Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

female needs advice on small drainage issue pls.

• 23-10-2013 1:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Hi :-)

We have a bit of a drainage problem. to the left of the house, the ditch is a good bit higher then out site. The land drainage pipe coming off the field there is basically dripping away into our yard. The ditch is about 20 foot from the gable.

I never saw it as an issue (mistake number 1) as the contrators dug a channel, stoned it, and then fitted a pipe. I think now the idea was that, the water would follow the direction of the stones, and then off don the pipe, and away to the gullies at the entrance (that would be mistake number 2, thinking that)

while hoovering today, I noticed the wall behind our bed, had damp/mould on it. this is the inside of the gable wall of course. our house is less then 5 years old.

Now, this is what I think we should do, so I need advice please. I think we should 'connect' a new pipe onto the one coming out of the ditch, and feed this pipe directly into the one already layed down. Feed it in maybe 3/4 foot. The thing about it is, the pipe coming out of he ditch is your bog standard field pipe, bendy, and it's ribbed. I don't know how I could connect a new pipe to it, or if it's possible in the first place.

All I know is if this excess water from the farmers field next door, continues to drip & drizzle away into our yard, our house will be destroyed. Unfortunately the farmer is not aproachable, by any means. He's an odd one.

Help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

Hi :-)

We have a bit of a drainage problem. to the left of the house, the ditch is a good bit higher then out site. The land drainage pipe coming off the field there is basically dripping away into our yard. The ditch is about 20 foot from the gable.

I never saw it as an issue (mistake number 1) as the contrators dug a channel, stoned it, and then fitted a pipe. I think now the idea was that, the water would follow the direction of the stones, and then off don the pipe, and away to the gullies at the entrance (that would be mistake number 2, thinking that)

while hoovering today, I noticed the wall behind our bed, had damp/mould on it. this is the inside of the gable wall of course. our house is less then 5 years old.

Now, this is what I think we should do, so I need advice please. I think we should 'connect' a new pipe onto the one coming out of the ditch, and feed this pipe directly into the one already layed down. Feed it in maybe 3/4 foot. The thing about it is, the pipe coming out of he ditch is your bog standard field pipe, bendy, and it's ribbed. I don't know how I could connect a new pipe to it, or if it's possible in the first place.

All I know is if this excess water from the farmers field next door, continues to drip & drizzle away into our yard, our house will be destroyed. Unfortunately the farmer is not aproachable, by any means. He's an odd one.

Help?
    You should probably put up a picture if ya can BUT a person is not entitled to drain their land into yours which seems to be the case ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

Well you see the farmer, I would safely say isn't even aware of it to be honest. I've had dealings with him over other things, and realised what I was dealing with. I can't aproach him. I dont want to draw him on me. But of course you are right, it seems logical that his land shouldnt be draining into mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭74merc

Why not block the pipe? You've nothing to lose really.

74merc wrote: »
    Why not block the pipe? You've nothing to lose really.

I had a walk around the house while ago, you can hear it before you see it. It's flowing away. Not being smart, but block it with what? I'd image cos of the way gravity works, and the flow of the water, what ever I'd block it with, would eventually burst out onto my yard. Seriously though, how would I block it? Stuff it with rocks to start with, maybe followed by sand, and then concrete? Just wondering. It might be my only option.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

No more big gaps, if it's ever dry for a bit. Really would be best to speak to the owner of the pipe though. If you block the pipe, it might just leak some other way down into your garden.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Can I inquire what being female has to do with this drainage issue?

pwurple wrote: »
    Can I inquire what being female has to do with this drainage issue?

Of course you can inquire. I'm not built like a man, nor would I have the physical strength of a man. So I was after suggestions with this in mind, as I would be doing the job myself. My husband works away alot, and not available to do it. If I can do it myself, then why pay someone to come in? that there should answer your question me thinks. But by all means, if you would like any further info on the said subject, please don't hesitate to contact me.

While I'm at it, can YOU suggest anything for my drainage issue? I'd sure like to hear you think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is your yard constantly wet? if you lift a carpet, is the floor underneath damp?

i'm just wondering how the water is getting from the ditch into your house to the point where it's visible on the walls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

Are you sure the mould is not caused by lack of ventilation/air flow behind the bed. This is a very common spot for mould and mildew in houses.

is your yard constantly wet? if you lift a carpet, is the floor underneath damp?

i'm just wondering how the water is getting from the ditch into your house to the point where it's visible on the walls.

I have no carpets to lift to have a look, and if I try to lift the wooden floors i'll destroy them. Knowing my luck. The yard is wet yes, if you dig down a few feet.

I think that because it's been flowing away since we built here, it has just gradually worked it's way in and around the foundations. I really can't think of any other reason that would cause dampness, on that wall, to a relatively new house. The pipe of flowing water is 'only' 20 foot (give or take) from that gable end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

While I'm at it, can YOU suggest anything for my drainage issue? I'd sure like to hear you think.

