Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MRI scan waiting time?

Options
  • 23-10-2013 2:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know the length of time you have to wait for an MRI scan in the public health system, Galway? It is a routine check.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

not too sure of waiting time but just wanted to offer bit of advice regarding which hospital you have scan in. If you are male and broad shouldered make sure they send you to merlin park for the MRI. my husband recently had appointment for MRI in UCHG to be told on the day his shoulders were too wide to fit comfortably in the machine and he would have to go to merlin park as their machine is wider, and they looking at him every week for about 3 months and didnt think of this when booking him in!! 2 other guys there n same day were told the same thing. thankfully only a few days wait for the reschedule but he was private.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

That's gas :D

Do you know how long he was waiting for the initial MRI though? From time it was decided he requested one until he got it? PM if you prefer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I've a buddy with a bad back who in an emergency went private. Took 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I'm public, I've been waiting...five months? My initial problem's completely gone now, mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

3-6 months I think unless it's urgent.

If it is urgent or it was said to you that it'd be rushed then ring up. I know someone who urgently needed one and was left waiting for 4 months because of a clerical error.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭swine

Having been through the procedure myself, the waiting time in UCHG is roughly 25 minutes from beginning to end.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

snubbleste wrote: »
    That's gas :D

Do you know how long he was waiting for the initial MRI though? From time it was decided he requested one until he got it? PM if you prefer
    Took about 2 weeks to get the appointment and then a month later he had it done

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Go private... 1 week wait and a blow-job while you're waiting*

* 1 of these claims may not be true

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Miss Informed

Could be anywhere from 6 - 12 months, especially if it's not an emergency. Call central appointments and ask them if you have an appointment date, or if they can give you an estimate: <no numbers, read charter>

The procedure itself is fine too, about 20 minutes, and if you bring your own cd they'll play it for you - a good way to measure the time passing. It's *really* loud, so I brought ear plugs and put the head phones on over them.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

on the privste system i got a MRI & CT scan within a week, honestly I wasnt even that bad. My friend was in agony and waited over 12 months for the same on public system,
    sucks but thats the way it is

How long do you have to wait for results if you go private ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

It ought to be sent to your doctor within a week or two if non-emergency.

It might not necessarily be accurately written up, but they'll have it. When you do get it, ask for a second opinion on the report. Make sure you have a copy of the disk (you'll be given it on the day) and of the report itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

they gave me a CD to take home but you need to get a consultant to read them, think i had to organise that myself

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Faze11

Went private. Doctor referred me. 2 days later got appointment for next day and day after doc rang me with results. 4 days total. Funds are tight in my house but very reluctant to get rid of health insurance when I hear of waiting times for public system. What if it was something serious?

Faze11 wrote: »
    Went private. Doctor referred me. 2 days later got appointment for next day and day after doc rang me with results. 4 days total. Funds are tight in my house but very reluctant to get rid of health insurance when I hear of waiting times for public system. What if it was something serious?

I'm exactly the same, it's the one thing I'll skrimp and save for. It's just more important than holidays etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Not to sure but you can pay for one for about €250... Ballinsloe were the cheapest at about €190 about a year ago. Shop around they rang between €250-350, I think

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rusty999

Suffering with crippling back pain for 3 years .Had an MRI in Sligo and was told I had facet joint trouble and a bit of arthritis in the spine so went for painful injections n the spine which did not help at all, Have a relation works in London hospital and as a favour to me he asked them to read my mri scan there to get a second opinion--same scan from Sligo. Completely different report on the same scan. London says I should be seeing a neorosurgeon as there are 3 discs touching my spinal chord and I should have them removed to allow for bones in my lumbar spine to fuse . They also said I have cord compression whatever that means. How the hell can 2 hospitals give a completely different report on something so serious as this . I dont know what to do now or what to tell my doctor as it will look like I dont trust them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Ask for second opinion as the injections didn't help.. Say you would like the MRI re-examined in case something was missed.. It's your back and your pain so try not to think you're offending anyone..

