Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it ok for 3yr old to use exercise equipment?

• 23-10-2013 12:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭

My 3 yr old has started climbing on our elliptical cross trainer & although its is a bit of a struggle for him he is able to use it!

I was just wondering if this can do him any harm in regards to physical developement? He is only on it for very short periods.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Won't do any harm unless he falls off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Won't do any harm unless he falls off.

Might even get a few quid for that if it's caught on camera.

Win-win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Stop. Now.

It will stunt his growth and he will be the size of a 3 year old forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ForeverX17

I don't see how you think exercising would stunt his growth?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭the cats pajamas

excessive weight training or the kind of diet they put gymnasts can have an effect on bone development but that seems harmless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

ForeverX17 wrote: »

He was impersonating the exercising too young is bad for you brigade in a mocking fashion.

If he keeps falling off onto his head, the child won't grow much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Many gymnasts start out young. The ones who get to be professionals are typically of small stature, as it favours many of the disciplines to be short and have short arms.

So people wrongly jump to the conclusion that the short gymnast is short since he started doing resistance exercises at a young age. When really its just that since he was short he was more suited to it and got to the professional level.

You do not hear of people worrying about kids playing basketball becoming too lanky though, which should be a similar worry.

The diet thing for gymnasts was mentioned too, this is usually more in relation to female gymnasts, who may be eating too little to develop properly.

I would love to be able to get in as many squats as a typical 3 year old does in a day!

If you think about it: he wont even need schooling and education if you stunt his growth through exercise and physical exertion young enough.

Being the height of a 3 yeard old for your whole life means a guaranteed career path such is the strong demand and short (!) supply of really small adults. Its just economics.

I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

If you think about it: he wont even need schooling and education if you stunt his growth through exercise and physical exertion young enough.

Being the height of a 3 yeard old for your whole life means a guaranteed career path such is the strong demand and short (!) supply of really small adults. Its just economics.

I

Do you see the "I" at the end of your post? I just put that there... I was trying to start a post and boards had a conniption resulting in many flashing screens and the "I" that I had typed appeared in your post with no trace of me having done it.

Do I

Have

Magic Powers?

• Advertisement

kevpants wrote: »
    Do you see the "I" at the end of your post? I just put that there... I was trying to start a post and boards had a conniption resulting in many flashing screens and the "I" that I had typed appeared in your post with no trace of me having done it.

Do I

Have

Magic Powers?

KevMagicPants.

Conniption is such an underused word. Lets bring it back.

I

Dear pennypitstop.

Do not have a coniption about your child using the cross trainer. It will stand him in good stead. Possibly.

I

Claudius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭Thud

thanks's an amazing superpower you've discovered there Kevpants, if there is a boards section for people who like pens you could have a lot of fun there

How did you manage to spell it wrong?

In all seriousness I was going to clarify that I was taking the mickey but then I decided I wouldnt and deleted my clarification. The residual 'I' has taken on a life of its own. Itll be my new sign off. Like OPR only less consananty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

our 5yr old started gymnastics at 3yrs old - he/she should be doing stuff like that or let loose in a playground i find best

Advertisement