the British sense of fair play. Hard to tell yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

You must have been watching an old recorded episode.

of Pathé News

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Is he going have to defend his actions every year.

The club can drop him all they like - they knew what they were getting before they got him, but I doubt they'll be able to fine him.

Ouch, that was painful !:D

Yup twas last weeks one she had recorded to watch before watching this weeks one. Ah well I admit when am wrong and there i was ROYALLY wrong :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Oh really?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/strictly-come-dancing-blasted-viewers-2715727

The BBC faced a barrage of criticism as celebrities, dancers, judges and presenters all failed to wear one - unlike X Factor
    That was LAST WEEK. The Halloween theme is a bit of a giveaway.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Is he going have to defend his actions every year.

The club can drop him all they like - they knew what they were getting before they got him, but I doubt they'll be able to fine him.

Fair play to him for standing by his decision though.

Fair play to him for standing by his decision though.

Pity clubs can't respect his decision not to wear it though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

Yup twas last weeks one she had recorded to watch before watching this weeks one.

Would one find many books in your house??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement