Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New poster,some advice please.

Options
  • 23-10-2013 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all
    I'm new to boards and am looking for a bit of advice/help in a situation my father is in.
    My father is a supervisor in a stock room in Cork for the last 7 years.He has recently been informed that the company is downsizing his stockroom in Cork thus removing the need for his role but they are expanding their Dublin and Belfast stockrooms. He has been told that he has the option of a job in the dublin store or be made redundant and receive statutory redundancy only which is 2 weeks per year which he is very reluctant to accept as he is 57 and chances of finding employment in another company will be slim. I guess what i'm trying to ask is can he push for a larger redundancy or is there anything he can do as he doesnt want to travel up and down to dublin either at his age. It would be a huge challenge for him to travel as he doesnt drive.
    Many thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

He can try to negotiate a bigger redundancy package but there is no obligation on the company to enter into such negotiations. The problem is, since the government scrapped the rebate to companies on the statutory portion of the redundancy payment many companies simply cannot afford to pay any additional ex gratia payments on top. A few years ago you might find a company would give an ex gratia lump sum on top of statutory and often this lump sum would be close to the amount of government rebate meaning the company pretty much paid 2 weeks per year to the employee.

Now that is gone so employers are already paying the full statutory payment and are reluctant to pay anything more on top of that

Advertisement