Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Party leader's allowance 'cut'?

• 23-10-2013 3:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

The Irish Times reports that the Party Leader's allowance is to be cut by 10% or €840k. Great.

It goes on to say "The Bill published by Minister for Public Expenditure Brendan Howlin will reduce the so-called party leader’s allowance by €840,000 or 10 per cent. The allowance is paid to all qualified political parties and a total of some €7.5 million was paid out in 2012."

Sharp brains will notice that €840k is not 10% of €7.5M.

Therefore if the allowance was €7.5M in 2012, it must have increased by a lot more than 10% since 2012 - so the reduction is only removing some of the increase that they've been paying themselves. I presume it's index-linked or something.

Or am I missing something?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Enda has been on the gravy train long enough to know any cuts he makes in relation to this allowance will mean very little to him but he can still use the '10%' headline when he's making one of his speeches that have been written for him.
    Pure window dressing and nothing else.

enda75.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

looks like 12% was added last year to balance out the 10% being removed this year.
    it's actually a 60k rise.

i wouldnt expect anything less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Reesy wrote: »
    The Irish Times reports that the Party Leader's allowance is to be cut by 10% or €840k. Great.

It goes on to say "The Bill published by Minister for Public Expenditure Brendan Howlin will reduce the so-called party leader’s allowance by €840,000 or 10 per cent. The allowance is paid to all qualified political parties and a total of some €7.5 million was paid out in 2012."

Sharp brains will notice that €840k is not 10% of €7.5M.

Therefore if the allowance was €7.5M in 2012, it must have increased by a lot more than 10% since 2012 - so the reduction is only removing some of the increase that they've been paying themselves. I presume it's index-linked or something.

Or am I missing something?

You're missing how it's calculated. It's not a simple 1:1 figure, you get money per TD/Senator but it's reduced if your party is in Government, so if a bunch of TDs or Senators leave Government parties, the total amount given out increases as they still get their payment but it's no longer reduced for being in a Government Party. Even the above is probably not the whole story, the accounting surrounding these payments can be arcane.

Advertisement