Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holloway sacked.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Was just about to post this.Seems nuts to sack him ,he did well to get them up and it was always going to be a struggle.Bit premature,less than a year into the job .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

yabadabado wrote: »
    Was just about to post this.Seems nuts to sack him ,he did well to get them up and it was always going to be a struggle.Bit premature?

I agree, losing possibly their most influential attacking player from last year cant have helped either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Rumours were that he lost the dressing room,this seems to be old news as the stories that did the rounds since last season were that players were loyal to the previous manager & saw Holloway merely as an imposter.

zerks wrote: »
    Rumours were that he lost the dressing room,this seems to be old news as the stories that did the rounds since last season were that players were loyal to the previous manager & saw Holloway merely as an imposter.
    Freedman was only there about 18 months but if the players weren't in favour of Holloway its a wonder they got promoted at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Wait, sacked? The news story said he offered to resign and his resignation was initially rejected!
    Parish did not want to lose his manager and had no intention of firing him after the 4-1 defeat against Fulham at Selhurst Park, but Holloway has forced his hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

He did unbelievably well to get them promoted and overachieved. He lost his most prolific striker (30 league goals last year) to injury for this entire season, and had their most exciting attacking player pouched by the Premiership champions.

Now he's got the boot 8 games into the Premier league season, a league which they wouldn't even be in but for him?

I hope it was Holloways decision to go, otherwise why the bloody hell do Palace expect? Even with Murray, Zaha and reinforcements, they would struggle this season. Lose your two best players from an already overachieving side, step up to a higher level, and you are pretty much screwed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I wonder would he have left if Fulham didn't score those 2 wonder goals in their 4-1 defeat?

If he offered his resignation, then I think it was a silly decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Martin O'Neill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,416 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

mike65 wrote: »
    Martin O'Neill

Linked to every vacant position and I can't for the life of me understand why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I am Jacks complete lack of surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Breaking news now on SS News.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Linked to every vacant position and I can't for the life of me understand why.

Sure he did a great job at Leicester City!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Martin O'Neill

Doubt it, I think Palace will be looking to avoid relegation.

Alan Curbishley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I doubt he was sacked tbh.

They're going down either way. Team isn't even close to being good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Couple of my mates are Palace fans and they say the vast majority of the fan base and most importantly the squad, can't stand him. The main reason is that Freedman was very popular with everyone concerned and they feel they went up in spite of Holloway (his record hasn't been anything to write home about at all in fairness) and his tactics. They also say he has been given plenty of support from the board to do what he wants in the transfer market but has signed underwhelmingly.

As for replacements, I don't think they should even consider Martin O'Neill and have made my feelings on him know time and time again on here. It really is an awful time to try to hire a new manager as there's very little out there.

Tony Pulis would probably be the best option. He'd at least make them hard to beat which is the complete opposite of what they are now. Give him a 3 year deal and allow him to rebuild if they do go down, which being honest is likely as Fergie would struggle to keep that lot up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Pulis is a good shout, would be a good appointment.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

8 games in, 2 managers sacked/left already. Same aul story.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

8 games in, 2 managers sacked/left already. Same aul story.

What's the alternative for those two clubs though? Sit back and watch the inevitable relegation happen without even trying to fix it? It was clear both appointments weren't working. They may as well have a go, at least then if/when they get relegated they can say they tried to fix it.

The money it will cost them to get rid and replace is pocket change compared to what you get for staying up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

So so happy. Can't stand Holloway and his 'Look at me I'm so zany' act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Don't think a change of manager is going to make a difference, they're still going to get relegated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

jamesbere wrote: »
    Don't think a change of manager is going to make a difference, they're still going to get relegated.

And finish bottom.

I hate to break this to the Crystal Palace board but they were always going down :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Once again it seems the worst thing a manager could have done was get his side into the top division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Desperate act by a desperate board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

The Palace fans may well moon over Freedman, but HE was the one who left them, jumped ship for Bolton, and has led them to a relegation battle in Championship.

Holloway is probably not good enough tactically for Primula league but has never really had a squad that has given him a chance to address that theory. He completely deserved the credit for getting them up, regardless of what the Freedman fantasists think.

Wish him luck wherever he ends up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Doubt it, I think Palace will be looking to avoid relegation.

How many teams has O'Neill relegated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Have to say Holloway was incredibly honest in his statement about making a mistake in undervaluing the spirit last seasons players had and the new players not having that.

After leaving a club very few managers would be as forthcoming with what he did wrong. Like him or not, he's always been more brutally honest than most managers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

fullstop wrote: »

Same number as Roddy Collins

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Frisbee wrote: »
    So so happy. Can't stand Holloway and his 'Look at me I'm so zany' act.
    I just wish there was a thumbs down button for ridiculous comments like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

So long Holloway and your bullshít rants. You will not be missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

He didn't get sacked, his press conference was a real honest one fair play to him and the club for having a press conference like they did.

Holloway for the Ireland job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

S28382 wrote: »
    He didn't get sacked, his press conference was a real honest one fair play to him and the club for having a press conference like they did.

Holloway for the Ireland job.

He'd probably knock Tony O' Donoghue out during a post match conference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

That_Guy wrote: »
    He'd probably knock Tony O' Donoghue out during a post match conference.

You say that like its a bad thing! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

owen garvan will be delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Goodnight sweet prince

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Paully D wrote: »

As for replacements, I don't think they should even consider Martin O'Neill and have made my feelings on him know time and time again on here. It really is an awful time to try to hire a new manager as there's very little out there.

