Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I have very heavy hair, wax alternative? (male)

• 23-10-2013 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hey guys,

For the last few years, I've been using red Dax in my hair. My hair is naturally quite heavy (I had a huge curly afro as a kid) and I've been straightening my hair ever since, and using Dax.

It seems to be the only thing that allows me to model my hair as I like (mohawk). However I'd love to find a product that gives me the same amount of control that's not a wax? The main reason for this is because I can't wash my hair everyday, as once I put the wax in, I need to wait atleast three days for it to wear off.

Dax's own brand of shampoo is useless, and doesn't remove it from my hair.

Does anyone know of any product, that is preferably not a gel (it seems to clump my hair together and weigh it down) that's as good as Dax is, but allowing me to wash it out everyday?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭naughtyfox

Have you ever tried baby shampoo? Sounds odd i know but it works for me anyway, i have mega curly hair and have used dax once or twice in an emergency, stolen from himself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I use pomades regularly, and some of them, like Dax red, are very tough to wash out, they're designed to stay in. The Dax shampoo is rubbish. If I need to degrease, I use Tresemme deep cleanse, put it into dry hair, let it sit. Then wash twice in the shower and that'll get 95% out.

But have you tried some of gel pomades? They're different from
    Regular gel, in that they're much thicker and way stronger. You can get Layrite/ Layrite Super Hold in a few barbers around Dublin and Limerick, and there's also Cock Grease xxx, which you get online. That stuff is mentally strong. They're all water soluble which is grey for washing out, but also causes problems in the rain- your style will rinse out.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭IrishTeddi

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I've tried those sorts of shampoos naughty, but it's more about the strength of the wax being too strong for most shampoos to wash out. Dax has to be the hardest stuff to get out of your hair, bar glue :P

I've tried everything to be honest, and leaving my hair for 3/4 days usually weakens the hold and is much easier to wash out.

I just checked out the cock grease xxx crumble, and it looks good. ( what a name though, they're totally going for the shock/cool factor there!) anytime I've seen pomades in the shops, it just looks like it'll rub into my hair like some smooth paste, and I need very strong products to style my hair. Though I've read a review on it and it seems to be quite good. I found a european website....
    http://www.pomade-shop.eu/Cock-Grease-XXX-Water-Type-Pomade/en

It's not on british amazon which sucks, but these guys seem to have it covered. Layrites, never heard of it, but I'll check that out too. If my hair wasn't heavy and thick, I'd not have this issue! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

IrishTeddi wrote: »

I just checked out the cock grease xxx crumble, and it looks good. ( what a name though, they're totally going for the shock/cool factor there!) anytime I've seen pomades in the shops, it just looks like it'll rub into my hair like some smooth paste, and I need very strong products to style my hair. Though I've read a review on it and it seems to be quite good. I found a european website....
    http://www.pomade-shop.eu/Cock-Grease-XXX-Water-Type-Pomade/en

It's not on british amazon which sucks, but these guys seem to have it covered. Layrites, never heard of it, but I'll check that out too. If my hair wasn't heavy and thick, I'd not have this issue! :)

Pomade-shop is great, their delivery is super fast but a bit expensive if you're only buying one product.

TBH you don't need the super thick glue types to get great hold. Most of the water based pomades you buy in the shops here aren't pomades. They're pastes, like you said.

I'd recommend looking at a few pomade reviews, the best ones I know are:

http://dappersociety.wordpress.com/
    http://therebelrouser.wordpress.com/

I also have a pomade 'explainer' on my blog, but I have pretty thin hair, so I don't need the big guns. Cock Grease xxx is too heavy for me!

Thanks for that crumble. I've found other blogs that recount various experiences with the different pomades, and it's good to read them as I think you could waste a good bit of money buying the wrong ones.

I think I need to just focus on the strong/heavy holds that are water based. Otherwise I might aswell be rubbing chicken fat through my hair :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Got 2b glued spiking glue is brilliant. I use it on my 7 year olds sons hair, his hair is very heavy, I don't often spike it but sometimes I spike some of the top and it works great for that, if you read the reviews on Amazon you will see that a lot of people say it makes your hair rock hard but if my son ever wakes up having a good hair day I only need a tiny bit to control it and it works great without being rock hard and it doesn't look like there is anything in it so it's a great multi purpose product. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Got-2B-Glued-Spiking-Glue/dp/B000TG630Q

You can get it in boots and superdrug but I got it in Tesco so it seems to be widely available, it was around €5.

It's pretty easy to remove aswell as my son uses a kids shampoo with no harsh chemicals and it still gets it all out.

Thanks for that Tayla. I'm trying to avoid anything that sets and hardens as once you get it accidentally knocked against, or rubbed, it'll break down and then be fairly useless. I guess that's a benefit of using a tough wax as I have been as being out in harsh wind and/or drizzle, it keeps it's shape pretty well ( just not being able to wash it out is very annoying).

Though, for the price, it wouldn't hurt trying it out anyway! :)

Advertisement