Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the most exotic meat you have ever eaten and where did you get it / eat it ?

Options
  • 23-10-2013 9:52pm
    Site Banned Posts: 9

I have eaten Crocodile (no jokes about making it snappy etc), I ate this on the Aran Islands of all places in a cozy little pub on Iniseer.

I also tried shark in the Cayman Islands.

I tried Ostrich in Germany.

I tried bat in Micronesia ( I am a well-traveled individual) :P

I have tried Quail, obtained in Dunnes by mammy and cooked by same .. so done deliciously needless to say :P

You ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TBoneMan

Red Ants and their eggs in Thailand...nice, creamy & crunchy...
    Crickett, Scorpion, Frog & BBQ Rat too

Zebra, Warthog, Wildebeest & Crocodile in South Africa

Warthog was superb, along with Butter Fish in Capetown,100g & your full...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Numerous types of antilopes and buffalo in South Africa.
    Crocodile in Zimbabwe
    Barracuda in Tanzania (was surprisingly tasty)
    Prairie Oysters in Canada
    Elk and reindeer in Norway

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

The best pizza ever (OK I was super hungry) after doing the Sydney Harbour Bridge climb (must do!) in Sydney, Australia with...

Half Kangaroo and Half Emu

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Springbok at a market in London. It was a burger and it was horribly dry and over cooked so I couldn't judge the meat on that experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Whale and dolphin. In Iceland. Super-tasty, whale was probably the nicest meat I've ever had. I don't often tell people though... I've had some appaulled reactions to that. To which I usually respond by telling them I only ate a tiny bit, and threw the rest back as waste, to see their heads explode. mwahaha. (not true obviously)

Ate plenty of game in africa. crocs, various antelope, snake, warthog, ostrich, frogs, zebra.

Had some fish and seafood I can't even pronouce the names of in hawaii. Sharks, sea-urchins, funny looking eels. Some kind of anenome was the stand-out weird one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I had a squirrel satay only last night in London and very tasty it was too

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

Kangaroo Skewers at last years Rose of Tralee.
    Boar two weeks ago at my MIL's(Lidl special) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Snake & fried insects in China
    Tesco value burger in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

rubadub wrote: »
    Tesco value burger in Dublin

Neigh!

I'll get my coat...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I had crocodile in that most exotic of places, Maynooth, Co. Kildare.

A few months back, I made camel pizza. Won't be doing that again. :D

I had Pigeon last year in another exotic location, Celbridge, Co. Kildare (complete with shotgun pellets - it had been shot about 4 hours earlier. You don't get fresher than that).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

tesco value burger would have some exotic meat in i'd say.

Of the top of my head ive tried:
    Crocodile Carpaccio, warthog curry in a restaurant in SA. Shark, snake, kudo, springbok, and various other antelopes in Africa.

ostrich/emu/kangaroo are quite common in supermarkets the world over.

Kangaroo and crocodile are on the menu in Aussie BBQ in dublin too.

Boar, pigeon, pheasant, venison and goat. all not exactly rare to find but could be exotic to some certainly not every day meals to most depending on where you are from.

Alligator+ sword fish surf and turf

Rattlesnake chilli in USA, also buffalo steaks.

Rat/mouse or squirrel and possibly fox while camping but could've just as easily been beef or chicken and an instructor with a sense of humor, either way, look out stomach.

Soylent green. tasted like chicken.

Id say the "exotic" meats are much more common in the modern time, with easy imports and numerous global travellers.
    A certain cut of meat would be much harder to find someone who had tried it. ie balls, penis, head, eyes and various offal. Ive eaten plenty of different species of meat, but not many of those cuts. chicken feet for example, I dont know many folk who've tried those.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

There is a restraunt in Nairobi called Carniovre, when you get seated, there is a rotating rack of dips and sauces on your table. You get a plate with one potatoe and a baby's handful of salad.
    Then a waiter with an animal fresh from the Bar-B-Q on a skewer comes to the table, lobs a bit off onto your plate, tells you the animal and which sauce to use, then he's off to the next table.
    This continues with a different animal on the skewer each time, and doesnt stop coming until you raise a flag on your table to say you are finished.
    I ate lots of different animals that night I went, lost track.

Crocodile and Ostrich where the standouts for me.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    There is a restraunt in Nairobi called Carniovre, when you get seated, there is a rotating rack of dips and sauces on your table. You get a plate with one potatoe and a baby's handful of salad.

they have that in south africa too. (if its a chain and not two similar themed places) very awesome restaurant

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

they have that in south africa too. (if its a chain and not two similar themed places) very awesome restaurant

Was reading up about it after my post, turns out it there is also one in Cairo as well as Jo'Burg

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭duckworth

I had a glass of rabbit blood in a restaurant in Spain. Was weird but nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've eaten kangaroo, ostrich, frog, snail, either croc or alligator (forget which), rabbit, kid goat, bull balls, venison, reindeer,pheasant, woodcock, pigeon, shark.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Was reading up about it after my post, turns out it there is also one in Cairo as well as Jo'Burg

a chain then. Hope they come to Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

TBoneMan wrote: »
    Warthog was superb

+1 .. I missed out on trying Oryx in Namibia which is supposed to be amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TBoneMan

I was in the jo'burg one ...fantastic atmosphere and a great time had by everyone...

Bit of moose in a sausage, wasn't bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I had a 'Trio of exotic meats' (crocodile, kangaroo & shark iirc) once as a starter (on a bed of linguini) in a little bar in Belfast called The Morning Star.

This place also had up to 24oz steaks on the menu - 48oz if you gave them 24 hours notice. Class!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Soylent green. tasted like chicken.

Hmmm, was it not a bit humaney :rolleyes:

gtg60 wrote: »
    Hmmm, was it not a bit humaney :rolleyes:

thats why it tasted like chicken :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

You can regularly get Horsemeat Kebabs in various food markets around Dublin - most usually Farmleigh - I like it.

I've had home cooked Kangaroo and Ostrich, I love both.

Had Camel too, but found it too tough and rubbery.

I like Crocodile from a BBQ - chickeny-fish or fishy-chicken is how I'd describe it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,922 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I had Minke Whale with roasties and soy sauce in Iceland last week. Easily the finest meal I've ever eaten.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I like Crocodile from a BBQ - chickeny-fish or fishy-chicken is how I'd describe it

I found it more like hammy fish, or fishy ham.
    Certainly a carpaccio was more like parma ham or cerrano ham with a fishy after taste.

Not a fish lover so wouldnt be eating it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Locusts fried in butter.
    Snake.
    Lung, not really sure what animal but probably pig as it was in China.
    Lambs sweetbreads, great taste but horrible texture and hell for anyone with gout.

Loads of different Antelope but as I grew up with Kob as the standard curry it doesn't really seem exotic.
    Crocodile and Alligator but it's way overpriced here for what it is, probably tastes better when it's local and cheaper.

I'd love to try badger, apparently it used to be very common to eat it in Ireland, a lot safer than eating the landlords deer.

Piranha fresh from the Amazon... delicious when you can avoid the bones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

this thread has given me an idea - does anyone know of a butchers on the Northside where they sell Kangaroo or Ostrich, available today or tomorrow?

• Advertisement

this thread has given me an idea - does anyone know of a butchers on the Northside where they sell Kangaroo or Ostrich, available today or tomorrow?

http://www.yelp.ie/biz/john-downey-and-son-dublin

It's Terenure not northside, but Dublin's a tiny city to get around so I wouldn't let that turn you off

Advertisement