Well, I'm just a lowly woman, but it's the farmers problem if he is draining onto your property. I'd either say it to him myself, or get my big strong husband to mention it.

Are you sure the mould is not caused by lack of ventilation/air flow behind the bed. This is a very common spot for mould and mildew in houses.

Definitely not. Windows are always left open a crack & locked. Also the walls all have this (silly looking) vent. Which we leave open also. they are high up, near the ceilings. I noticed dampness first in my girls room, about a year ago. I washed it away, & used spray stuff. It reappeared though. Today, I noticed it in our room. (the girls room, & our room have this gable end). Had I hoovered behind the bed more I might have noticed it.

We are noted on, and often complained to about our house being too hot! I love my heat. The house is always cosy and warm, well insulated. No other dampness anywhere, I have thoroughly checked. Its Just this gable end wall, that has a problem...Right next to his flowing pipe. I took a pic, but a I'm uploading other videos, it won't process till that job is done.

It's my own stupid fault. I should have absolutely got this sorted long before now.

pwurple wrote: »
    Well, I'm just a lowly woman, but it's the farmers problem if he is draining onto your property. I'd either say it to him myself, or get my big strong husband to mention it.

My husband works away alot, and I have already had problems with the farmer. Highly unpredictable, somewhat unstable, and an alcoholic. When I'm here alot, on my own, with my kids, especially at night, I don't want him arriving on. Big stong husband is alot of use hundreds of miles away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

Definitely not. Windows are always left open a crack & locked. Also the walls all have this (silly looking) vent. Which we leave open also. they are high up, near the ceilings. I noticed dampness first in my girls room, about a year ago. I washed it away, & used spray stuff. It reappeared though. Today, I noticed it in our room. (the girls room, & our room have this gable end). Had I hoovered behind the bed more I might have noticed it.

We are noted on, and often complained to about our house being too hot! I love my heat. The house is always cosy and warm, well insulated. No other dampness anywhere, I have thoroughly checked. Its Just this gable end wall, that has a problem...Right next to his flowing pipe. I took a pic, but a I'm uploading other videos, it won't process till that job is done.

It's my own stupid fault. I should have absolutely got this sorted long before now.

Sounds like there's no easy solution. Either you or the land owner will have to take action. Best of luck either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

does the bendy ribbed pipe have holes in it?
    I have a surface water issue and the only solution was small open drains to send it on its way. I found that even a cm of drop can make all the difference to directing the water away. An open drain is easy to clean out and ensure flow. Blocking the pipe will only let the water find another path to you.
    Photos of the situation would help or else get professional advice on the best method to divert the water and to see if it is actually the seat of the damage.

Oldtree wrote: »
    does the bendy ribbed pipe have holes in it?
    I have a surface water issue and the only solution was small open drains to send it on its way. I found that even a cm of drop can make all the difference to directing the water away. An open drain is easy to clean out and ensure flow. Blocking the pipe will only let the water find another path to you.
    Photos of the situation would help or else get professional advice on the best method to divert the water and to see if it is actually the seat of the damage.

I'm not so sure that it's a perferated pipe, which I now is the correct type of drainage pipe. After ringing 'the boss' (hubby) he also said that as the field next door is so high, compared to our site, a drop of about 6 feet, if I did block it, the pressure might build up to such an extent, it might take part of my ditch with it further down the garden. Maybe destroy my plants etc. I made contact with the original contractor, and he is due out to me to have a look at it. If you were to stand next to a brooke listening to the water flowing and gurgling, that what it looks and sounds like now. We also have a code orange weather forecast for alot of rain expected today/tonight.

I'm hoping I wont have to pay for it, but If I do, then I do.

insertimage.gif

insertimage.gif

I finally figured how to upload a pic, i hope this helps. In the second pic....you can clearly see the stones, these were larger stones we used as a kind of first layer, before we went to lay some lome, and smaller stones. Well, more facings than loam maybe. but ye get my drift.

To the right of the pics, under the stones, is another drainage pipe, the idea was that the water would flow out the yellow pipe, and 'find' it's way to the new pipe, and continue off down towards the road, to a dug our gullies. I think most of the water is hitting the stones and soaking down and outwards..and not alot is going down the new pipe. Or maybe if the pipe was layed directly under the yellow one, it might be a couple of feet down to the right...making it useless. The site/house is on an elevated site. This (once I thought about it) is actually the standard flow from this pipe. Not a drip/trickle. Unless it's the height of summer.....

When it gets very rainy, it sounds like a babbling brooke beside the house.
    the yellow pipe is a good 6" wide on closer inspection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

The run-off pipe is the core issue here, and any chance of effectively tackling it within the current arrangement is pointless.

Unless the owner (legally responsible to do so) re-configures the direction of the run-off from the pipe you are will have to connect to the yellow pipe and re-direct the flow away from your site rather than allowing the run-off to simply drip down.

It is difficult to see but the yellow pipe does not appear to be lined, if this is the case, then there is a risk of the pipe become clogged with silt etc eventually failure and other complications.

• Advertisement
Advertisement