Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options
1888990919294»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

Yes thats the one I should have cleared that up at the start sorry

But it appears that they were doing a little more than singing Derry's Walls- at around 5 minutes in we see them singing about the YCV which is onto a totally different territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

But it appears that they were doing a little more than singing Derry's Walls- at around 5 minutes in we see them singing about the YCV which is onto a totally different territory.

Maybe so again it has never been deemed against the law much as I do not agree with it being sung. Many songs are sung at football matches that we can all find offensive.
    You will also find they were singing a song about Bobby Sands which is not needed but people were trying to say that was sectarian its not
    But I am not going down the route of what should be sung and what shouldn't this thread is about the Poppy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

If racist abuse of a celebrity on Twitter is how you measure the people of a nation, then we're all ****ed.

It is noticeable, by the way, that several Irish posters have said they never felt under any sort of pressure to wear a poppy when living and working in the UK.

These comments have been generally ignored by those who are only looking for examples of poppy fascism.

Dara O'Briain's "abuse" http://www.theguardian.com/stage/2012/nov/13/live-q-and-a-dara-o-briain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Maybe so again it has never been deemed against the law much as I do not agree with it being sung. Many songs are sung at football matches that we can all find offensive.
    You will also find they were singing a song about Bobby Sands which is not needed but people were trying to say that was sectarian its not
    But I am not going down the route of what should be sung and what shouldn't this thread is about the Poppy

And yet people boast to pay a poppy tax towards supporting those bigots in the British Army who would gladly harm Irish people :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

I seriously doubt thats the reason they buy a poppy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭grainnewhale

timthumbni wrote: »
    Out of curiosity do many people actually wear the Easter lily down south?

I know in Northern Ireland SF have their wee thing but I can't recall ever seeing anyone on the street or whatever wearing one.

As far as I know the bullyboys in S.F haven't made it compulsory, unlike their U.k counterparts.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭LOSTfan57

So today I hear that plain clothes british army randomly shot and killed nationalist.....oh what a brave noble heroic bunch these british soldiers are......I really wish I had worn a poppy. These soldiers killing nationalists randomly are heroes I should worship xox

• Registered Users Posts: 22,095 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

LOSTfan57 wrote: »
    So today I hear that plain clothes british army randomly shot and killed nationalist.....oh what a brave noble heroic bunch these british soldiers are......I really wish I had worn a poppy. These soldiers killing nationalists randomly are heroes I should worship xox

Just to put a link in for this incase they think your making it up

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24987465

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

LOSTfan57 wrote: »

Is anyone asking you or any one else to worship them or any other British soldiers as a hero?

In almost 35 years I've never once felt any pressure from anyone to buy a poppy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dublinbhoy88

As far as I know the bullyboys in S.F haven't made it compulsory, unlike their U.k counterparts.
    Yes but free state hypocrites FF/FG have a commemoration every Easter for the men they sold out in 1916

• Registered Users Posts: 29,047 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Just to put a link in for this incase they think your making it up

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24987465

a couple of lovely quotes from some of these filth
    "We were hunting down hardcore baby-killers, terrorists, people that would kill you without even thinking about it."

people like you so? except they most likely weren't were they, they were civilians
    the members of the MRF who Panorama interviewed said their actions had ultimately helped bring about the IRA's decision to lay down arms.

LOL, how delusianel are they?
    Gen Sir Mike Jackson, the former head of the British army, and a young paratrooper captain in 1972, said he had known little of the unit's activities at the time, but admired the bravery of soldiers involved in undercover work.

good man yourself, murdering civilians because they were irish and catholic is very brave.
    He said: "That takes a lot of courage and it's a cold courage. It's not the courage of hot blood [used by] soldiers in a firefight.

your certainly right there, murdering civilians in cold blood does take a certain sort of person, usually a wild animal

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Ah here, leave it until November will you. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Bringing up this thread again is like opening a portal direct to hell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Ah here, leave it until November will you. :D

Maybe we could amalgamate it with the "Would you wear an Easter Lily" thread.

It's amazing that McGuinness and Co. couldn't find it in themselves to dine with Queen Elizabeth 2nd when she was in Ireland but have no problem jumping on board for the shin digs in London next week with all the show of British military pomp and ceremony .

Just shows that they misjudged completely the feelings of the Irish people for the visit or is it just their usual hypocrisy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Richard wrote: »
    Depends how you define "Irish".

In any case I would be very very surprised if UTV presenters wear a poppy on content which is UTVi only. For UTVni or any joint news programming (if there is any) it'll be business as usual, wearing it for a shorter time period than the ITN presenters.

BANNED BINNED!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Maybe we could amalgamate it with the "Would you wear an Easter Lily" thread.

It's amazing that McGuinness and Co. couldn't find it in themselves to dine with Queen Elizabeth 2nd when she was in Ireland but have no problem jumping on board for the shin digs in London next week with all the show of British military pomp and ceremony .

Just shows that they misjudged completely the feelings of the Irish people for the visit or is it just their usual hypocrisy

One would think that there are some Irish people who would prefer the bad old days.:rolleyes:
    McG not getting involved when she came here was actually the right thing to do, given that he didn't know what she was going to say.
    The monarchy's acceptance that they where also culpable for what happened in Ireland was hugely significant. Everything that has happened since, stems from that (The handshake, accepting diplomatic invitations etc.) and there are many real Irish people who where waiting and needed to hear it said.
    Off course our resident partitionists and deniers like to see it as capitulation by republicans, but the monarchy is also making all the right noises too, as they most definitely should, their history here is not something to be proud off.
    The relationship is now on the footing of equals. No more bowing and scraping, there is a distinction between a bow/curtsy and a handshake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

wazky wrote: »
    Bringing up this thread again is like opening a portal direct to hell.

Sorry, fair point.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Grand stretch in the evenings again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Does anyone in Ireland ever wear one?

gay Byrne will be wearing one.Our family would wear Easter lilies.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement