Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Horizon with Harmony remote?

• 23-10-2013 3:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭

I know this is a bit of a longshot, but has anyone been able to get the Horizon box to work well with a Logitech Harmony remote?

I can set it up as a device, fine. But unlike the previous box, I can't get it to turn on when I switch to an activity or switch off when I'm turning everything off. So instead of 1 press on, 1 press off, it's about 3 or 4 presses on, and 6 or 7 to turn off. Which kind of defeats the whole purpose of having a Harmony remote.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

I'm having this issue as well.

but I assumed the reason I can't get it to work with my Harmony 785 because it doesn't support bluetooth, and I thought the Horizon remote was bluetooth ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

The Horizon box also has an IR sensor, and you can control some (not all) functions with an IR remote control.

I can get it to turn on & off via the device screen on the remote control, but it requires several button presses to get there. I can't get it to send the "On/Off" command when I go into the TV activity, and again when I switch everything off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,501 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I have it working fine, the Harmony remote can switch on and off the Horizon box and change channels. Wasn't aware that the Horizon box had any IR capability so was surprised when I defined it as a device (Samsung SMT-G7400) and it worked. I have an activity 'Watch Cable TV' which switches it on and when I switch to another activity like 'Watch a DVD', it switches off the Horizon box.

coylemj wrote: »
    I have it working fine, the Harmony remote can switch on and off the Horizon box and change channels. Wasn't aware that the Horizon box had any IR capability so was surprised when I defined it as a device (Samsung SMT-G7400) and it worked. I have an activity 'Watch Cable TV' which switches it on and when I switch to another activity like 'Watch a DVD', it switches off the Horizon box.

Ok, thanks. That might be where I was going wrong. I was trying to leave the box on when I switch between activities as I tend to switch between them a lot, I might have more luck if I set it up to turn off the Horizon box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

ondafly wrote: »
    I'm having this issue as well.

but I assumed the reason I can't get it to work with my Harmony 785 because it doesn't support bluetooth, and I thought the Horizon remote was bluetooth ?

The first triallists got a IR only remote and then everybody got RF remotes that gave some IR functionality. So the new remotes interact with the TV via IR and have to be setup for each TV type and the rest if the controls are RF which have to be paired to the box.

You can also use an apple device and the horizon remote app to control it over wifi.

There is no bluetooth device.

If you have a universal remote control then choose Samsung SMTG 7400 as per whats written beside the serial number on the bottom of the horizon box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 jmcgold

I am considering moving to Horizon but I want to be able to use my Logitech Harmony 550 instead of the Horizon remote.

I have seen several postings that suggest this is possible but I have also seen postings that say some common commands are not available since they are sent via RF instead of IR.
    Looking at this thread it seems pretty definitive that the Harmony remotes will work with Horizon but has anyone here had experiences where common functionality isn't covered?

jmcgold wrote: »
    I am considering moving to Horizon but I want to be able to use my Logitech Harmony 550 instead of the Horizon remote.

I have seen several postings that suggest this is possible but I have also seen postings that say some common commands are not available since they are sent via RF instead of IR.
    Looking at this thread it seems pretty definitive that the Harmony remotes will work with Horizon but has anyone here had experiences where common functionality isn't covered?

Guide button for example doesn't work but you can still access the guide through the channel select and move through the menu. It basically means 3 or so button presses instead of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 fergie087

I received the horizon remote in the trial period but cannot turn TV on/off.I have to use the old upc remote and the original "Black Diamond" tv remote to operate volume.....that's 3 remote controls to use on one service.This is a pain in the neck as is the fees that I pay monthly...the joys of mpdern day living in rip off Ireland.So as you can see I am not a happy camper.

the remote is programmable, I suggest you RTFM.

the remote is programmable, I suggest you RTFM.

+1 Or maybe check this webpage....

The UPC remote control allows you to easily operate all features of the Horizon TV HD+ box or Digital+ box. When paired successfully with your TV, it also provides access to the basic features of your TV like switching your TV on or off and adjusting the volume

http://www.upc.ie/horizontv/tvcode/

• Advertisement

It's great having one remote for all. I still haven't reprogrammed mine to switch on the Horizon box as part of an activity, so I'm still turning on my TV & AV Receiver, then manually turning on the Horizon box as well. But at least I'm not searching around for a 2nd/3rd remote.