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rusty999

Ask for second opinion as the injections didn't help.. Say you would like the MRI re-examined in case something was missed.. It's your back and your pain so try not to think you're offending anyone..

Thanks for reply. Thats probably what I need to do sure enough, its just that I cant believe how two so called experts could be so far apart on their findings.
    Anyway, watch this space is all I can say for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 stevejb

i have crippling back pain and need a lot of strong medication , eventually got to see a consultant on thurs and he requested mri scans , today i got the appointment date , 15th dec , thats 10 months so by the time i get back to the consultant it will be one year , our health system is non existing for public health patients , third world countries have better care

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Where did you get the appointment at?

There seems to be a lot of demand for MRI scans. I know someone who had one recently in the Galway Clinic. She was waiting for a few weeks and her appointment was for 11:30 on a recent Sunday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

stevejb wrote: »
    third world countries have better care

How many MRI machines per capita in the African continent versus Ireland? Or how would you be waiting for an appointment in, say, Zimbabwe or Nigeria? A lot of people throw out the idea that third world health care is better when they are disappointed with their treatment, but, seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,958 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Little My wrote: »
    How many MRI machines per capita in the African continent versus Ireland? Or how would you be waiting for an appointment in, say, Zimbabwe or Nigeria? A lot of people throw out the idea that third world health care is better when they are disappointed with their treatment, but, seriously?

+1

I wonder how may developing countries the poster has visited recently, and what kind of care they would get there.

People regularly die in the Pacific Islands, when they could have been saved by if routine surgery if they lived in Australia or NZ. I'lll wager that it's the same for places here too.

(I'm not saying there are no problems here: there are heaps. But it's not 3rd world stuff by any stretch.)

Little My wrote: »

Sorry had to step in here...

European average MRI per million is 11...

Galway has 5 MRI Scanners at least.

The population Galway is 231,000... Looks like we are well covered...

Lack of MRI scanners is not the issue...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 stevejb

there is no shortage of scanners, when i phoned drogheda hosp to enquire about an earlier scan i was told i could have one next week if i pay 400 euro and as for people dying in third world countries, there are people dying in this country waiting on ambulances

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BobMcBob

Pay for a scan, 250euro
    Expensive, but suspect worthwhile spending the money rather than waiting 10 months for the public scan.

BobMcBob wrote: »
    Pay for a scan, 250euro
    Expensive, but suspect worthwhile spending the money rather than waiting 10 months for the public scan.

Last year I enquired...
    The cheapest in Galway is Ballinsloe @ €195... The city starts at €250

The problem even for private insurance they will only endorse certain MRI... The system is crazy...

There is also a legal thing here... Most Doctors or Osteopaths need an MRI before they will do anything worth while... The Medical profession is run by the legal profession...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

People say go private, but for those on the public system is it not the case that they'll have to wait six months before they are covered for MRI or CT scans - so unless you have been on health insurance for the last six months or so you're in for a long wait either way unless you collapse in pain and go to A&E and even there they may not sanction a scan or have the resources to carry out a scan.

In January of 2013 I went to my GP with throat issues, she sent a letter to hospital asking for consultation with ENT doctor, in January of 2014 I received a letter asking me if I intended staying on the list, I said yes as I still get the same issues I complaind about, I then phoned them and said I had been waiting for a year to see an ENT doctor and the person basically said that that's par for the course and the average waiting time to see an ENT doctor in Galway as between 18 months and 2 years. That same evening I signed up for private healthcare; 2 years to see an ENT doctor is not reasonable in my view and if that's indicative of what happens in other departments then it's not good enough so I have no choice but to go private.

However one thing I don't understand about going private is the following:

Say I visit my GP and she says "hmmm not sure what is causing those symptoms, you seem ok but let's get it checked out just in case" - if public I am placed on the non-emergency waiting list which takes forever.

But, if private, am I not also deemed a non-emergency case and thus would be waiting a long time too. I thought tests were based on level of concern/emergency and not if you were public or private. If a patient has private health insurance and their situation is deemed to be non-emergency then will they still be seen fairly quickly?

Advertisement