Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Le Pet - Churchtown

• 23-10-2013 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

I was just wondering if anybody knows about this centre? It's relatively close to work and I am considering sending my dog to daycare here a couple times a week maybe but I can't seem to see any reviews or feedback about it online.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Just some observations from looking at their site...
    I like that they have big dogs and little dogs separate.
    However, and I've seen this on other daycare sites and wonder is it a thing they all have, this business of saying that the owner is responsible for anything their dog does whilst in the daycare? Huh? How can I be responsible for my dog when I'm not there? Surely that's the daycare's job?! It makes me wonder is their insurance company not covering them for accidents? I'd want to know this.
    I'd also want to know what is it they do to "discourage" excessive barking, jumping up, inter-dog problems?
    I'd also prefer for a doggy daycare facility to have trained staff: perhaps these folks are, but they don't say so (which would be unusual!) I'd like to see that at least one has done a recognised dog training/behaviour course, or a pet sitter's course. I'd also want all staff to have completed their Canine First Responder course... A hands-on one, not an online one, and have they refreshed this training?

I'm really wary of these big daycare places tbh. They're unregulated and although there are some good ones, I worry that there are a LOT of them springing up all of a sudden, run by people who should have gone to more bother to get some recognised certification behind them.. I'll not go into it here, but I would not leave my dogs in one of them, they're just too big and overwhelming for many dogs! That's my personal choice, but if I did decide to use one, the above are the first questions that spring to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I think they copy and paste those rules - often you see American terms in them etc? There was one a while back on FB which has been open months and months announcing that they were now insured - I kid you not! I agree though - the whole point of day care is leaving them in somebody else's CARE not throwing them all in a room and hoping for the best and if something happens it's not their fault? I'm always suspicious of places that don't rave about their staff and qualifications too..

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭boardbrowser

Speaking of the US, a good percentage of american doggie daycares have live feed via webcams.
    Maybe this is something that should be encouraged here. sure why not?
    It would allow owners to see how their dog's behave around other dogs and as a result help them better understand their dogs social behaviour.
    Just a thought.

Speaking of the US, a good percentage of american doggie daycares have live feed via webcams.
    It would allow owners to see how their dog's behave around other dogs and as a result help them better understand their dogs social behaviour.
    Just a thought.

On one hand I'd love it but on the other I'd be glued to it all day lol! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Just a thought.

I just know I'll see my dog bury it, I just know it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭FlowerGarden

I have used doggy day care before for my two dogs but not the place you're talking about. The reason I stopped using it was that the owner was rarely there as he has another business. Also anytime I went to pick up the dogs I never saw any interaction between the people working there and the dogs. The staff were always on the computer when I went in. The dogs were segregrated into different cage type areas and let into the arena according to their size and who they got on with.
    If there were cameras I would be more inclined to use the facility again.

+1 this is a gripe of mine with the daycare we use - don't have a FB page unless you're going to post pics of the dogs - and not just one side (big / small) both! Hire a social media intern or something if you're too busy to take pics!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ckvet

I have few different experience with dog daycare, and I wouldn't leave my dog there. I agree in part with DBB said. Plus pictures just show what they want people to see. I think if the place doesn't have cameras you should visit the place few times in different hours and days.
    About the qualifications I think they are not as much as a piece of paper if people don't have practice.
    But is

ckvet wrote: »
    I WOULD NOT!!!

?!?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭hpsheba

Few points of daycare and I am involved with one. First not all dog are suitable for daycare so assessment should be done on your dog, but that assessment should be ongoing and you should get regular feedback from staff on how your dog is coping in the daycare. Dont take offence if you are told that your dog is not suitable, it does not mean your dog has an major issue or behavioural problem just that maybe daycare is too stimulating or over whelming for him/her. I would be more wary of a daycare that accepted every dog that one who refuses more than they take in.

Secondly , all the staff should at least have canine first aid as DBB said, but preferably some other canine experience and qualifications. This can be a mine field so visit and see how they come across to you in person, are you happy with what you are seeing, do they know what they are talking about. BUT do look at the qualifications and ask what experience the staff have. One thing that is hard to judge is the quality of the qualifications. There are so many courses and "qualifications" for doggy people available now and some are not worth the paper they are written on so ask ask ask.

Insurance, well any business operating without insurance is just mental but again ask if you thing the set up look dodgy at all.

One point I would like to pick up here as someone commented on earlier is that daycares are unregulated. YES they are BUT so is dog training, dog grooming, dog behavioral work, dog rescues and basically all things dog related. There are some good " associations that are available for people who work with dogs to join but these are generally more like clubs than professional associations as they do not guarantee the quality of the service that members provide. Most have guidelines that members verbally or sign to say they will agree to abide by but to my knowledge none of these association do spot check or site visits so are really more like clubs IMO.

Anyway best of luck looking for a daycare, the one you mentioned I have never heard a bad word about. And I heard that the girl who runs it is lovely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement