Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bosch Corded Hammer Drill 650W €39.99 @Argos

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Woodpecker1

I used some green Bosch tools for years on site work. They are by far the best for the money. They even outlasted my expensive Dewalt stuff. The blue Bosch tools are better again.

That drill will last a lifetime for DIY use.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I had a PSB700RE some years back, possibly the best drill of its class I ever used. That's a fantastic price for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭bromley52

Someone over on the HUKD site commented

"If it's not SDS it's not really any good for anything but very light work".

I don't know anything about drills but does anyone have an opinion on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Woodpecker1

bromley52 wrote: »
    Someone over on the HUKD site commented

"If it's not SDS it's not really any good for anything but very light work".

I don't know anything about drills but does anyone have an opinion on this?

It may take more effort to get through hard concrete Its no SDS drill for sure, but SDS it a very clumsy hard hitting tool. They pound the drill bit hard which is good for some applications but not all.

Say you wanted to drill a hole in a floor or wall tile. The bosch will do it accurately and without damage. And SDS would probably smash the tile before the hole was drilled. Same as hanging a picture. The sds has more chance of cracking the plaster on your wall. Thats why SDS is usually for the trade and not DIY.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Ive never found SDS to be any more harsh on the material unless its in hammeraction of course

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ecomac

Max torque 9 Nm? This is not much better than hand crank drill!

For comparison 18V Bosh Cordless Hammer Drill has torqe 48 Nm
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7113880/Trail/searchtext%3EHAMMER+DRILL.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

ecomac wrote: »

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7113880/Trail/searchtext%3EHAMMER+DRILL.htm

That is twisting force, a electric drill is rarely used for screws so twisting in not required.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭dodzy

Surely you don't think that the 18V cordless would be more powerful that the OP link?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭bromley52

cgarrad wrote: »

Stock in Dun Laoghaire now

• Advertisement

dodzy wrote: »
    Surely you don't think that the 18V cordless would be more powerful that the OP link?

Surprisingly I do. Just read the description, before posting. This one: Torque 9Nm. Drilling capacity for wood 30mm, steel 12mm, masonry 14mm

18V cordless: Torque 48Nm. Drilling capacity for wood 35mm, steel 13mm, masonry 15mm

So, which one is more powerful in your opinion?

Surprisingly I do. Just read the description, before posting. This one: Torque 9Nm. Drilling capacity for wood 30mm, steel 12mm, masonry 14mm

18V cordless: Torque 48Nm. Drilling capacity for wood 35mm, steel 13mm, masonry 15mm

Power wise, the corded without question. For convenience / driving, the cordless.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭asharkman

It's 3 times the price? Whats your point?
    Do you know of a comparably priced cordless drill with similar power?
    If you do then link it.

@dodzy You can't argue with numbers. Oh, sorry, obviously YOU can. And the Earth is flat, if you only say so. In this case I rest my case.
    asharkman wrote: »
    It's 3 times the price? Whats your point?
    My point is to bring potential buyers attention to the technical specs of this drill. Comparing the specs, not only the price may save you a dissapointment.

Firstly, torque and power are not the same thing. It is entirely possible for an electric motor to produce more torque than a big-block Dodge while doing precisely nothing. Power is torque produced at a given rotational speed. You'll find these high-output Li-ion cordless drills spin at half the speed or less of their corded counterparts.

Modern batteries are excellent, and they are somewhat more powerful RPM-for-RPM, but I'd like to point out that 48 Nm is about half the torque of a 1,340 cc Harley-Davidson, and 9 Nm is not atypical of a corded drill of that class and is perfectly adequate for anything shy of boring ship's hulls. :D

Max torque 9 Nm? This is not much better than hand crank drill!...

Hmmm. I take it you mean a bit-and-brace? Let's have a look. 9 Nm is ~6.5 lb. ft. - indulge an oul' fella. Assuming our brace has a crank-throw of three inches, we therefore need to apply a "pull" of just under two stone (26 lb.), constantly and at a tangent perpendicular to the throw-radius, and all at a decent speed. I suggest you try it! :D

jimgoose wrote: »
    Power is torque produced at a given rotational speed ...cordless drills spin at half the speed or less of their corded counterparts

48Nm/2 (by 2 as its only a half of the speed of corded drill) = 24Nm compared to 9Nm.
    jimgoose wrote: »
    Hmmm. I take it you mean a bit-and-brace? Let's have a look. 9 Nm is ~6.5 lb. ft. - indulge an oul' fella. Assuming our brace has a crank-throw of three inches, we therefore need to apply a "pull" of just under two stone (26 lb.), constantly and at a tangent perpendicular to the throw-radius, and all at a decent speed. I suggest you try it! biggrin.png

It seems that you have really taken it seriously :eek:, haven't you?

I think this tread badly needs a moderator. Will not argue any further on this subject. If you need a cheap drill, get it. If you need a good one, don't. End of story.

48Nm/2 (by 2 as its only a half of the speed of corded drill) = 24Nm compared to 9Nm.

I think this tread badly needs a moderator. Will not argue any further on this subject.

I'm not arguing! I always take torque seriously, though. :D

I think this tread badly needs a moderator. Will not argue any further on this subject. If you need a cheap drill, get it. If you need a good one, don't. End of story.

In fairness Eco, Jim is merely pointing out the differences between what you believe to be true and fact.

Put simply, there is no comparison to be made between your link and that of the OP ( and that includes the pricing ). This is a genuine BA in my opinion, and should be left that way.

dodzy wrote: »
    ...This is a genuine BA in my opinion, and should be left that way.

I certainly think so. I have a 710W B&D corded yoke that I picked up a couple of years ago for €46. It's rated at 4.5 Nm, and that is plenty to go through concrete block walls like they're not there, and to reduce a cobalt-steel HSS bit to slag due to my running it too fast with no oil! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Looks like a pretty good deal to me. To compare corded and cordless drills on a like for like basis is not feasible. It's not comparing apples with apples.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

No expert on torque , but is this figure simply down to gearing?

The corded drill will spins much faster which in turn(pun) will produce less torque.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭JoeBaz

Thanks OP.
    I got the last one in Dun Laoghaire today.

I also picked up this too:
    <http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7003677/c_1/1|category_root|Garden+and+DIY|14418702/c_2/3|19805469|Power+tools|14418763/c_3/4|cat_14418763|Drill+bits|14418772.htm>

It's down to €13.19, but when you buy it with the drill, you get another 50% off.
    So I got the drill and bits for €46.58

Happy Days

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Dony

This deal is back on. Picked one up in Drogheda.

Advertisement