It's a pity the extra commands couldn't be included via IR (anyone from UPC listening? Future update?)

coylemj wrote: »

Finally got around to trying this, and it works like a charm.

I just needed to add the "PowerToggle" action to the Horizon activity both when you switch to & from it, and it works perfectly. The Horizon box wakes from sleep fairly quickly, so there's no problem if it sleeps every time I switch to another activity.

Would be nice if the box supported more commands via IR, but for now I'm a happy camper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Sorry to bump this old thread, but has anyone found a way to use the guide/info buttons on the harmony with the horizon box?

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Sorry to bump this old thread, but has anyone found a way to use the guide/info buttons on the harmony with the horizon box?

I think - and I could be wrong :o but those commands are sent over bluetooth and not IR, and as such doesn't support the Harmony. I've found by pressing the "prev" button a number of times, you backup through the menus and can select the guide & info options from the OSD, not the cleanest approach though.

I'd be eager to hear if anyone had a better suggestion

There is another way, you can click the ok a couple of times and you can get to the guide, but if we could have the guide in a button by itself it would be great :D

ondafly wrote: »
    I think - and I could be wrong :o but those commands are sent over bluetooth and not IR, and as such doesn't support the Harmony. I've found by pressing the "prev" button a number of times, you backup through the menus and can select the guide & info options from the OSD, not the cleanest approach though.

I'd be eager to hear if anyone had a better suggestion

You are wrong :) about the bluetooth. Its a RF remote.

But yea, direct access buttons for guide/etc dont work on the IR versions of remotes including the harmony and Android phones with IR capability like the HTC.

The Applications for IOS and android that run over the wifi network connected to the horizon box do have these shortcut buttons.

So theres three remote control methods, wifi, IR and RF.

hay,
    just posted in the HE section about this.
    I have ordered a harmony ultimate from richer sounds.
    so most of the functions can be controlled ?

Yeah most of them are, channels are also automatically downloaded (they are more or less accurate) with their icons as favorites. It's the guide/info buttons that do not work. And you can't teach them from the horizon remote as it is RF while the harmony is IR/bluetooth.

Thanks AstraMonti,
    I was going to cancel my order.Not alot of info out there.
    I have a 10 year old harmony 885 still going strong but having 2 remotes is a pain in the hoop.

there must be a way to get it to work over wifi.
    if the ultimate can work the philips hue over wifi and the phone app works the info/guide buttons via wifi there has to be something there.

The box is such a PoS.Why they went to RF for basic buttons is beyond me.

in fact i just canceled my order :(
    If thats the case I can get my 885 to do all the same stuff .

was looking forward to a new toy

Updated my 885 and its working nicely with the horizon box!
    saved myself a few quid too.
    had to use a macro for the guide button tho.

• Advertisement

What kind of macro did you do? Press menu and move right right for example?

When hit guide it does menu,enter,right,enter

The guide always seems to go back to a default position.Only time will tell if it throws out any bugs.

Just tried the same sequence with my ultimate, it doesn't work, I have to hit the button 3 times to get there.

have you tried messing with the delays to the box?
    think I put mine at 500ms

Yeah with the delay (1s was the lowest I could put) it worked. Now I am trying to figure out how to return to the previous channel.

good luck!
    keep me posted.
    Info would be nice too

urbanledge wrote: »
    good luck!
    keep me posted.
    Info would be nice too

Info is select -> down -> select with delays. I haven't figured out the channel back yet.

So simple.
    pity it takes so many clicks tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭pearsefitz

I know this is an old thread but when I used Samsung and SMT g7400 instead of horizon in watch TV activity setup I got it working. Now favourites change channels and using the harmony(blue) Alexa skill I have TV changing channels.

• Advertisement

pearsefitz wrote: »
    I know this is an old thread but when I used Samsung and SMT g7400 instead of horizon in watch TV activity setup I got it working.

Already covered in post #4

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

we don’t drag up old threads

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement