Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help needed: 2-wire alarm system

Options
  • 23-10-2013 9:07pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm struggling to find a few bits I need to close out my alarm system after some work at home. I need 2 white window sensors, one door contact and a PIR, all 2-wire. Anyone know where I could pick these up? They appear to be totally obsolete now but I'd like to avoid having to rewire the whole house. Perhaps someone has done a strip out or knows where I could pick up any or all of the above? Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Is it an Astec alarm?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Moved to Home Security Systems

I have a couple of white Astec window sensors that I can give you.

Standard door contacts can be modified to suit an Astec system by connecting resistors in parallel.

I am sure a standard PIR can be used with a few modifications.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You can wire in standard shock sensors and series in the alarm and tamper together. If there are contacts you will need to wire a 680ohm resistor in parallel with each sensor.
    For the PiR you could convert a standard pir using the same resistor across the contact, but you will need a separate pair for 12vdc power.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

I'm struggling to find a few bits I need to close out my alarm system after some work at home. I need 2 white window sensors, one door contact and a PIR, all 2-wire. Anyone know where I could pick these up? They appear to be totally obsolete now but I'd like to avoid having to rewire the whole house. Perhaps someone has done a strip out or knows where I could pick up any or all of the above? Thanks.

I have a few second hand PIRs if you stuck. For the sensors just use any global sensor.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Ah the good folk of boards.ie. Thanks sincerely all, I'll take ye up on your generous offers.

2011, are you still planning a trip past me?

Altor, if I post you a self addressed jiffy bag with the postage paid could you send one onto me?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

Ah the good folk of boards.ie. Thanks sincerely all, I'll take ye up on your generous offers.

Altor, if I post you a self addressed jiffy bag with the postage paid could you send one onto me?

Sent you a P.M.

Yes, but I don't know when that will be.
    Should be this side of Christmas.
    Will give you a buzz before I head up.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Where are you located Mr magnolia

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

KoolKid wrote: »
    Where are you located Mr magnolia

PM sent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement