Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

horse insurance

Options
  • 23-10-2013 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi,
    just wondering what the general consensus is in relation to insure or not to insure. I currently dont have insurance :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lyoness

the least you should have is 3rd party liability insurance - what if your horse injures another or causes damage to someones property?

I personally have full horse & rider insurance - I don't want to have to worry about vets bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

I dont own a horse but if i did i would certainly get full insurance cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 adamant3

I mostly just do arena work and the odd hack, insurance side I was just thinking of covering vet bills

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

adamant3 wrote: »
    I mostly just do arena work and the odd hack, insurance side I was just thinking of covering vet bills

Even so, what if your horse unexpectedly spooked in the arena (as they can and do), and threw you? If he then managed to get out of the arena and damage someone else's property during this time, you'd be liable for those bills.

You think it may not happen to you, but it's always best to be covered off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

It would be worth checking out BHS (British Horse Society) membership which includes rider and 3rd party liability insurance, I think the other option is Allianz but when I checked they were much more expensive.

Our pony is on loan and so the owner insures her through Allianz (includes Vet bills with an excess) and we have BHS for my daughter.

As Ah_Yeah says, horses can spook and you could become liable for injury/damage to others. Better safe than sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

I have the BHS membership also but nothing extra.

I wonder what percentage of owners are insured though.

20%? Less?

It is one of those things that everybody agrees with in theory but in reality, people do take chances.

Same with towing a box without the proper licence - I read an estimate somewhere recently to the effect that only about 20% of those towing have the licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

I have one insured and two uninsured. One of the uninsured is probably more likely to injure herself as she enjoys going through hedges when she gets hungry but what can you do... The other, an old mare, if she gets sick at this stage it'll be a bullet for her.

So my main riding horse is insured with Allianz. If he acquired a major injury I would hope I could get him the best possible treatment and not have to worry too much about the cost. The policy also covers trailer theft and public liability so worth it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭isaos

adamant3 wrote: »
    Hi,
    just wondering what the general consensus is in relation to insure or not to insure. I currently dont have insurance :confused:

Not worth it if you have many horses - the idea being that the cost of loosing a horse or high vet fees on one is still cheaper than insuring all of them.

Mine is insured (I only have 1) with FBD, couldn't find another insurer anyway before we bought an old farm with enough land to get FBD.

It all depends on the value of your horse(s), age and usage. It can be worth it (I was happy to have insurance with one horse that when sick and could be ridden after he was 12 - He finished his life happy ever after, grazing in the field for a good 15 years after that :rolleyes:

Hope this will have helped :)

Advertisement