Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking a year out...now what??

• 23-10-2013 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

Really need some help and advice on what to do here. Basically I withdrew from my first year of college (1 month in). Got offered a level 7 on D-Day because I messed up my CAO. (Had the points for what i actually wanted on my level 8's :( )
    So gave the level 7 a go, seemed interesting that's why I put it down. Ended up HATING it, it was horrible! I was miserable too because I knew I could have had the course I actually wanted. Withdrew anyways but I'm the only one out of all my friends not in college and now on a year out. I've given out CV's everywhere and haven't gotten anything and was advised by my year co-coordinator to go abroad :/ I'm just gone 18 and wouldn't be able for it especially alone.

PLEASE someone give me some advice I don't want to waste a year :( Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

Only something small but, can you drive? Something you'll probably have to learn eventually so why not now when you have the time? Doing that would keep you temporarily busy until you find something else, I'm in a similar situation and that's one of the things I'm doing at the moment to keep me busy. That said, I have a part time job also.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Doug89

Have you heard of/thought about EVS?

http://www.volunteer.ie/i-want-to-volunteer/european-voluntary-service

Lots of Germans/French/Spanish/Italians do it as a kind of gap year between school and college. Get to go abroad and learn a language/culture, while helping out a voluntary organisation and get paid a couple of Euros while you're at it! You're not expected to have any experience, just enthusiasm, and you'll get a mentor and help with language and admin etc etc ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Emily211

loveBBhate wrote: »
    Only something small but, can you drive? Something you'll probably have to learn eventually so why not now when you have the time? Doing that would keep you temporarily busy until you find something else, I'm in a similar situation and that's one of the things I'm doing at the moment to keep me busy. That said, I have a part time job also.
    Doug89 wrote: »
    Have you heard of/thought about EVS?

http://www.volunteer.ie/i-want-to-volunteer/european-voluntary-service

Lots of Germans/French/Spanish/Italians do it as a kind of gap year between school and college. Get to go abroad and learn a language/culture, while helping out a voluntary organisation and get paid a couple of Euros while you're at it! You're not expected to have any experience, just enthusiasm, and you'll get a mentor and help with language and admin etc etc ...

Thanks guys! Yeah it sucks waiting around for a year, just hope the driving is enough and the next 9 months go fast . Thanks for the link on volunteering :)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Doug89

Leargas are actually probably better for EVP info - that other one was just the first thing to come out of google for me!

http://www.leargas.ie/programme_main.php?prog_code=7049

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

You did the right thing leaving the course when you did as you can apply to college next year.
    I know someone who decided to a take a year out before starting college.
    Durring this time they did a business/secretarial course to improve there typing and computer skills. They also learned to drive and got some part time work.
    Also if you can't afford to go abroad to do volunteer work have a look at http://www.volunteer.ie/.

Also if you are looking for work I would sign on as it will give you some cash and start your record in regards to stamps ( what you need to claim state pension ect).

• Advertisement
Advertisement