Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

PLUG71 wrote: »
    So anybody with a opinion other than yours is a "stooping idiot"?

No. I said any Irish person who goes out of their way to sanitise the actions of a force that 1) has an abysmal record in their own country and 2) was the spearhead of British imperialism, can be considered an idiot.

Bumper,
    As for help the heroes it is a charity I am proud to do a lot of work for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxi5kxzx3V0

"And then a hero comes along" is it?

Utter b*llocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

FTA69 wrote: »
    No. I said any Irish person who goes out of their way to sanitise the actions of a force that 1) has an abysmal record in their own country and 2) was the spearhead of British imperialism, can be considered an idiot.

Bumper,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxi5kxzx3V0

"And then a hero comes along" is it?

Utter b*llocks.

Yeah you're right maybe I should buy an Easter lily instead for all those brave IRA volunteers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Oh God. Atrocity top trumps. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Oh God. Atrocity top trumps. :(

Genuinely made me lol

Yeah sorry I'll back away, was always told not to get into it with zealots anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭An Coilean

COYW wrote: »
    Personally, I look upon the poppy as a token of our respect for all those who have served in conflicts past and present. When I look at one, it reminds me of all those wonderful soldiers who are on duty at the moment around the world. I feel a hell of a lot safer knowing they are out there defending us.

Defending who from what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

If I was at home I would give serious consideration to walking around with a tricolour poppy in an attempt to annoy as many flag and emblem obsessed people as possible, maybe even set it off with a nice union jack coloured Easter lilly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

bumper234 wrote: »
    Yeah you're right maybe I should buy an Easter lily instead for all those brave IRA volunteers.

actually, if Gordon Wilson had a favourite flower, I'd wear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭tiger55

uch wrote: »
    Terrorists symbol, definitely not

Do you even know the history of the poppy?

An Coilean wrote: »
    Defending who from what?

*Zing*

You've got to question the sanity of anyone who seriously believes that starting conflicts in far flung places is defending the folks back home.

Nodin wrote: »

Are you saying the Empire wasn't a racist enterprise?

Every country in the world has fought with others internally and externally.

Get that chip off your shoulder, we are in the 21st century.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

*Zing*

You've got to question the sanity of anyone who seriously believes that starting conflicts in far flung places is defending the folks back home.

You missed the whole Nazi Germany invading most of Europe, gassing Jews, Romas etc.

Still, they helped Sean Russell out so they must be a great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why does this come up every year?

The issue is quite simple.

The Poppy/Remembrance Sunday thing is a British occasion, and it is also marked by some Commonwealth countries such as Canada and Australia.

Ireland is no different to countries such as France, Germany, USA,Netherlands, Belgium, Poland etc that do not mark this occasion and remember their war dead in their own way.

There is no outcry or controversy about other countries not wearing poppies so why should there be here?

I am reasonably sure that no incarnation of the IRA fought to build white dominated colonies in countries with nice climates, and that 1916 rising was not over the right to sell opium to the Chinese.

The British did NOT sell the opium to the Chinese, they were used bribed/tricked into acting a drug enforcers.

Just look up:

Hong Kong and The Sassoon Opium Wars

You missed the whole Nazi Germany invading most of Europe, gassing Jews, Romas etc.

You'll note I said 'starting conflicts' and funny enough it even applies to Nazi Germany.

1 million innocent people dead in Iraq, and the country in a state of civil war.

Aye that invasion by Britain and the USA was well worth it.

Will definitely have to get a poppy to remember their brave fighting, which was dropping bombs indescrimently into civilian neighborhoods.

Such heroes.

Wearing of the poppy started as it was the 1st thing to grow in the horrors of the aftermath of the Somme in 1917.

You'll note I said 'starting conflicts' and funny enough it even applies to Nazi Germany.

Britain did start the war, in a far flung country.

In the meantime, the IRA colluded with the Nazis, especially Sean Russell, who memorial is funded by the proceeds of the Easter Lilly.

I think you missed the post I was replying to in which COYW said:

''When I look at one, it reminds me of all those wonderful soldiers who are on duty at the moment around the world. I feel a hell of a lot safer knowing they are out there defending us.''

Now, I asume he is refering to 'wonderfull' British soldiers, to which I asked the question, who are they supposed to be defending us from?
    Can't really see how this has anything to do with Nazi Germany?

Charlie made the point that starting wars in other countries does not make us or indeed anyone else safer, nor did Nazi Germany invading Poland make Germany safer.

I think you missed the post I was replying to in which COYW said:

''When I look at one, it reminds me of all those wonderful soldiers who are on duty at the moment around the world. I feel a hell of a lot safer knowing they are out there defending us.''

Now, I asume he is refering to 'wonderfull' British soldiers, to which i asked the question, who are they supposed to be defending us from?
    Can't really see how this has anything to do with Nazi Germany?

Ok then, the Taliban provided training camps for Al Qeada and I think we can all agree, they are a pretty nasty bunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Worst Halloween costume ever.

In the meantime, the IRA colluded with the Nazis, especially Sean Russell, who memorial is funded by the proceeds of the Easter Lilly.

A lot of people colluded with the Nazis and for much worse rea$on$.

Now if he'd been trying to help Nazis escape after WWII you might have a genuine gripe but that's not the case.

• Advertisement

A lot of people colluded with the Nazis and for much worse reas$on$.

Now if he'd been trying to help Nazis escape after WWII you might have a genuine gripe but that's not the case.

Well, I'm not Irish, but I would consider colluding with Nazi Germany and discussing a possible invasion of Ireland pretty horrendous to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Britain did start the war, in a far flung country.

'But what about the Belgians....'

Why do you feel the need to cover for past crimes of others Fred?

Ok then, the Taliban provided training camps for Al Qeada and I think we can all agree, they are a pretty nasty bunch.

We can, but invading Afganistan was never going to persuade them that maybe the West is not so bad after all and that attacking people in the West is not really a productive use of their time.

The wack a mole approch to international security is not really all that effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

tiger55 wrote: »
    The British did NOT sell the opium to the Chinese, they were used bribed/tricked into acting a drug enforcers.

Just look up:

Hong Kong and The Sassoon Opium Wars

Anti-semetic cockology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I have never seen anyone wear a poppy in Ireland.

Why would they? It's a British thing? I wouldn't put one of those blood stained markers on me.

'But what about the Belgians....'

Why do you feel the need to cover for past crimes of others Fred?

I'm not covering anything Nodin, just pointing out the hypocrisy of the average republican.

You included.

We can, but invading Afganistan was never going to persuade them that maybe the West is not so bad after all and that attacking people in the West is not really a productive use of their time.

The wack a mole approch to international security is not really all that effective.

Al Qeada started attacking the west long before anyone other than human rights campaigners even looked at Afghanistan.

Well, I'm not Irish, but I would consider colluding with Nazi Germany and discussing a possible invasion of Ireland pretty horrendous to be honest.

From where we're sitting now after the horrors have been exposed it does seem pretty horrendous but you'll be aware of the 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' military doctrine and it was the late 1930's.

Sure didn't Britain collude with mass murderer Joseph Stalin?

I3
    Al Qeada started attacking the west long before anyone other than human rights campaigners even looked at Afghanistan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I have noticed that the majority of the dail members also including our president of the day never where the poppy,nor would I expect them to.

Just thought I would throw that in, carry on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement