Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Norton x3 pc Internet protection

• 23-10-2013 12:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭

€45 down to €7 @ Tesco

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

2012 version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭nitros7

AFAIK the key will activate the 2013 version as you will be promped to update anyway if you install the 2012 version!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

nitros7 wrote: »
    AFAIK the key will activate the 2013 version as you will be promped to update anyway if you install the 2012 version!

Correct.

Do not use the disc you get in Tesco. Go to norton site and download inter security 2103, use the 30 day free trial if you wish, and then add the product key from inside the box to add 365 days. Can be gotten usually for €20-€25 online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Or you could use a good AV product instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

MS Security Essentials, free and as good as anything imo.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

Inquitus wrote: »

It used to be good, but independent tests show that is worst product:
    http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-7/julaug-2013/

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭imtdub

Inquitus wrote: »

+1,

Yep, No doubt about it and it's completely free if you've genuine windows...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,722 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Avast, AVG, Avira, ... all infinitely better value for money (and that's just the A's)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭imtdub

I don't think AVG does such a great job. My nephew plugged a infected pen-drive in my brothers PC which had AVG, it didn't detect the thing even though I scanned it, where as when the same pen-drive was plugged into my PC which has Essential it straight away popped-up saying this is infected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Might have a look in my local Tesco when I get back from France, Thanks Op!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭dinnybyrne

Doom wrote: »
    €45 down to €7 @ Tesco

So it's €7 for a year's protection yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭sk282

2014 is out actually so you can download that and use the key. If you have it already installed then just go to below link and follow the instructions to update.

http://updatecenter.norton.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,722 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

imtdub wrote: »
    I don't think AVG does such a great job. My nephew plugged a infected pen-drive in my brothers PC which had AVG, it didn't detect the thing even though I scanned it, where as when the same pen-drive was plugged into my PC which has Essential it straight away popped-up saying this is infected.

Infected with what?
    There's a lot of false positives out there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I find AVG slows down a computer as bad as the viruses and malware it aims to prevent. Brutal thing to put on any old XP machine low on RAM. Security Essentials and a bit of common sense while surfing is the way forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Or just go with... KASPERSKY INTERNET SECURITY 2012 - 1 PC USER - FREE UPDATE TO 2013 2014 - NEW. £7.00 whatever that is in euro now from e-bay uk.

Norton will just bog down a system, and is also a poor security choice in my opinion :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

agreed, AV is aimed at people that haven't a clue, no offence to anyone :)

far superior and free options out there, no need to shell for AV in this day and age, avast for me on windows and a bit of cop on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭AntDub

Give this a try guys, I've been using Eset Security for years and I've never had a virus.

Download free from here with a 30day trial.
    www.download.cnet.com/ESET-Smart-Security-6/3000-18510_4-10807868.html

And then update your codes every month of so from this website.
    www.facebook.com/pages/Eset-Smart-Security-6/324413337659363

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

AntDub wrote: »
    Give this a try guys, I've been using Eset Security for years and I've never had a virus.

Download free from here with a 30day trial.
    www.download.cnet.com/ESET-Smart-Security-6/3000-18510_4-10807868.html

And then update your codes every month of so from this website.
    www.facebook.com/pages/Eset-Smart-Security-6/324413337659363

Totally agreed, I use ESET Smart Security on my main system and Mincrosoft Security Essentials on the other machines. ESET is a lovely piece of software but is pricey.

Windows 8 comes with MSE built in which is one of the few good things about it when you consider the different shell and learning curve required to use it, although 8.1 now helps to address this.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭colhickey

Stinicker wrote: »
    Totally agreed, I use ESET Smart Security on my main system and Mincrosoft Security Essentials on the other machines. ESET is a lovely piece of software but is pricey.

Windows 8 comes with MSE built in which is one of the few good things about it when you consider the different shell and learning curve required to use it, although 8.1 now helps to address this.

You might want to rethink about using MSE anymore, if the current thinking is correct.

Also, it is starting to be used as the baseline (read: bottom of the bunch) for some of the independent AV testing.

For example, see here. Seems like the free version of BitDefender seems to be on top (for the moment!).

Advertisement