Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    Remembrance day in July was surpose to kill off this debate once and for all, then we don't have to wear an Easter Lily or a Poppy.

Thing is, the Armistice was signed on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, hence Remembrance/Poppy day being in November. Same goes for the Easter Lily, which could only be worn during Easter, as that's when the Easter rising took place! Many people are of course on their Summer hols in July, which I guess leaves the States newish 'compromise' date as neither fish nor foul, but rather a date in the calender which is often forgotten, or just passed by without even being noticed IMO.

Remembrance day will always be on or around the 11th/Nov (nearest Sunday).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

It's all a bit daft, the being aghast: A little like only being allowed to remember a single grandparent's birthday.

There are generally 365 days in the year. That permits diversity and since we are humans rather than sheep, we can choose the days that are important to us for reasons that matter to us as individuals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

Dubl07 wrote: »
    It's all a bit daft, the being aghast: A little like only being allowed to remember a single grandparent's birthday.

There are generally 365 days in the year. That permits diversity and since we are humans rather than sheep, we can choose the days that are important to us for reasons that matter to us as individuals.

Because we are part of societies not just families or groups of friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ChicagoJoe

Really? Tell me what you seen that gave you that impression?
    The jingoism is that obvious so I'm not going to explain as doubtless you'll reject it anyway. Maybe I will come across as a coarse American but the British seem to be mourning junkies, only a few months ago it was Thatcher, now this Remembrance thing for a month which seems to be almost as big a pain in the ass as the circus around Lady Diana's death.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Maybe they should think twice about riding shotgun on America's oil security missions?
    Back in the States talking to the guys who served alongside the British in Iraq, some of them told me they used to call the British " the borrowers " as they were always borrowing equipment and material off the US :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

ChicagoJoe wrote: »
    The jingoism is that obvious so I'm not going to explain as doubtless you'll reject it anyway. Maybe I will come across as a coarse American but the British seem to be mourning junkies, only a few months ago it was Thatcher, now this Remembrance thing for a month which seems to be almost as big a pain in the ass as the circus around Lady Diana's death.

Hmmm remind me....what day was it in the US yesterday? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Captain Farrell

Don't think you'd have found anyone mourning about Thatcher, pal.

As for jingoism, America takes it to new levels on a daily basis. They way everyone flies the 'Murican flag, reciting the pledge of allegiance each day at school, soldiers treated as heroes everywhere they go.

As for Diana, it's still not on a par with the hoohah that still goes on about JFK, and that happened 50 years ago! Come on, get a grip.

AEDIC wrote: »
    Hmmm remind me....what day was it in the US yesterday? :rolleyes:
    Our TV presenters, NFL players, pop stars etc do not go around wearing a dumb flower on them for a month do they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Thank Jebus it's over for another year.

Our TV presenters, NFL players, pop stars etc do not go around wearing a dumb flower on them for a month do they?

No, of course not, you just have national holidays for Veteran's Day and Memorial Day...

• Advertisement

No, of course not, you just have national holidays for Veteran's Day and Memorial Day...
    So 2 days = 30 in your book?

As for jingoism, America takes it to new levels on a daily basis. They way everyone flies the 'Murican flag, reciting the pledge of allegiance each day at school, soldiers treated as heroes everywhere they go.

As for Diana, it's still not on a par with the hoohah that still goes on about JFK, and that happened 50 years ago! Come on, get a grip.
    We defeated the British in 1776 and 1812 and then had to come over and save them in WW1 and WW2 - God bless America !!!!

So 2 days = 30 in your book?

We don't have a national holiday, ie. instructing the whole nation that it's their time to pay respects. We have a charity that sells plastic flowers to raise money for ex-servicemen in the weeks prior to November 11th. A charity that people can, on an individual basis, decide whether they wish to contribute to or not.

Not the national government instructing us to take time off work to mourn or pay respects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 barney10

I think its up to the individual to decide to wear a poppy or not.

We defeated the British in 1776 and 1812 and then had to come over and save them in WW1 and WW2 - God bless America !!!!

'Murica, fuck yeah!?

And to think the irish accuse us brits of revisionist history....

I dont remember the Americans being involved in WWII when the Battle of Britain took place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

And you accuse the British of jingoism?

By the way, the famine's over now, you can come home and give the indigenous people their land back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

And you accuse the British of jingoism?

By the way, the famine's over now, you can come home and give the indigenous people their land back.

Oh dear:mad:

I think this guy was on the wind up imo.

Madam wrote: »

Damn, was he?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

jesus, where were you, the little tory boys spent days talking about her how good she was and how great it was she sold everything belonging to the people off to her little friends, and that waste of space boris johnson making a competition out of her funeral as to how many turned out on either the pro or anti side and which side cheered the most and the loudest and could be heard more over the other, circus wouldn't even describe it

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

pew pew pew pew,... rootin-tootin amerikay...yeehaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Nah they just go with pink ribbons, gloves and boots and fine anybody who dares to do something different instead...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

barney10 wrote: »

Not if you work at the BBC and want to keep your job.. Or a number of other British businesses and institutions that have more or less made it compulsory. Britain is just as guilty as Germany for starting WW1 (which led directly to WW2, the punitive conditions imposed on Germany were an incubator for fascism) The notion that Britain is on some sort of moral high ground is absurd.

Not if you work at the BBC and want to keep your job.. Or a number of other British businesses and institutions that have more or less made it compulsory.

You have evidence to back that up do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

The evidence is on your tv screen, every BBC presenter wears a poppy. Do you think they would be allowed on screen if they didn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Doesn't John Snow get untold flak each year for not wearing one? Also look at the vitriol directed at Northampton Town Football Club for not having one on their jerseys last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Couldn't find any poppies on sale around the place

The evidence is on your tv screen, every BBC presenter wears a poppy. Do you think they would be allowed on screen if they didn't?

I don't know, has anyone tried it?

And the several institutions where you would get the sack?

Madam wrote: »

What makes you so sure?

Im afraid that a large percentage of the US population come out with similar at the drop of a hat.

Having debated US Republicans on a good few occasions I seriously doubt its a wind up.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

barney10 wrote: »
    Not if you want to appear on the Brit telly-box or other media. The charity has become a national institution (no issue for me really) but the money-raising symbol is now an obsession to the extent that it's viewed as "unpatriotic" not to sport a poppy, even if you're not a Brit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement