Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending 30 Large Envelopes a Week by An Post - Advice

Options
  • 23-10-2013 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭

So I've had a small business Idea - something which would be fairly easy to run after the initial set-up stage and could easily net a tidy sum each year so a one man operation.

Part of the business would require the sending of around 20-30 large envelopes per week (if things take off). They'd be DVD size, smaller, actually. More like pocket notebook sized.

These would be destined to Irish addresses - no International postage (although, maybe NI).

Can anyone suggest the best way to handle this?

Would buying envelopes and licking stamps be the best way?

Or is there some halfway house between a franking machine? This is a cost centered business so margins are quite thin. I really can't afford one - particularly at the start.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

You can buy printed stamps at the post office that would just be a peal and stick job. Would be the cheapest way to do it. NI counts as Ireland for An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    You can buy printed stamps at the post office that would just be a peal and stick job. Would be the cheapest way to do it. NI counts as Ireland for An Post.

Seems like it's the best way to go for now.... It might look a little 'unprofessional' but feck it I suppose. :)

Another question...

Does anyone know if An Post treat fairly slim, bubble padded jiffy bags as envelopes.

Again, Around 3/4 the size of a DVD and maybe 2cm deep. Could I post this in a postbox with regular stamps??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

As long as its less than 2.5cm thick and less than 500gm it will be classed as a large envelope. you'd be surprised how many companies we use who send things with stamps on I don't view it as any less professional looking really its just the option they have chosen to go with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Mike Ehrmantraut

Are all the envelopes going to be the same weight and size? Just make sure to take them to the Post office and find out the correct postage.

If you underpay on postage, they will most likely either be returned to you with the postage destroyed, or delayed to the customer, then delivered with a sticker saying they were underpaid.

Advertisement