Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighter Head

Options
  • 23-10-2013 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭

I sometimes suffer from a bizzarre syndrome called Fighter Head (not the medical term). This usually occurs after tournaments. Basically, when I return home after a really intense tournament, I can't sleep due to constantly replaying the matches over and over in my head. Thinking about different outcomes that could have been possible and so on, regardless of how well I preformed at the event. I lay wide awake for hours like this, and it usually results in a sh1te night's sleep. It's different from just having a bout of the Tetris Effect though, as I've been there, done that, and I know how it feels. This is something completely different. It's like my brain is on overdrive... or for the sake of a pun, is set to four stars of Turbo.

Does this happen anyone else, or am I just a wee bit mental?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ladnopoka

Don't ever play Azza. You wont stop thinking about the matches.

On the other hand it doesn't happen to me but I think I know how you feel, I sometimes cant sleep because I keep thinking about stuff I could have done better in real life, but in video games I'm really calm and if I fail in a game I only think about it for an hour or less. However when I win for example a tournament I think about it for a day or two and sleep even better knowing that I did well :P

Hope you will get better and you will feel more chill about video games =)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

The odd thing is, it's not just thinking about how it went if I do badly. for example, I came second in the weekly tournament here in Galway on monday night. I was well happy with this result, yet I still had a rotten night's sleep due to Fighter Head and over-anylizing everything. I think it may have something to do with the adrenaline involved. It used to happen me after gigs back when I used to play music. We'd play a great show, yet my mind would still be on turbo all night, and I couldn't sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The only thing I get are "shakes" after a particularly intense tournament match.

Never happens during casuals or online, but after a particularly hard set it takes me a few minutes to calm down.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    The only thing I get are "shakes" after a particularly intense tournament match.

Never happens during casuals or online, but after a particularly hard set it takes me a few minutes to calm down.

Yeah, I get those too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I tend to obsess over beating an individual player. When I do eventually beat them in a tournament then in my head I move on to the next.

When I lose closely to someone I'm doing my best to beat that does stick in my head a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭jimmypenguin

spud.. i get it alot.. i play too much..
    been playing cody for a week now and my brain doesnt stop trying to work stuff out..

interesting thing is its your brain trying to work out a problem that it cant really solve.. sometimes my brain goes on loop with 2 opponents crouch light attacking and it just loops on and on.. what it is is your brain figuring out what beats what.. but it cant really do that without knowing the frame data.. and wouldnt need to either if it already knew..

study your frame data, YOULL SLEEP BETTER!!

This could be the most probable answer alright. It would make prefect sense that my brain could be on overdrive because it doesn't know how to solve the problem at hand. It certainly makes things interesting anyways.

I'm glad to great that I'm not the only one who gets Fighter Head.

good name for the doc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

yer all mental!

On a serious note, it's only a bitta fun dude, just focus on getting better :) spilt milk and all that (not to sound harsh)

Ramza wrote: »
    yer all mental!

On a serious note, it's only a bitta fun dude, just focus on getting better :) spilt milk and all that (not to sound harsh)

As I said earlier in the thread, it's not just upon losing that I get this. Regardless of how well I do, I still find myself overthinking it all afterwards. As for the fun, I absolutely love the craic of playing fighters. I always have, and that's the reason I still play. If I wasn't in it for the fun, I wouldn't bother at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

I understand 100%.

That feeling I get in Marvel when a opposing player gets crossed up by pipe in marvel is a lucritive high that puts me not only in a euphoric high but, a fit of laughter knowing how fraudulent they are, little upsetting really.

In IJ: one lingering thought coarses through my head "sigh* I should have done more F23"

Srs though, don't ruminate too hard, view the available footage of it, then mark out mistakes and improve OR deny everything and challenge opponent to MM for dishonoring your play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

All the time......

either were mad or our brains work slightly differantly.. not sure..

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Kuro Tao

I don't tend to lose sleep over it or get overly stressed about it, but it does bug me when I lose to something that I know I have an answer to or I should have seen coming. That'll eat at me as a player for a bit.

Other than that, if I've been playing a lot of a certain fighter in particular, I think about things I could try out or setups etc when I have free time, like on a bus for example, but again wouldn't lose sleep over it.

I'd say the best way to get over it is to understand the error(s) you make as a player, and try your best to understand what beat you and how you can stop it next time, though I'm already echoing what everyone else has said!

Advertisement