I don't think O'Neill should consider it if they asked. I still hope he gets the Ireland job.

Palace are going back down no matter who takes over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

fullstop wrote: »

The answer is none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

How horrible , Holloway is a character who at least tried to play football the right way , to be replaced by the dour , king of hoofball , Tony Pullis - the EPL has been a breadth of fresh air without Pulis antiquated anti-football - hoped , he had
    gone away for good. Hope they go down now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I hate to break this to the Crystal Palace board but they were always going down :p

Bizarre acceptance of this right from the off has been riling Palace fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

thebaz wrote: »
    How horrible , Holloway is a character who at least tried to play football the right way , to be replaced by the dour , king of hoofball , Tony Pullis - the EPL has been a breadth of fresh air without Pulis antiquated anti-football - hoped , he had
    gone away for good. Hope they go down now.
    To be honest, i'd prefer neither of them to be managing in the PL. Pulis because he's a very bad loser and his "brand" of football. But Holloway is just an attention seeker and tries constantly to be jack the lad. His teams do play good football, but are very naive at the back. No great loss. He'll walk into the Boro job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

At least they have an easy game on Saturday - arsenal :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Is Steve Parish hoping to find the next Pochettino and turn things around like Southampton have.

Only problem is Southampton have better players.

Holloway for Ireland?? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Nice of him to leave after he brought in a load of no hope players into the squad and guaranteed that they'll be relegated probably with one of the lowest point totals ever. Should have been sacked last April and I agree with previous posts that palace got promoted inspite of him not because of him. Grade A Twat who wasn't honest at all in his press conference, just trying to hide his failings and promote himself, as always.

Is Steve Parish hoping to find the next Pochettino and turn things around like Southampton have.

Only problem is Southampton have better players.

Holloway for Ireland?? :D

Atkins was actually doing ok with Southampton when he was sacked. They had a bad patch but he had got them going again. Was a harsh sacking at the time, even if Pochettino has moved onto another level since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

Holloway and Crystal Palace signed far too many average players in the summer.

Players in:

Stephen Dobbie - Brighton (Undisclosed fee, 2 year contract)
    Dwight Gayle - Peterborough (Undisclosed fee, 4 year contract)
    Jerome Thomas - Unattached (Free, 2 year contract)
    José Campaña - Sevilla (Undisclosed fee, 4 year contract) Hhhhh ik
    Kevin Phillips - Unattached (Free, 1 year contract)
    Elliot Grandin - Unattached (Free, 1 year contract)
    Marouane Chamakh - Arsenal (Free, 1 year contract)
    Neil Alexander - Unattached (Free, 1 year contract)
    Florian Marange - Unattached (Free, 1 year contract)
    Jason Puncheon - Southampton (Season long loan)
    Jimmy Kebe - Reading (£2m, 3 year contract)
    Jack Hunt - Huddersfield (Undisclosed fee, 4 year contract)
    Adrian Mariappa - Reading (Undisclosed fee, 3 year contract)
    Barry Bannan - Aston Villa (Undisclosed fee, 3 year contract)
    Cameron Jerome - Stoke (Season long loan)
    Adlène Guedioura - Nottingham Forest (Undisclosed fee, 3 year contract)
    Osman Sow - Unattached __________________

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If Holloway had lost the dressing room or proved incompetent / conservative in player acquisition over the summer then they could be reasonable grounds for moving him on at this juncture.

But on a general level I would suggest that such sackings are hasty and short sighted. It surely would be a better option at times for clubs to take relegation on the chin, use the year up to stabilise finances and allow the year's experience at that level to benefit squad and manager and leave them in a position to attack promotion and be in a better position to capitalise the second time they go up.

All too often, a manager who did a good job getting the squad up is jettisoned; and players who could be very useful the following year are discarded for short term desperation signings that will be a headache in the event of relegation. I don't get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    But on a general level I would suggest that such sackings are hasty and short sighted.
    He walked, he wasn't sacked. Basically he made a complete mess of the squad after they got promoted and he walked before it goes from bad to worse.
    James__10 wrote: »
    Holloway and Crystal Palace signed far too many average players in the summer.

Players in:

Stephen Dobbie ...

That list of players is a sackable offence in itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Holloway aside from play offs has only won 3 league games since march.

If he hadn't won the play offs he would of been gone in the summer I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    If Holloway had lost the dressing room or proved incompetent / conservative in player acquisition over the summer then they could be reasonable grounds for moving him on at this juncture.

But on a general level I would suggest that such sackings are hasty and short sighted. It surely would be a better option at times for clubs to take relegation on the chin, use the year up to stabilise finances and allow the year's experience at that level to benefit squad and manager and leave them in a position to attack promotion and be in a better position to capitalise the second time they go up.

All too often, a manager who did a good job getting the squad up is jettisoned; and players who could be very useful the following year are discarded for short term desperation signings that will be a headache in the event of relegation. I don't get it.

I don't think it's really that easy. If Holloway stated for the season and got relegated as badly as we all expect I just think it's a very difficult spot for him to just bounce back. Squad morale would be very low - would he be able to motivate them again? I'm not sure the players would have much faith in the manager either after being poor for that length of time. Getting told by your boss to do X,Y,Z etc and then that failing miserably then maybe after a while you'd start to wonder if he has a cue as to what he's talking about, I'd think it's only natural.

Not to mention when you look at his signing it would be hard to trust him with money again to be honest. Also, if they stuck with him and he did get promoted then what do you do next summer. Hope he suddenly becomes good enough for the Premiership or suddenly figures out how to buy good players.

• Advertisement
Advertisement