Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Nodin wrote: »
    Yes, a discussion always excuses sweeping generalisations, snide remarks and the like.

Sweeping generalisations about the Irish = mask slipping.

Sweeping generalisations about the Brits = discussion

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

ChicagoJoe wrote: »
    And by the way, since the Scottish famines of the 16th century are over now, you can go home and give the indigenous Irish people their land back in the north. And while you're at it the Brits can also give the indigenous people of Africa, India, Australia, New Zealand, etc their land back stolen by British Imperialists (whom you wear a poppy to of course) and held onto by British mining and oil companies thanks to ’ agreements ’ imposed at the point of a gun.

The pot shouldn't call the kettle black buddy.

How many generations back of pure blood do people have to be in your opinion in order to stay in Ulster?

As much as Im against internment by remand and the conditions that exist inside Maghaberry prison Id rather be there than in Guantanamo Bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Sweeping generalisations about the Irish = mask slipping.

Sweeping generalisations about the Brits = discussion

Sweeping generalisations about any nationality = idiocy

P_1 wrote: »
    Sweeping generalisations about any nationality = idiocy

But an easy trap to fall in to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ChicagoJoe

Says the American.....
    D'oh ...... says the fella who brought up about going home and giving indigenous people their land back.

( By the way I am " back home ", father is from Newry, mother's folks from Enniscorthy and Derry city, living in Ireland 5 years and have an Irish passport - what passport do you have? It's very rich but typical of a Brit to be telling anyone to " go home " ;))

D'oh ...... says the fella who brought up about going home and giving indigenous people their land back.

( By the way I am " back home ", father is from Newry, mother's folks from Enniscorthy and Derry city, living in Ireland 5 years and have an Irish passport - what passport do you have? It's very rich but typical of a Brit to be telling anyone to " go home " ;))

So why are you bragging about the US? Are you Irish or American?

How many generations back of pure blood do people have to be in your opinion in order to stay in Ulster?
    Ask your buddy Fratton Fred as he is the one who brought up about people " going home ".

One thing I have to say, only seen about two or three people in the last few weeks yet with a poppy in Dublin? Guys from down the country have told me they have never seen anyone wear a poppy in their town or village, even in the border counties.

So why are you bragging about the US? Are you Irish or American?
    Well if America ever declares war on Ireland I'll be on the Irish side :)

Ask your buddy Fratton Fred as he is the one who brought up about people " going home ".

Uh Fred is not my buddy (not that I have any bad will towards him), I only know him from here and we usually disagree but I know exactly what he was doing there; pointing out your hypocrisy (which is why I thanked his post).

Now you made the comment and Im asking you how many generations of pure blood do people have to have to be allowed to say in Ulster in your opinion?

• Advertisement

Uh Fred is not my buddy (not that I have any bad will towards him), I only know him from here and we usually disagree but I know exactly what he was doing there; pointing out your hypocrisy (which is why I thanked his post).

Now you made the comment and Im asking you how many generations of pure blood do people have to have to be allowed to say in Ulster in your opinion?
    Answer is in post #2769.

Should Ireland ban the American military from using Shannon airport?

Should it arrest for treason on return any Irish person who joined the American armed forces?

Should Ireland nationalize all American owned businesses here without compensation?

Answer is in post #2769.

No you said clearly that you believe that the Scotch Irish should leave Ulster; Fred didnt- so what it has to do with him I do not know.

Is it true that much of the money supposedly raised for charity and the injured ends up in British Legion drinking clubs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

No you said clearly that you believe that the Scotch Irish should leave Ulster; Fred didnt- so what it has to do with him I do not know.

Serious question; Is Scots Irish the same as Ulster Scots? I guess so, just a different term?

LordSutch wrote: »
    Serious question; Is Scots Irish the same as Ulster Scots? I guess so, just a different term?

Yes its the same.

LordSutch wrote: »

Scotch Irish is, I believe, how the Americans term it.

Unless that's bushmills!

Is it true that much of the money supposedly raised for charity and the injured ends up in British Legion drinking clubs?

They have a number of clubs, similar to working men's clubs. I would have thought they were pretty much self financing though.

I'm guessing Joe thinks I'm a loyalist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I'm guessing Joe thinks I'm a loyalist.

I'm guessing maybe Joe is reading your comments, like everybody else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 barney10

Nodin wrote: »
    ....and the bitterness tends to come out too.

Are one liners your speciality ??

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is true.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Zebra3 wrote: »
    So you think it's appropriate for people in fancy dress to take such a prominent position for a minute's silence? :confused:

Yes, nothing wrong with it. If it was at the cenotaph in London then it would be a different kettle of tea bags all together.

And Ireland will be looking at the UK for protection.

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Yes, nothing wrong with it.

Maybe things are changing and I'm outta touch but I think suggesting that cuddly toys and dinosaurs are sentient beings and are capable of solemn remembrance is always gonna risk you getting ridiculed.

Best leave that stuff to Disney and Pixar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

HansHolzel wrote: »

That is totally off topic
    But to put your mind at rest in Scottish courts No Surrender was found not to be a sectarian song but a folk song. Now whether you agree with this is another matter you would also think the Irish Times would do there job properly. After all it is played all over the world on a regular basis including here in the Republic of Ireland.

That is totally off topic
    But to put your mind at rest in Scottish courts No Surrender was found not to be a sectarian song but a folk song. Now whether you agree with this is another matter you would also think the Irish Times would do there job properly. After all it is played all over the world on a regular basis including here in the Republic of Ireland.

What exactly do you mean by No Surrender? Do you mean Derry's Wall (which is an actual folk song and quite a good one)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

What exactly do you mean by No Surrender? Do you mean Derry's Wall (which is an actual folk song and quite a good one)?

Yes thats the one I should have cleared that up at the start sorry

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement