Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Auto correct the Whistle Blower you mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Auto correct the Whistle Blower you mean.

?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,153 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Is there a problem with that?

Well since you and others have been saying the poppy is for the World Wars when its not you can see why people dont like it for the role the British Army played on this Island

bumper234 wrote: »
    ?

Why would auto correct change a perfectly legitimate word?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

oldyouth wrote: »
    I've no problem if anyone wants to wear a poppy. It's origins reflect a time when gormless military leaders sent their troops in to battle, facing certain death like fodder. Many Irish men lost their lives in WW1 and WW2, side by side in the trenches with their British friends and comrades. Those men should be remembered and honoured for their sacrifice. The tactics used by both sides should also be remembered for the carnage that ensued

Where I do have a problem is that the current British military appear to have adopted the poppy as a symbol of participation in all their recent conflicts, many of which were (IMO) unjustified. Nowadays there is a lot of pomp and ceremony, even concerts, associated with this Sunday and it is forming part of the military identity. It's being used as a display of nationalism and I'm sure it results in a spike in people enlisting.

Surely the day should be remembered in more solemn manner

Good post and very apt. We must learn to seperate the media circus surrouning "British Media Poppy appeal", and grass roots remembrance, which is a very solemn and dignified commemoration, which I witnessed at first hand this morning as I do every year, in my local south Dublin Church.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

I hope that people dont consider Bumper the average English person.

Among those who are causing the problem with the poppy, I'd imagine he/she to be fairly average tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

LordSutch wrote: »
    Good post and very apt. We must learn to seperate the media circus surrouning "British Media Poppy appeal", and grass roots remembrance, which is a very solemn and dignified commemoration, which I witnessed at first hand this morning as I do every year, in my local south Dublin Church.
    Religion and politics shouldn't mix either.

Why would auto correct change a perfectly legitimate word?

I am on my phone it uses predictive text and I thought it had added pal but it didn't it added pat. Why does it matter anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭dirtyden

I am on my phone it uses predictive text and I thought it had added pal but it didn't it added pat. Why does it matter anyway?

Was your thick Irishman comment earlier a typo too?

• Advertisement

What is your picture of the average English person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

You decided to capitalise 'pal'.

Na. Not buying it.

Among those who are causing the problem with the poppy, I'd imagine he/she to be fairly average tbh

What "problem" am I causing? The only people who seem to have a problem are a tiny minority who insist on living in the past and whose hatred for anything British masks their ability to see that the world has moved on without them.

dirtyden wrote: »
    Was your thick Irishman comment earlier a typo too?

No that was sarcasm......obviously lost on you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mod

Lowest form of wit they say.

bumper234 banned for, take your pick of the posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Well since you and others have been saying the poppy is for the World Wars when its not you can see why people dont like it for the role the British Army played on this Island

I've never said that. Remembrance day in the UK has its origins in WWI, but is there to remember all British service personnel who gave their lives.

Everyone has the right to mourn the dead, don't they?

Nodin wrote: »
    ...fairly sure he didn't slag off the hobnob.

Don't give him ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭dirtyden

I've never said that. Remembrance day in the UK has its origins in WWI, but is there to remember all British service personnel who gave their lives.

Everyone has the right to mourn the dead, don't they?

That is indeed anyone's right and I am sure if I was British I would have a completely different view of the poppy. I would not pass comment on anyone wearing one but id not wear one myself.

To be fair I worked in the UK this time last year and whilst most people wear them I never felt obliged too and my lack of a poppy was never questioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Nodin wrote: »
    ...fairly sure he didn't slag off the hobnob.
    Don't give him ideas.

Ah yes, but, but....!

McVitie's make HobNobs - and they provided the wedding cakes for George V and Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip, and they also did one for William and Kate.

They also made iron ration biscuits during the First World War.

(I appreciate that this is probably not the most relevant contribution to this thread about poppies, but it sure as hell isn't the least..:))

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Ah yes, but, but....!

McVitie's make HobNobs - and they provided the wedding cakes for George V and Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip, and they also did one for William and Kate.

They also made iron ration biscuits during the First World War.

(I appreciate that this is probably not the most relevant contribution to this thread about poppies, but it sure as hell isn't the least..:))

the chocolate ones are the nicest imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Really?

Whats the odds that some of the soldiers who shot innocent Nationalists that day were "proudly" wearing the poppy this week?

Still not a thread about Bloody sunday. Anyone is allowed to wear the poppy regardless of their history.

This thread would have more of a meaning if it was on a British based forum , seeing that its an Irish one its pretty meaningless to be honest and only done to stir up the annual Brit bashing at this time of year.
    The countdown is on to the " Will you wear a poppy 2014?" Thread.

