Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netbook - faulty wifi (network adapter)

Options
  • 23-10-2013 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭

Bought the laptop from PC World in May, worked perfectly up to two weeks ago. However then the wifi functionality took a turn for the worst, very often weak, very often non existant (literally none at all) and if I'm very lucky it will work like normal.

Router is fine, all other devices work fine. Unfortunately, after looking this up a bit online I have since discovered that Acer Aspire laptops are plagued with this type of problem, and much to my dismay none of the many unhappy customers on the acer forums have actually found a solution, and nobody from Acer is offering up any solution.

Lesson to be learned (which was kind of obvious anyway!); Before buying an electronic device such as a phone, laptop, tablet, mp3 player and so on; for the love of god, do some research on the product before you commit to buy it, particularly when it comes to common faults/problems!!:D

So what are my options here? Return it to PC World and what is the procedure likely to be? (Not looking for a refund, I know that ship sailed long ago)

What exactly does the warranty entitle me to with regard to repairs or potentially replacing faulty parts? What kind of costs should I expect to incur in getting this issue fixed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Would be suprised if it had anything less than a 1 year warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Give bringing it back a go but if it's a case of poor reception as opposed to none then they'll probably tell you that it's not actually faulty but it a poor design. (Although the company themselves would never admit to that)

I know that is a fat lot of good to you though.

I presume you tried the usual fixes after checking forums:

Switching from Wireless N to B or G (N is faster but has a smaller range)
    Moving router from devices like microwaves, TVs, PCs etc if possible
    Maybe change broadcast channel on router

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Backup your stuff, as most places will just reimage your laptop, before trying any further troubleshooting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I may have solved the problem, a software conflict appears to have been the issue.

Advertisement