Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edge Readers Top 20 Best Games Of Our Time

Comments

I'm surprised Portal 2 doesn't feature on these lists. As amazing as Portal was, I always felt the sequel improved on it increasingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

For example, I love Halo, have played it online probably more than all other games combined, yet I must be one of the few people who think Half life 2 is so grossly overrrated. I thought it was good, but that's about all, and couldn't care if Half Life 3 never came out.

Hand back your discrete graphics card licence son. It'll be Intel HD4000 for you from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

No Fallout?

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

edge readers be wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

zero Sega games, does not compute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

no deus ex? ....fúck off

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Didn't realise it was a readers list. I can safely ignore it as rubbish now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Didn't realise it was a readers list. I can safely ignore it as rubbish now.

All the games are good on it though, only one I haven't played is WoW, never got into it and am glad, all that grinding, bleh.

Reader's lists are never going to have really obscure games on them, but out of those 20 games is there a bad game on it? not really, Halo is probably the one I'd be least arsed playing again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I'd say Goldeneye isn't very good.

There might not be a bad game with that exception on the list but there's plenty of far better and more deserving games left off it. It's a pretty vapid piece. I learned nothing from it except got told a few games that I already know are good. Therefore I can safely ignore it as the rubbish it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Well I'd say Goldeneye isn't very good.

There might not be a bad game with that exception on the list but there's plenty of far better and more deserving games left off it. It's a pretty vapid piece. I learned nothing from it except got told a few games that I already know are good. Therefore I can safely ignore it as the rubbish it is.

What exactly did you expect to learn here?
    Your handle is Retrogamer, you have an encyclopedic knowledge of video games and your particular thing is old and obscure titles! Its unlikely you're going to see an amazing game listed here that you dont already know about tbf!

Did you expect a list of popular games as voted by magazine readers to omit the likes of Resi 4, Bioschock and Vice City in favour of games only the hardcore have heard of?

• Advertisement

I thought it was Edge staff picks. When I was informed it was a populist vote then it explained everything. It's a fluff piece.

Jesus it's just a list of games people voted as being good, yeah it's all the usual suspects but so what? there's never going to be some obscure import Japanese RPG on a list like that, and all the games on there are either hugely influential or just damn good games in their own right.

I don't like claiming things are "best" anyway, "favourite" is more apt, there's plenty of games I'd put on my list that would have better equivalents but so what, I likes what I likes.

krudler wrote: »
    usual suspects but so what?

Pretty much. I found out it's a populist therefore it's the same as any other populist list, i.e. not a barometer of quality. We've seen it all before so what's the point in it which is why I don't give a **** about it. Hardly worth getting worked up over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

No Thief, yet another crap list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Greyfox

same as any other populist list, i.e. not a barometer of quality.

Don’t know how anybody can say that when at least 15 of the 20 are masterpieces, even if any one person didn’t like certain games on the list every game on it except maybe mmask all have a very valid reason for been their. Personally it’s as good of a top 5 as your ever going to get and if theirs ever a top 20 that omits any of the top 5 on this list then it’s a very poor list.

Greyfox wrote: »
    Don’t know how anybody can say that when at least 15 of the 20 are masterpieces, even if any one person didn’t like certain games on the list every game on it except maybe mmask all have a very valid reason for been their. Personally it’s as good of a top 5 as your ever going to get and if theirs ever a top 20 that omits any of the top 5 on this list then it’s a very poor list.

That tbh, it irks me when outstanding games are "too popular". They're popular for a reason, because they're good. If the same list didn't have Ocarina of Time on it people would be complaining as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Greyfox wrote: »
    But it's all so incredibly subjective though. I wouldn't rate any of those games as masterpieces, for example. There's some very good games and some fairly crap games too. Even of the top five, in my opinion only the top 2 belong there. That's why, each year when these lists come out, I simply look at them as a list of popular games in no particular order. Sometimes there'll be something you haven't played that might peak your interest or another that you haven't played in ages and want to start up again.

