Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street light Timers

Options
  • 23-10-2013 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

The lights on my estate are on some kid of timer, they have not adjusted back to winter time. We aren't under the remit of the county council due to a bust developer. Some nights they come on other nights they dont. Not all the estate is affected just 2 cul de sac's. We rang ESB they said its a four figure sum to come out and change the timer. So not going to go that route. I am an electronic engineer and would have no problem changing the timer myself just dont know where to find it or what it looks like.

Does anyone know how to adjust these timers any help with similar issues would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

usually they're wired from a mini-pillar with a photocell per light

• Registered Users Posts: 9 UnluckyLad

There is a photocell on each light, but there has to be some sort of timer. Its seems like certain days they are off. I've only noticed in the last week that they havent been coming on. Any idea what the timer would look like in the mini-pillar? Its only certian areas in the estate that are off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

UnluckyLad wrote: »
    The lights on my estate are on some kid of timer, they have not adjusted back to winter time. We aren't under the remit of the county council due to a bust developer. Some nights they come on other nights they dont. Not all the estate is affected just 2 cul de sac's. We rang ESB they said its a four figure sum to come out and change the timer. So not going to go that route. I am an electronic engineer and would have no problem changing the timer myself just dont know where to find it or what it looks like.

Does anyone know how to adjust these timers any help with similar issues would be greatly appreciated.

Why would you expect lights to change to winter time, when we have not reached it yet?

Photocell controlled lights will not require any resetting to come on as it gets darker earlier.

Edit: Maybe you meant they have not adjusted to the shorter daylight hours we have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparcocars

I encountered the same problem while working in a new housing estate and the builder asked us if we could fix it for him which we did. The estate had 4 public lighting cabinets located at differant points around the estate, each controlling sections of the estate. They were about 800mm high x 1000mm wide x 300mm deep and contained the lighting timers and circuit protection and metering.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 UnluckyLad

Sounds about right there is a large control box at the edge of the cul de sac, The lights came back on last night around 2am. It has to be a timer in use with they photocell.
    Is there a standard digtial timer thats is used. I might be able to get a manual online to show how to adjust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparcocars

Sounds about right there is a large control box at the edge of the cul de sac, The lights came back on last night around 2am. It has to be a timer in use with they photocell.
    Is there a standard digtial timer thats is used. I might be able to get a manual online to show how to adjust.

In the one i came across it was a elctro-mechanical timer so was easy to fix. Take a look anyway as even if its a digital one, it might be fairly straight forward to adjust.
    If you get it fixed and you want to test that the lights come on then all you have to do is turn off the photocell supply and turn it back on. The photcells will allow the lights to come on for a short time regardless of how dark outside it is. Usually there will be an mcb for the photocell circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

are you sure it's a timer issue, some lamps turn off and on almost randomly when near the end of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭iopener

if your going down the timer road to switch the lights on/off, i have installed aload of timers for the same type of job, the best timer i've used so far is THEBEN selekta series time clock, they are astrological so adjust to automatically to sunrise sunset changing during the year, you can also offset the timer to bring on lights up to 2 hours before/after sunset sunrise.they're really handy to programme and have daylight saving function aswell.

Advertisement