Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need some new textiles..

• 23-10-2013 8:13pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Winter is setting in and I want to buy a new set of textiles. A few months ago I got a set of RST Slice leathers and I'm really happy with them - so I was thinking of getting the RST Slice Textiles too. Thought I might check in here and see if anyone else has got new gear recently? I'm sure they will do everything I need - but then I see there is the pro series too but not sure if it's significantly better or worth it..

Slice: http://www.rst-moto.com/rst-slice-textile-jacket
    Pro Series: http://www.rst-moto.com/rst-pro-series-textile-jacket

Anyone have any recommendations on these or others?
    Cheers
    z

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

I got caught out in a thunderstorm on Saturday night with torrential rain wearing a set of Oxford textiles and can't fault them, i was bone dry underneath when i got home...

Here is what i was wearing...

Jacket is oxford estoril
    Pants are oxford wildfire
    Boots are RST raptors leather
    gloves RST raptor II textile

Soaked on the outside dry and toasty on the inside ;-)

H

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

I have a set of Rst textiles and find them great, have been out in very heavy rain and they have never let water in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Hein Gericke are expensive but the jacket I'm wearing is nearly 20 years old and still fully waterproof. Can't fault that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I have a HG Jacket and it is fantastic. It's never once leaked as it is goretek.

Recently got myself the RST Slice textiles and they are grand and comfortable. Mostly waterproof. Have commuted for 50 minutes in rain and kept dry but leaked when I was in the non stop downpour for 60 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

My RST textile trousers are pretty poor tbh.

They leak behind the knee's and crotch, and the shins from the knees down..

The replaced cheaper pants I'd bought from Aldi which were 100% waterproof.. Thankfully I've kept the Aldi pants and may have to get them out for winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Hein Gericke are expensive but the jacket I'm wearing is nearly 20 years old and still fully waterproof. Can't fault that!

I wouldn't buy anything else tbh. Not expensive for the quality. Involves a trip to Belfast though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Cienciano wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy anything else tbh. Not expensive for the quality. Involves a trip to Belfast though

Is Newry shut?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Del2005 wrote: »
    Is Newry shut?

Yes. HG UK went tits up, were taken over and part of the restructuring saw the Newry HG closing.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I just mailed the guy I bought my leathers from and he's doing the Pro Series jacket and jeans for me, for £200 including delivery! Hard to say no to that...I know the HG stuff is good but I'm not mad on the look of it really. Value wise its hard to say no to the RST's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Zascar wrote: »
    I just mailed the guy I bought my leathers from and he's doing the Pro Series jacket and jeans for me, for £200 including delivery! Hard to say no to that...I know the HG stuff is good but I'm not mad on the look of it really. Value wise its hard to say no to the RST's.

Let us know how you find them anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

If you're looking for good quality stuff but not wanting to fork out too much money, I've been very happy with the textiles I bought from http://www.bikersgearuk.com/

Use Parcel Motel to save on delivery costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

http://www.megamotorcyclestore.co.uk/

sale starting sat..i got some goos stuff at this sale last year, including a hjc fg15 for 50 pounds..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

I picked up some Rev'it textiles at the bike show in the RDS this year. Jupiter Jacket, Factor 2 Trousers

Wearing them all year and have been perfect but went on my first long trip at the weekend Dub - Sligo which wasn't pleasant. Couldn't fault the jacket, dry on the inside but the trousers not so much. On the way over I felt the rain was running up the trousers and under my jacket mainly on the right side (perhaps spray from oncoming traffic). Ass was a bit wet too so I guess it soaked through. On the way back I got completely drowned. The rain seemed to soak right through the lap of the trousers, ass soaked, also broke my phone which was in my pocket!

I haven't treated the material since I bought them in like Feb and I commute daily so maybe it's my own fault. Gonna get on that asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

M450 wrote: »
    I picked up some Rev'it textiles at the bike show in the RDS this year. Jupiter Jacket, Factor 2 Trousers

Wearing them all year and have been perfect but went on my first long trip at the weekend Dub - Sligo which wasn't pleasant. Couldn't fault the jacket, dry on the inside but the trousers not so much. On the way over I felt the rain was running up the trousers and under my jacket mainly on the right side (perhaps spray from oncoming traffic). Ass was a bit wet too so I guess it soaked through. On the way back I got completely drowned. The rain seemed to soak right through the lap of the trousers, ass soaked, also broke my phone which was in my pocket!

I haven't treated the material since I bought them in like Feb and I commute daily so maybe it's my own fault. Gonna get on that asap.
    That 20 year old Hein Gerick jacket I'm wearing has, to the best of my knowledge, never been 'treated'.

Return them. Failing that, bin them. Not worth a ****e if you're getting soaked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

AgileMyth wrote: »
    That 20 year old Hein Gerick jacket I'm wearing has, to the best of my knowledge, never been 'treated'.

Return them. Failing that, bin them. Not worth a ****e if you're getting soaked.

My jacket is the same, 20+ years old and doesn't leak.. I bought RST textile trousers at the last RDS show and they're useless in anything more than a light shower.

Can't return them either, haven't a clue who I bought them from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

My RST textile trousers are pretty poor tbh.

They leak behind the knee's and crotch, and the shins from the knees down..

The replaced cheaper pants I'd bought from Aldi which were 100% waterproof.. Thankfully I've kept the Aldi pants and may have to get them out for winter.

+ 1 on Aldi - well, LIDL actually - got some really nice textiles there a while ago.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement