Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

A phrase from a song that British authorities have declared is secterain / racist is no big deal now

How is what I said sectarian /racist?

Sounds to me like an extreme case of double standards at play. 120 pages of anti British bile is acceptable, but mention the famine and your an anti Irish /Racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

How is what I said sectarian /racist?

Sounds to me like an extreme case of double standards at play. 120 pages of anti British bile is acceptable, but mention the famine and your an anti Irish /Racist.

Given that a lot of people, British and within Britain are having a problem with growing 'poppy fascism' I don't think you can call it anti-British bile.
    But isn't it funny you decided to use one of those events that might have caused a lot of anti British bile to get an Irish/American croppy to lie down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/nov/13/charlene-white-itv-news-presenter-remembrance-day-poppy

I loved the line at the bottom from a Labour mp stating that Google not having something spectacular on their page is demeaning!

Cos nothing says respect like a page covered in dancing poppy Gifs.

I wonder if "thouht police" is an apt description?

But there is something rather fanatical (in the North Korean sense) about them.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/nov/13/charlene-white-itv-news-presenter-remembrance-day-poppy

I loved the line at the bottom from a Labour mp stating that Google not having something spectacular on their page is demeaning!

Cos nothing says respect like a page covered in dancing poppy Gifs.

I wonder if "thouht police" is an apt description?

But there is something rather fanatical (in the North Korean sense) about them.

And none of them get the irony of their fascism.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Given that a lot of people, British and within Britain are having a problem with growing 'poppy fascism' I don't think you can call it anti-British bile.
    But isn't it funny you decided to use one of those events that might have caused a lot of anti British bile to get an Irish/American croppy to lie down?

Aah yes, the famine. All the fault of those nasty Brits, every single one of them.

Were your ancestors one of the farmers who created their own militia to protect their grain, or maybe one of the merchants criticised for profiteering?

Isn't it odd that a minutes silence that is primarily to remember those killed in two world wars, one of which happened in living memory, is the subject of ridicule, but any mention of a famine that happened 170 years ago is sectarian?

Is Chicago Joe a "croppy"? Is he even Irish?

Maybe he is a scotch irish protestant, or did famine and disease only target Catholic pure blood gaels?

• Advertisement

Aah yes, the famine. All the fault of those nasty Brits, every single one of them.

Were your ancestors one of the farmers who created their own militia to protect their grain, or maybe one of the merchants criticised for profiteering?

Isn't it odd that a minutes silence that is primarily to remember those killed in two world wars, one of which happened in living memory, is the subject of ridicule, but any mention of a famine that happened 170 years ago is sectarian?

Is Chicago Joe a "croppy"? Is he even Irish?

Maybe he is a scotch irish protestant, or did famine and disease only target Catholic pure blood gaels?

Fred, make fun of the famine all you want, no problem with that. Just don't be pathetic and get all sensitive and huffy when somebody sees humour in something you hold dear. It's a good modus operandi on the internet.

And none of them get the irony of their fascism.

Yep, social media is a great way to understand a country of 60 million people.

Funnily enough, Dara O'Briain also gets abuse and criticism on remembrance day, but only on the rare occasion he does wear a poppy.

I believe the phrases west Brit and Brit arse kisser are often used, which, if you read his book, he certainly isn't.

Fred, make fun of the famine all you want, no problem with that. Just don't be pathetic and get all sensitive and huffy when somebody sees humour in something you hold dear. It's a good modus operandi on the internet.

May I suggest you take your own advice. Or does it only apply when it suits you?

May I suggest you take your own advice. Or does it only apply when it suits you?

I was only pointing out your hypocrisy.

But as you say, this is the internet/social media, it doesn't mean anything what people say, there is no problem with poppy fascism, they are just taking time off from being decent British people. God love them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

But as you say, this is the internet/social media, it doesn't mean anything what people say, there is no problem with poppy fascism, they are just taking time off from being decent British people. God love them.

Happyman wins.
    lolz!

• Advertisement

Oh, OK, so those people ARE indicative of British people. OK.

So I can deduce then that idiots who break into a halal food Shop are indicative of all Irish people, or the idiots that abuse Dara O'Briain are typical of anti British fascism in Ireland?

Or were they just taking time off from being decent Irish people?

Oh, OK, so those people ARE indicative of British people. OK.

NO, they are indicative (along with other examples) of a problem amongst British people.
    Just like the irrelevant examples of problems amongst Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

The poppy is a representation of the British military and the jingoism that goes with it, the poppy does not represent the British people as a whole.

NO, they are indicative (along with other examples) of a problem amongst British people.
    Just like the irrelevant examples of problems amongst Irish people.

Oh good, for a minute there I thought all Irish people thought Poles ate swans and all Nigerians drove taxis provided by welfare.

That's good, thewe must only be indicative of a problem with inherent racism amongst Irish people.

By the way, the only people that gave a **** about James McLean being dropped were Irish, in fact 99% of the fuss about poppy fascism seems to come from the Irish.