People aren't understanding what I'm saying. I'm not saying they aren't games. I'm saying it's a purely vapid list.

All it says is 'here's what the unwashed masses like'.

Now if it was 'here's what the writers and editors decided should be on the list and (most importantly) here's the reason why' then I'd be interested even if it was 20 fifa games.

Populists lists are a load of rubbish anyway. A few months ago if I went by the IMDB top 250 then Dark Knight was the best film ever and apparently better than Tokyo Story and Casablanca. Jog on IMDB users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

FFVII ahead of stuff like Persona 4, Grandia, SMT3 etc.? Feck off. Plenty of western RPGs like Planescape and Fallout 2 would be well ahead of it.

They still have a hard on for Halo. I enjoyed Halo Reach a whole lot more.

Ocarina of Time number 1? Wonderful game but it's a bit creaky, I'm not sure about that.

Where's Symphony of the Night?

I'd put VII ahead of both of those games tbh, but Nocturne does come close. Can't speak for Grandia.

Yeah but equally if you see any critic or "expert" list of movies which are the best ever its the usual snorefest selection of Citizen Kane, 8 1/2 , Vertigo etc. (three brilliant movies btw)
    Critics lists can be equally as uninspired as stuff picked by Joe Soap, and usually have a few of the same films that make it onto populist lists like Godfather 2, Psycho etc. critics just love to tell people they're watching, playing, reading and listening to the wrong things, "oh you mean you like that good movie everyone else likes instead of a four hour silent Russian film about an autistic blind violin playing child with the surreal imagery? pffft you pleb."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

"oh you mean you like that good movie everyone else likes instead of a four hour silent Russian film about an autistic blind violin playing child with the surreal imagery? pffft you pleb."

:D:D:D

Yeah but equally if you see any critic or "expert" list of movies which are the best ever its the usual snorefest selection of Citizen Kane, 8 1/2 , Vertigo etc. (three brilliant movies btw)
    Critics lists can be equally as uninspired as stuff picked by Joe Soap, and usually have a few of the same films that make it onto populist lists like Godfather 2, Psycho etc. critics just love to tell people they're watching, playing, reading and listening to the wrong things, "oh you mean you like that good movie everyone else likes instead of a four hour silent Russian film about an autistic blind violin playing child with the surreal imagery? pffft you pleb."

Not the good critics and at least they will explain why they choose which films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

OMG NO SUPERMAN 64 WTF?!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,063 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Argh, not another one of these stupid bloody lists.

At this stage I'm sure you could compiled a top 100 list of top 100 videogame lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

I am glad people had the sense to look past surface of Dark Souls and see it for the classic it is!

jaffusmax wrote: »
    I am glad people had the sense to look past surface of Dark Souls and see it for the classic it is!

I only bought it yesterday, extremely late to the party, but am enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Agricola wrote: »
    Seeing at its such early days people will probably shoot me down but I think GTAV would possibly deserve a look in here, maybe even at the expense of Vice City. I think in years to come people will look back at V as the greatest GTA so far. Unless they top it with 6.

Vice city was a really good size. It wasnt too big or small. It was a great standard for the time and the style was just right. Im not a big gta fan anymore. SA was good but the map was too big with huge empty areas. The lack of radar on the jets mad rampages shortlived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

18 – Vice City

16 – Portal

10 – Super Mario Galaxy

3 – Half Life 2
    Out of that list these are the only games I've played and I only played Super Mario briefly before pretty much handing off the Wii to my nephew.

If it's not on PC it doesn't exist to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

ScumLord wrote: »
    Out of that list these are the only games I've played and I only played Super Mario briefly before pretty much handing off the Wii to my nephew.

If it's not on PC it doesn't exist to me.

I never realised how many of those are console games. Anything we can correlate from that?

• Advertisement

Grimebox wrote: »
    I never realised how many of those are console games. Anything we can correlate from that?

People who consign themselves to one platform are missing out on some of the best games ever made?

Advertisement