The only people in this country that support it is either British residents or people who's lost father's or Grandfather's in past wars, there is no other reason for anyone else to wear one or support it. Its like asking someone down the pub if they would support England in the world cup, the answer would more than likely be "I will in my arse support them " followed by roughly whats been posted on here as to why they wont support them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I actually find quite a few Irish people who follow England in the football and will do this Summer in Ireland's absence. And for a reason which makes sense - they see the players every single week in the Premier League anyway.

I can understand why a minority of Irish person would follow England in the football if they're not competing with Ireland - in the same way that I and a huge number of English supporters followed Ireland in 1994.

This is different though. I wouldn't expect any Irish people to openly support the Poppy Appeal or any other remembrance of any other foreign army and, to be fair, having read the bulk of this thread and its counterparts from recent years I've not read many people suggesting that they should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I actually find quite a few Irish people who follow England in the football and will do this Summer in Ireland's absence. And for a reason which makes sense - they see the players every single week in the Premier League anyway.

I can understand why a minority of Irish person would follow England in the football if they're not competing with Ireland - in the same way that I and a huge number of English supporters followed Ireland in 1994.

This is different though. I wouldn't expect any Irish people to openly support the Poppy Appeal or any other remembrance of any other foreign army and, to be fair, having read the bulk of this thread and its counterparts from recent years I've not read many people suggesting that they should.

What ever about the wearing the poppy, and I have already posted my opinion on this,I would hazard a big guess and think there would be less Irish people supporting the England football team than there ever would be wearing the poppy, ??? Am I right :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

realies wrote: »
    What ever about the wearing the poppy, and I have already posted my opinion on this,I would hazard a big guess and think there would be less Irish people supporting the England football team than there ever would be wearing the poppy, ??? Am I right :P
    No I don't think so. I have no problem supporting the English team (and on a wider scale British athletes from lots of other disciplines) but wouldn't wear a poppy. I remember being genuinely gutted when they went out to Germany in the semi-final of Euro '96.

What "problem" am I causing? The only people who seem to have a problem are a tiny minority who insist on living in the past and whose hatred for anything British masks their ability to see that the world has moved on without them.

I know bumper234 has left us but, I think the growing problem in Britain is that people with an easily scratched jingoism like him/her have hijacked the poppy to a large degree. The RBL seem to have gone down the road a good bit with them too. They have allowed what was a quiet and dignified expression of remembrance to become a cheap and tawdry expression of false British pride. I am not sure if they will be able to put that cat back in the bag tbh. The promotion of the 'worship of the soldier' is a subtle PR stunt to gain support for what Britain is at in the world now, the whole poppy fascism thing is underpinning it and huge unthinking amounts of people (like bumper234) have bought into it.

I know bumper234 has left us but, I think the growing problem in Britain is that people with an easily scratched jingoism like him/her have hijacked the poppy to a large degree. The RBL seem to have gone down the road a good bit with them too. They have allowed what was a quiet and dignified expression of remembrance to become a cheap and tawdry expression of false British pride. I am not sure if they will be able to put that cat back in the bag tbh. The promotion of the 'worship of the soldier' is a subtle PR stunt to gain support for what Britain is at in the world now, the whole poppy fascism thing is underpinning it and huge unthinking amounts of people (like bumper234) have bought into it.

What's the weather like up there on your high horse?

What's the weather like up there on your high horse?

I should have added that there is a lesson to be learned for the RBL if they looked at what happened when Ulster Unionism allowed the drumbeaters, flagwavers, yobs and thugs to have the limelight and bludgeon their way onto the stage. Those who broach no other opinion but their own.
    The world isn't stupid but it will make it's mind up based on what it sees, not what it is told to see.

I should have added that there is a lesson to be learned for the RBL if they looked at what happened when Ulster Unionism allowed the drumbeaters, flagwavers, yobs and thugs to have the limelight and bludgeon their way onto the stage. Those who broach no other opinion but their own.
    The world isn't stupid but it will make it's mind up based on what it sees, not what it is told to see.

Sounds to me like you are making up stuff based on nothing more than your own prejudices to be honest.

Sounds to me like you are making up stuff based on nothing more than your own prejudices to be honest.

Such as?

At least I am in good company, Robert Fisk, Paxman, one of the last remaining soldiers whose colleagues everyone says they are respectfully remembering etc etc.

Even though you have acknowledged poppy fascism gives you qualms you still resist analysis. Curious, if it was anybody else, but fairly predictable from you.

• Advertisement

Such as?

At least I am in good company, Robert Fisk, Paxman, one of the last remaining soldiers whose colleagues everyone says they are respectfully remembering etc etc.

Even though you have acknowledged poppy fascism gives you qualms you still resist analysis. Curious, if it was anybody else, but fairly predictable from you.

But you haven't done any analysis. You've read two articles and then started giving your own prejudiced opinion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement