Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's are some of the worst (but still playable/enjoyable) games you've ever played?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Fire Warrior, apparently, on the PS2.
    Everyone tells me it's awful but I had a great time playing it
    Halo ODST, again, most on Boards thought it sacked but I really enjoyed it, aside from the smooth jazz soundtrack!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

I knew it wasn't a great game, but I had an obscene amount of fun playing it. It even made it into my top 10 games of the year that year, so I felt strongly enough about it to publish a list that included it, regardless of the abuse I let myself in for :P

Must dig it out some day actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Halo ODST, again, most on Boards thought it sacked but I really enjoyed it, aside from the smooth jazz soundtrack!

The only PS2 game I have left is Fire Warrior, don't even have a PS2 anymore. Great game though. On the contrary, I only ever heard decent things about it, critical response was decent as well. Very tough game though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

briany wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever played and stuck with a bad game but I have played bad games which I didn't know were bad at the time because I had little else to compare them to. I, shamefully, not only owned a copy of FIFA 64 but played the hell out of it. I think even then I knew it was kind of bad - headers were almost impossible to pull off and I knew that shouldn't be. I persisted with it, though, because it was new at them time and this was when 3D games were new and we all thought they were amazing. It wasn't until I rented ISS 64 that things were put into perspective.

Was that the FIFA where it was hilariously simple to score mad goals from the halfway line? My cousin had it and I think I remember that you could steer a shot into the goal from ridiculous distances.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The only PS2 game I have left is Fire Warrior, don't even have a PS2 anymore. Great game though. On the contrary, I only ever heard decent things about it, critical response was decent as well. Very tough game though.

At last, someone else who appreciates Fire Warrior!
    It is certainly streets ahead of Space Marine that came out last year.
    I never found out particularly hard though.
    Best FPS on the PS2 is Coldwinter though, a fantastic game, reminding one of the best parts of Goldeneye, quite long too.

• Advertisement

Fire Warrior was really well recieved by critics and I assume gamers. One of those games I sunk days into and fondly remember. Really must get a copy as I recently got my PS2 out and have been meaning to buy it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

COYVB wrote: »
    X-Men Origins: Wolverine

I knew it wasn't a great game, but I had an obscene amount of fun playing it. It even made it into my top 10 games of the year that year, so I felt strongly enough about it to publish a list that included it, regardless of the abuse I let myself in for :P

Must dig it out some day actually

Great game! It was dumb as hell, but that was all part of it's charm, I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I think the negativity for Fire Warrior started with Warhammer fans who kept on winging about how whatever gun should be more/less powerful and that you shouldn't be able to mow down Space Marines and it just spread from there. I really like it...played it a bit last week. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I actually thought Space Marine was a great game as well. The online multiplayer was particularly brilliant - though I did enjoy the SP campaign as well - put a lot of time into it and that aspect of the game deserved much better than the attention it received.

I have a soft spot for 18 Wheeler: America Pro Trucker on PS2. Partially because playing the arcade cab with the massive sterring wheel was great craic, and partially because I like trucks... It's a pretty awful game though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,095 ✭✭✭✭briany

Was that the FIFA where it was hilariously simple to score mad goals from the halfway line? My cousin had it and I think I remember that you could steer a shot into the goal from ridiculous distances.

Possibly. No memory of anything like that particularly sticks out for me but then it has been about 15 years since I last played the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

The Sherlock holmes game on the Xbox particularly Jack the Ripper one. Totally unpolished but I enjoyed them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Ultimate Soccer Manager 98 on the PC

It had all the necessary features you come to expect from a management game;
    Buy/Sell players
    Set your training schedule as you see fit
    Choose your formation and starting 11
    Change the price of burgers
    Create set-piece tactics
    Improve your stadium
    Change the price of hotdogs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Duke Nukem Forever, enjoyed it for the sheer wtf factor.

Fire Warrior was really well recieved by critics and I assume gamers. One of those games I sunk days into and fondly remember. Really must get a copy as I recently got my PS2 out and have been meaning to buy it again.

Nope, it wasn't.
    It was felt by many critics to be mediocre, but those who have played it quite liked it, which has pushed it's metacritic rating up somewhat since then.
    And I still love it, though I haven't played it in over 6 years, at least!

Nope, it wasn't.
    It was felt by many critics to be mediocre, but those who have played it quite liked it, which has pushed it's metacritic rating up somewhat since then.
    And I still love it, though I haven't played it in over 6 years, at least!

I don't know if it's just me but most of the reviews on metacritic are quite positive. Granted they may not be rave reviews but the majority of critics seemed to enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Definitely Deadly Premonition.

I've just started playing it and the game itself is terrible. There is not one thing it does well from a gameplay point of view imo.

However as a big twin peaks fan, I love the characters, soundtrack and dialogue so far. It's blatantly ripped off from the show.

So I'm just rushing through whatever game there is to watch the story play out. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Seaaan

Far Cry 2. The graphics were great and all that, but I genuinely found it THE most boring game I've ever played. Only thing I played for were graphics. There was nothing else appealing about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Seaaan wrote: »
    Far Cry 2. The graphics were great and all that, but I genuinely found it THE most boring game I've ever played. Only thing I played for were graphics. There was nothing else appealing about it.

God yeah, the getting sick thing was stupid, and it was dull as ditchwater to play, haven't played 3 yet but it looked to be a big improvement from what I saw my housemate playing of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Seaaan

krudler wrote: »
    God yeah, the getting sick thing was stupid, and it was dull as ditchwater to play, haven't played 3 yet but it looked to be a big improvement from what I saw my housemate playing of it.

Never really played past the first mission. Set things on fire but then got bored.. Number 3 was good, a friend had it and I played a bit. Still not too fond on the UI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Seaaan wrote: »

I really liked it. The open world and straight forward fps style. I did get a special edition on sale with a decent truck as the other vehicles seemed crap. The weapon missions were great. I had great fun with the IEDs and the explosive crossbow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Last Battle on the Megadrive, it was the PAL version of Fist of the north star. Repetitive gameplay and only one life for the whole game. It had a certain charm all the same but I knew it was terrible, proud I finished it.

Is it wrong that I really want to play that Ride To Hell biker game? I've heard nothing but bad things about it, but I'm sure I'd get a laugh out of playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Fussgangerzone

Blood 2.

It actually came out after Half-Life, the poor thing, and I picked it up on the cheap.

Everything about is said "Games will no longer get away with being so style-over-substance, and will actually need to be interesting to play". Not true of course, but it felt that way.

Still, you could blow enemies to bits, and the flare gun was good for setting them on fire. The "evil-ness" made it interesting too, if you were a sucker for that stuff like me. It was utterly without grace though, and the final boss was a joke.

Advertisement