Maybe this is also indicative of something.

in fact 99% of the fuss about poppy fascism seems to come from the Irish.

If you genuinely believe that then you are part of the problem.

If you genuinely believe that then you are part of the problem.

Lol, well done you. You read an article by John Frisk and managed to find a blog written by a Celtic fan and now you're an expert?

How about taking a look closer to home, or is it the old story of it being much easier to moralise about those nasty Brits than face up to the cold hard truth at home.

I suppose years of being conditioned that way are hard to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Lol, well done you. You read an article by John Frisk and managed to find a blog written by a Celtic fan and now you're an expert?

How about taking a look closer to home, or is it the old story of it being much easier to moralise about those nasty Brits than face up to the cold hard truth at home.

I often find that as these threads lumber on, the more and more of the real Fred we see......

Nodin wrote: »
    I often find that as these threads lumber on, the more and more of the real Fred we see......

Apologies, I forgot, this is an Irish board.

The Brits are a bunch of nasty racist, bastards = a bit of banter

The Irish ain't so perfect = anti Irish Hibernophobia.

Apologies, I forgot, this is an Irish board.

The Brits are a bunch of nasty racist, bastards = a bit of banter

The Irish ain't so perfect = anti Irish Hibernophobia.

....and the bitterness tends to come out too.

....and the bitterness tends to come out too.

Truth hurting?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Truth hurting?

The mask has well and truly slipped off at this stage, the more the thread progresses the more bitter/angry Fred becomes.

Also, hopefully by the time the thread has wound up you will you realised a few little truths for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ChicagoJoe

'Murica, fuck yeah!?

And to think the irish accuse us brits of revisionist history....
    You have rained on my parade, I always thought you British liked Americans :)

WikiLeaks: Britain mocked by US over 'special relationship'

Richard LeBaron, the US deputy chief of mission, said the obsession with the alliance would “be humorous, if it were not so corrosive”......The documents suggest a faint ridiculing of Britain's attitude to the US, with politicians described as "paranoid" about maintaining the "special relationship" with the US.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/wikileaks/8180709/WikiLeaks-Britain-mocked-by-US-over-special-relationship.html
    We don't have a national holiday, ie. instructing the whole nation that it's their time to pay respects. We have a charity that sells plastic flowers to raise money for ex-servicemen in the weeks prior to November 11th. A charity that people can, on an individual basis, decide whether they wish to contribute to or not.

Not the national government instructing us to take time off work to mourn or pay respects.
    Bank holidays in America are named in honour of Americans who deemed worthy such as Martin Luther King day, Labor day, Veterans day etc it’s not about instructing the whole nation that it's their time to pay respects. But if every TV presenter, sports person, pop singer etc wearing a poppy for a month 24/7 isn’t TV instructing the whole nation that it's their time to pay respects to the “ borrowers “ I don’t know what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ChicagoJoe

And you accuse the British of jingoism?

By the way, the famine's over now, you can come home and give the indigenous people their land back.
    And by the way, since the Scottish famines of the 16th century are over now, you can go home and give the indigenous Irish people their land back in the north. And while you're at it the Brits can also give the indigenous people of Africa, India, Australia, New Zealand, etc their land back stolen by British Imperialists (whom you wear a poppy to of course) and held onto by British mining and oil companies thanks to ’ agreements ’ imposed at the point of a gun.

The pot shouldn't call the kettle black buddy.

ChicagoJoe wrote: »
    And by the way, since the Scottish famines of the 16th century are over now, you can go home and give the indigenous Irish people their land back in the north. And while you're at it the Brits can also give the indigenous people of Africa, India, Australia, New Zealand, etc their land back stolen by British Imperialists (whom you wear a poppy to of course) and held onto by British mining and oil companies thanks to ’ agreements ’ imposed at the point of a gun.

The pot shouldn't call the kettle black buddy.

Says the American.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Fred is fine, and just like most posters here he doesn't like being provoked or poked with a stick, specially by PIRA supporters in a thread about the remembrance poppy.

wazky wrote: »
    The mask has well and truly slipped off at this stage, the more the thread progresses the more bitter/angry Fred becomes.

Also, hopefully by the time the thread has wound up you will you realised a few little truths for yourself.

Still claiming McLean was dropped for refusing to wear a poppy?

LordSutch wrote: »
    Fred is fine, and just like most posters here he doesn't like being provoked or poked with a stick, specially by PIRA supporters in a thread about the remembrance poppy.

Yes, a discussion always excuses sweeping generalisations, snide remarks and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Says the American.....

Sez de Brit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

LordSutch wrote: »

You can see the balaclavas through the internet?, God bless your eyesight.

• Advertisement

I'm more of an expert than somebody who recognises and dislikes poppy fascism and then spends his entire time and input into an online discussion saying there is 'no problem'.
    Get a grip Fred.

p.s. I am quite well aware what is going on 'at home', I have never painted 'home' as the green and pleasant land you seem duty bound to do for the nation you want to be part of.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement