Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf Prices Autumn 2013

Options
  • 23-10-2013 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

Don't see an up to date thread on calf prices, so here we go!

Anyone buy any calves yet?
    What are prices like?
    Don't think I'll be rearing any this back-end, but if the price is €100 less than last year, I may be tempted...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

PatQfarmer wrote: »

What are prices like?
    Don't think I'll be rearing any this back-end, but if the price is €100 less than last year, I may be tempted...

Can see calves been scarce enough till next April as they've a lot of potential super levy milk to drink up!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

PatQfarmer wrote: »

What are prices like?

Can see calves been scarce enough till next April as they've a lot of potential super levy milk to drink up!!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

mahoney_j wrote: »

I hope you're right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭jersey101

Getting 80e here at 3 weeks old

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

jersey101 wrote: »
    Getting 80e here at 3 weeks old

Mad money for jerseys, you should be giving them away for free really ;)

• Advertisement

nashmach wrote: »
    Mad money for jerseys, you should be giving them away for free really ;)

ye cant pit a good JE down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

ye cant pit a good JE down :)

might be better off if they were put down :D

simx wrote: »

true. Ive 3 of em at home and no where for em to go. Anyone interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭easymoney!

i winder would u if got them for less then 30 euro and brought them through to killing would u have something out of them? suppose you"d have to put alot a money into them

easymoney! wrote: »
    i winder would u if got them for less then 30 euro and brought them through to killing would u have something out of them? suppose you"d have to put alot a money into them

i have 4 of em that are 18 mnths old and all they ever got is silge grass and a few does. Round 350kilos id say

• Advertisement

i have 4 of em that are 18 mnths old and all they ever got is silge grass and a few does. Round 350kilos id say

thats a great weight for jerseys that age!!i know there jerseys but have they any flesh cover worth talking about?? if you could, keep them and kill yourself?

thats a great weight for jerseys that age!!i know there jerseys but have they any flesh cover worth talking about?? if you could, keep them and kill yourself?

one of em is very good. Im going to keep him for a teaser. Very good for picking up heifers the others are alright. I dont know what to do with em. Ive heard of this vegtable oil like stuff that puts weight on pure HO's. That might do a job on em

one of em is very good. Im going to keep him for a teaser. Very good for picking up heifers the others are alright. I dont know what to do with em. Ive heard of this vegtable oil like stuff that puts weight on pure HO's. That might do a job on em

what about angel dust ;-) ,, if i was you id keep them and try and get your money out of em... were could ya sorce that stuff?

what about angel dust ;-) ,, if i was you id keep them and try and get your money out of em... were could ya sorce that stuff?

the lad that was using it got it from kw forages i think. He's only 22 and started out last year with 30 HO stores. Put them on kale for the winter and fattened them in spring off grass. He has 120 of em this year on 40 acres of kale. Said he made a nice bit of money last year at minimal cost

the lad that was using it got it from kw forages i think. He's only 22 and started out last year with 30 HO stores. Put them on kale for the winter and fattened them in spring off grass. He has 120 of em this year on 40 acres of kale. Said he made a nice bit of money last year at minimal cost

god that sounds promising neighbour man fattens stores on kale beside us and puts bales of silage 5 ft apart so 2 fresh bales with them all the time in my experience friesians all thrive better out wintered !! i take it he fed it through meal?

god that sounds promising neighbour man fattens stores on kale beside us and puts bales of silage 5 ft apart so 2 fresh bales with them all the time in my experience friesians all thrive better out wintered !! i take it he fed it through meal?

im.not to sure tbh think they just got kale and silage and then were fattened with meal and grass

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Keep the focus ha, let them on even if for nothing, 2015 only around the corner and ya defo don't need low margin animals robbing your grass! I'm selling every single beef calf from now on.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Keep the focus ha, let them on even if for nothing, 2015 only around the corner and ya defo don't need low margin animals robbing your grass! I'm selling every single beef calf from now on.

ye i only have these ones coz a lad was suppised to buy em and he never came. Ill bring em knackery from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

have 3 good square br/fr bull calves 2 weeks old what would i ask for them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

10 fr bulls 2 weeks 100 e in yard

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saranac1

whelan1 wrote: »

Have you a contact number ?
    Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saranac1

whelan1 wrote: »

Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Is it corn oil? They use that for horses in poor condition a cup of corn oil a day puts condition on them fast :)

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Is it corn oil? They use that for horses in poor condition a cup of corn oil a day puts condition on them fast :)
    http://www.kwforagesystems.ie/Products/44/Vistacell

I think its this stuff not sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

http://www.kwforagesystems.ie/Products/44/Vistacell

I think its this stuff not sure though.

Anyone try it, sounds like snake oil :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

saranac1 wrote: »
    Where are you based?

Based in louth i can tell you that much

Where are you based?
    HAVE a guy coming tomorrow to take them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

simx wrote: »

Stop it there is always someone to buy them

I am sure you will manage to sell them some one will get them to twenty months

These I might be interested in are they bulls still

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

Where are you based?

Have 6 in Wicklow

Advertisement