Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electric Heater - looking for advice please

• 23-10-2013 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

Could someone kindly help me work this out? My house has oil heating. It's very expensive. I'm at home sick most days, wrapped up well :D but going into the cold weather, I wonder whether a 2kw heater in the sitting room would be better to heat one room? I try not to turn oil on until the evening and only put it on in the whole house (low upstairs) if the temperature goes below zero.

Is it cheaper to have only the sitting room radiator on for a few hours or an electric heater on for a few hours?

Man in shop said 30c an hour for the electric heater (little fake stove) and €150 for the heater itself.

What is the most economical? I bought the oil 200l at 89c a litre. And is there anything i'm not thinking of?

Regards,
    Rose

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

I would imagine it more like 45c/hr once vat and levy are paid, depending on tarrif, and your compairing it with an inflated oil price, possibly inflated because of the small quantity, i recently got €500 worth at 78c, remenber the price of delivery is in the total price.
    Back to your heater. In a room an electric heater can make sense, they do have thermostats and once the room is at the desired temperature it will cycle on the thermostat only turning on to maintain that temperature.

rosehip wrote: »
    And is there anything i'm not thinking of?

A good service can save you money, especially if the boiler hasn't been serviced for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

150€ for an electric heater is a lot. An oil filled heater (portable) would be less than half that.

Is there a chimney in that room?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

That 78c u paid was ex vat?

john_cappa wrote: »
    That 78c u paid was ex vat?

Still a valid comparison, the oil was 78c/lt.
    rosehip wrote: »
    I bought the oil 200l at 89c a litre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

78 ex would be the same as 89 inc was my point is all. So you both paid the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭rosehip

MOTM wrote: »
    150€ for an electric heater is a lot. An oil filled heater (portable) would be less than half that.

Is there a chimney in that room?

Hi, yes, there is a chimney but I have pillow in plastic bag stuffed up it to minimize the draft.

I can't light a fire as health problems mean problem lifting, bending, kneeling etc so looking for bodily energy efficiency as well :)

I thought an oil filled heater would be a bit of a waste as I have an ordinary radiator in the room. Does anyone know how much it costs in oil to just turn on that one wall radiator?

Thanks to everyone for replying. I appreciate it.

Kind regards,
    Rose

I would imagine it more like 45c/hr once vat and levy are paid, depending on tarrif, and your compairing it with an inflated oil price, possibly inflated because of the small quantity, i recently got €500 worth at 78c, remenber the price of delivery is in the total price.
    Back to your heater. In a room an electric heater can make sense, they do have thermostats and once the room is at the desired temperature it will cycle on the thermostat only turning on to maintain that temperature.

A good service can save you money, especially if the boiler hasn't been serviced for a while.

Thanks Billy, good points. I can't take a hot room so the electric would be good then if it kept a consistent low level for a few hours.

The boiler is serviced - that's why I could only afford 200l of oil.

I now have €200 again and wanted to look at the option of the heater before I have to buy another fill of oil.

Kind regards,
    Rose

How big is the room?

Hi Billy, it is 14 by 10. Roughly.

Advertisement